- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

sam123

sam123

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Does anyone take any supplementation for exercise such as Protein Shake, Creatine, etc...Currently, I am taking protein shake and thinking of taking Creatine but I heard that Creatine has some adverse effect on blood pressure?

Does anyone take Creatine?
Diagnosed December 2006 - A1C (10.6)
April 07 - A1C 5.4
July 07 - A1C 5.1
Nov 07 - A1C 5.2
April 08 - A1C 5.2

HiImDan

HiImDan

• 500 plus
  • 2,690 posts
The best supplement is eating healthy, trust me.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact."
- George Eliot (1819-1880)

Here's my pet, GodzillaPosted ImageTime to switch to decaf, eh?

Isaiah 32:5 The vile person shall be no more called liberal...

Better to remain silent and assumed a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
-Socrates

A wise man speaks cuz he has something to say, a fool speaks cuz he has to say something.
-Plato

Scratch

Scratch

• 500 plus
  • 2,088 posts
The danger, even for non-diabetics, is the extra stress that creatine will put on the kidneys. Try to eat healthy and keep your blood sugars in control. Think of weight training as something that should be accomplished over the long term.
MDI, Lantus and Novolog
A1c 2/12 -- 5.9%

duck

duck

• 500 plus
  • 6,671 posts
It won't hurt you. I took it for years.

Actually, it almost killed me. I was supposed to bench one day, but felt like a tough-guy so I squatted, unplanned. Felt pretty good. But, like most people will warn, I started to cramp up a bit, so stopped squatting and took a short break, drank lots of water, etc.

I had two bench-press goals at the time: Bench 315 and bench my bodyweight 35 times (some dude in the gym did that, and a lot of us were out to beat him). At the time, I weighed 185, and benching that (at the time) was typically "light" for me. So, after I felt better, I went over to the bench, warmed up. Then I put on 185...

Now, I didn't get a spot. It was "only" 185, what was the worst that could happen? I was training with 255 routinely at the time.

So I start cranking...5...10...15...not bad. But at around twenty, it started to get heavy. I had gotten up to 26 before, so that was my goal. At 22...

Right hammy cramps up so hard, it bent my leg back under me, like so hard my calf was touching my hammy. I dropped the bar on my chest.

My mind is racing. I can't get any noise out...I'm wondering if I can tip the bar and lose the weights? Right then, a big muscle head walks by, a guy I sorta know...He casually says "you alright?"

I barely squeaked out "no..."

He rushes over, yanks the bar off me and racks it...I try and sit up, but the cramp is KILLING me...I fall off the bench and try and massage it out. Dude is yelling at me, lecturing me about not using a spotter...

So, yeah. Creatine can hurt you.
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

thomasb

thomasb

• 500 plus
  • 212 posts
I too have used creatine several times, when i've been on a rough workout routine. It works very good for me and i have not had any problems with it. there's a lot of rumours floating around about creatine. Theres a lot of people who see it as close to stereoids, which is of course, stupid.

I use proteinshake, with no carbs, and an occasional gainer , with carbs, after workout. I did creatine a while ago and had no problems. Given, i\d only recommend taking it if you are working out alot. It is rather tough work as you take it alot in the beginning.

heres a good article:

Creatine: Side Effects, What It Is, What It Does - Men's Health
Type 1 since December, 2006.
Pump with novorapid, Animas 2020.
A1C 3/22/07: 5.2.
5/14/07: 4.7.
9/21/07: 5.2.
11/22/07: 5.2
4/11/08: 5.2
06-2009: 5.5

Bam5

Bam5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was taking creatine for about a year. I recently had my check up and lab work and it showed that my Creatinine(i think different from creatine) levels were up. I told my doctor I was taking Creatine supplements for weight training and she said "you have diabetes, why make your kidneys work harder that they have to?" I have not taken supplements(i was taking creatine, Gackic& leckekic(spelling is wrong im sure) for a month and going back to see new lab results.

markwoolf

markwoolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey man, i been lifting lately and do take a protien shake, and yes large amounts of creaine like that will mess with you BP snd other stuff, to be honest, you don't really need it to put on muscle, a hard workout and post protien shake should do the trick

neo

neo

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Does anyone take any supplementation for exercise such as Protein Shake, Creatine, etc...Currently, I am taking protein shake and thinking of taking Creatine but I heard that Creatine has some adverse effect on blood pressure?

Does anyone take Creatine?

i take advance creatine mixed with no explode before workout
and 50 grahams of whey protien after work.the thing with creatine,you have to have an insuline spike for complete uptake.i usually inject 2 units of apidra when i consume it.
excellention results,i sip on powerade during workout to avoid low bg:cool: neo
THE MATRIX HAS YOU

pumper

pumper

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
I've used creatine for years

It has no effect on blood pressure
There is NO evidence that it is hard on the kidneys.

For me, it really works.

Hope that this helps

goolam Hossen

goolam Hossen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
i am new to this forum. i am a type2 am hope 2 benefit from u all, thanks

surfdude10

surfdude10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am a type II diabetic and have been working out for years(i am 62). Recently my doctor told me to stop taking protein supplements because it could cause kidney problems. I don't take creatine, but had been using Animal M-Stack pre workout, Intervol during workouts and a protein shake post workout. The results have been great, big gains in size and strength so I would hate to stop, but my kidneys are more important. Just wondering if anybody else has a take on this?

rverlohr

rverlohr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My DR recommended I stop. I'd like to start taking it again

archie

archie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have neen taking it for 2us days and i take an insulin injection at night(8 units)..i have to lower the amount if insulin i take because i have bottomed out both days i used creatine.Not sure why my Dr didnt mention this to me.I think it works......will keep u posted as i use it more

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
I had similar experience only it was in bed with my wife, yea not a good time to get a muscle cramp of that magnitude.

It won't hurt you. I took it for years.

Actually, it almost killed me. I was supposed to bench one day, but felt like a tough-guy so I squatted, unplanned. Felt pretty good. But, like most people will warn, I started to cramp up a bit, so stopped squatting and took a short break, drank lots of water, etc.

I had two bench-press goals at the time: Bench 315 and bench my bodyweight 35 times (some dude in the gym did that, and a lot of us were out to beat him). At the time, I weighed 185, and benching that (at the time) was typically "light" for me. So, after I felt better, I went over to the bench, warmed up. Then I put on 185...

Now, I didn't get a spot. It was "only" 185, what was the worst that could happen? I was training with 255 routinely at the time.

So I start cranking...5...10...15...not bad. But at around twenty, it started to get heavy. I had gotten up to 26 before, so that was my goal. At 22...

Right hammy cramps up so hard, it bent my leg back under me, like so hard my calf was touching my hammy. I dropped the bar on my chest.

My mind is racing. I can't get any noise out...I'm wondering if I can tip the bar and lose the weights? Right then, a big muscle head walks by, a guy I sorta know...He casually says "you alright?"

I barely squeaked out "no..."

He rushes over, yanks the bar off me and racks it...I try and sit up, but the cramp is KILLING me...I fall off the bench and try and massage it out. Dude is yelling at me, lecturing me about not using a spotter...

So, yeah. Creatine can hurt you.

---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

kingd

kingd

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
I tried Creatine a few times in the past,Starts out great but 2-3 weeks into it things start to go haywire for me so I avoid it now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users