- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Mogrann

Mogrann

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I did use the search function and could not find anything addressing this. So if there is another thread please lead me to it and I apologize.:)

I just got out of the shower and noticed my skin is yellow in both arm pits. I seem to remember people talking about livers and I know that the liver has to do with jaundice.

I am concerned right now as I am a big worry wart. Looking for reassurances that everything is ok and my diabetes is not wosening. I will be calling doc tomorrow, though I need to get thru tonight.

Thanking everyone in advance

Susan

Mich

Mich

• 500 plus
  • 2,242 posts
Worn any new yellow or orange shirts in hot weather lately? :)

shockme

shockme

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,316 posts
hi susan! generally,jaundice will be observed over the entire body-not just one small part. i like the idea about a new shirt. if it'll ease your mind,go see your dr...trish
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]jan.a1c-9.2...may a1c-6.1...aug.a1c-5.8 jan.a1c 6.0Posted Image

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,151 posts
Also with jaundice the whites of the eye will sometimes turn yellow before the skin does.

BlueSky

BlueSky

• 500 plus
  • 2,566 posts
Yellow skin and nails are associated with diabetes, but the exact cause is not well understood. For some detail, go here :
http://dermatology.c...tes/yellow.html]

From the Medscape website:

Cutaneous Manifestations of Diabetes
from Wounds

Yellow Skin

Yellow nails and skin associated with diabetes is a benign condition with no known significance. The pathological cause of yellow skin remains in controversy. The change may be due to either elevated levels of carotene or nonenzymatic glycosylation of dermal collagen.[4] One glycosylation end product, 2-(2-furoyl)-4(5)-(2-furanyl)-1H-imidazole, has a yellow hue, which could provide the characteristic color of yellow skin.[3,16] The yellow color is best appreciated at the distal hallux of the nails, palms, and soles. There is no current treatment for this condition.

In my humble opinion :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 since 1977
MDI using Lantus, Novorapid and Actrapid

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,795 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
In cases of insulin resistance (whether full-blown diabetes or not), there are changes sometimes noted in the skin on the back of the neck, the thighs and the arm pits...this can range from a mild discoloration to a rusty, dirty looking area. The medical term for this is "acanthosis nigracans." This signs an increase in insulin and is common in both men and women. Lots of people come to dermatologist that I work for worried about this. It's harmful, though causes cosmetic concerns...it can decrease as insulin resistance decreases.

This may not be what you have, but google it and look at photos and see.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Mogrann

Mogrann

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you for responses. I am waiting for hubby to come home from work to take me to doctors.

I have not worn any shirts that could have caused it. I am confused about the insulin resitance comment though.... does that mean the insulin I do have my body is rejecting? Sorry for being so dumb.

I am googling it right now but computer is not behaving it keeps timing out on me grrrrrrrrr. bad computer

Susan

Mogrann

Mogrann

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Now to make myself look like a total fool.

I went to doctor's all for nothing. Apparantly it is the blood vessells under my arms that are appearing yellow. It is nothing to worry about. He did order blood tests to double check my liver.

Why do I do this to myself. I go to doctors for what seems like a legimitate concern and it turns out I did not need to go. Great way to waste our health care dollors.

Susan

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,795 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Hi Susan: Don't beat yourself up for being concerned about things going on in your body. Just after I was diagnosed, I thought any pain I felt, any twinge was related to diabetes...If my head hurt, i'd check my blood sugar. I think it's just part of adjusting to life with a chronic condition. You don't expect diabetes...then suddenly you have it..so you worry about what else might creep up on you without warning. Just hang in there. Things get easier as time passes...or at least you deal with it easier for the most part.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users