- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Donaldopato

Donaldopato

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I firmly believe the only stupid question is the one not asked.
I adore orange juice, but have not had any in ages, all seem so high in sugar.

Is there a sugar free or low sugar OJ?? or is such a beast impossible?

:confused: :confused:
DON
http://donaldopato.blogspot.com/
Always read stuff that will make you look good
If you die in the middle of it.

howdysf

howdysf

• 500 plus
  • 597 posts
OJ is the one thing I really really miss.. I used to drink a lot of it, now I almost never drink it... someday
Diagnosed T1 5/3/07
Check out my band Howdy!
www.outlawfolk.com

someone

someone

• 500 plus
  • 1,227 posts
Well, I drink quite a bit and just bolus for it. As far as sugar free goes, I have seen low sugar, but that is basically just diluted orange juice.
Type 1 diagnosed in 2003. Experience with MDI, Guardian RT, Dexcom Seven Plus, Animas 1250, Animas 2020. Currently using Minimed Paradigm 722 w/CGMS.
http://www.diatalk.org

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
I don't think they add sugar to orange juice. I used to make gfresh squeezed, all I did was squeeze all the juice from a few oranges and add a little water. I still cannot drink orange joice or eat an orange, without going high.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks

• 500 plus
  • 992 posts
yes they do make an orange juice that is lower in sugar than the normal and it tastes pretty good too.

Tropicana Light and Healthy OJ : Juicing Basics
Stacey

1st A1c 10/2006 8.9
2nd A1c 1/2007 5.5
3rd A1c 4/2007 5.3
4th A1c 7/2007 5.5
5th A1c 4/2008 5.1
Latest A1c 10/2010 5.2

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• 500 plus
  • 6,142 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Sugar (or more precisely, fructose) is naturally present in oranges and is an essential part of the juice. Therefore you can't really get 'sugar-free' orange juice. However, you can buy 'diet' orange juice but you will compromise on taste - the way these drinks work is it's simply diluted orange juice with artificial sweeteners added.

You don't need to buy special orange juice. Just buy and dilute your own, adding your own sweetener according to taste.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

volleyball

volleyball

• 500 plus
  • 2,040 posts
Orange juice and any juice is just not good for us who like the original poster are type 2. There is no low "sweetened" OJ. It just wouldn't be OJ if it was modified. Those of the other type need to keep it around if they don't bolus, whatever that is, correctly
Diabetes is a condition that you have to manage or it will manage you. The care team is only there in a supporting role

sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks

• 500 plus
  • 992 posts
actually I have tried the low calorie, less sugar orange juice and it doesnt taste bad at all. I actually use it in my creamsicle pie recipe as well.

I also cannot taste the difference in motts' lite apple juice either.
Stacey

1st A1c 10/2006 8.9
2nd A1c 1/2007 5.5
3rd A1c 4/2007 5.3
4th A1c 7/2007 5.5
5th A1c 4/2008 5.1
Latest A1c 10/2010 5.2

Tucker

Tucker

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
I really enjoy those who criticize a item and never tried it.
Life is not always so simple. ;)

douknowjello

douknowjello

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I know it isn't exactly orange juice but I shop walmart's storebrand version of Crystal light Orange Breakfast. The one I get is very inexpensive and called Orange Early Rise. I think it's pretty good and the plus side is it has no sugar at all. Their "great value" storebrand has an apple and cranberry drink as well but the orange is the best.

RobiJo

RobiJo

• 500 plus
  • 968 posts
There are light versions that are half the carbs for the same amount. Read the labels.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 Est.1984
MM 722 and CGMS; Novalog
Vitrectomies May 2007 & July 2007
Had a Baby Girl 7/2010! She is perfect!

Noturningback

Noturningback

• 500 plus
  • 218 posts
The light OJ made by Minute Maid and Tropicana aren't bad tasting altough admittedly not the same as regular orange juice. For me, not taking medication, it's still too much sugar. I'm stuck with Tang sugar free or Crystal Light Sunrise Orange and the likes.

~Danielle
"Never eat more than you can lift."
--Miss Piggy

A1C- 7/01/08= 6.5% :cool:

Low carbing since diagnosis. I'm down 22 pounds.

No Meds

Superjew78

Superjew78

• 500 plus
  • 105 posts
Orange juice is really the only thing i also miss.
Posted Image

A1C
9.3 on 08/07/08

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
I don't miss OJ at all. It always gave me a nasty case of heartburn! It tasted oh so good but my insides just couldn't handle it. Now what I do miss is Simply Apple apple juice. *sigh* That was a tasty juice!
Please bare with me... I am struggling over here.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
DebbieSue, try the Wal-mart brand s/f apple bottled water add-in (they have it in 2 qt packets as well, where Kool-Aid is sold)....its quite good, very much like "real" apple juice! I have it for b/fast often.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

shutterbug

shutterbug

• 500 plus
  • 778 posts
I found a "light" orange/tangerine juice in the groceries last week and got one. It is 4 carbs / serving (8oz). Although its not sugar free, its low carb and shouldn't spike your BS. My diabetic inlaws love it.
Posted Image

Diagnosed - 02/28/08

A1C - (8/10/2009= 5.7; 03/02/09 = 5.6 ; 12/29/08 = 5.8 ; 09/17/08 = 5.5 ; 05/27/08 = 5.7 ; 04/03/08 = 7.7 ; 02/29/08 = 10.1)

queenbee310

queenbee310

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have had the light orange juice too, i think it was made by Tropicana. I dont understand the concept of the light oj tho, is it watered down and then artificial sweetener is added.

rudini

rudini

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The no juice thing is the killer for me. I can't enjoy breakfast on weekends without some kind of juice. I might try low sugar cranberry, but I will miss my tropicana so much. :(

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,111 posts

The no juice thing is the killer for me. I can't enjoy breakfast on weekends without some kind of juice. I might try low sugar cranberry, but I will miss my tropicana so much. :(

I always offset my juice with a slow acting protein and/or fat.
-omelette & OJ == good
-toast & OJ == bad
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

kls1154

kls1154

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I had also tried the orange-tangerine juice but can't remember who made it or where I purchased it. V8 has a Diet Splash that comes in a citrus and berry and has 3 carbs, 2 sugars and is wonderfule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users