Photo

How long after expire do you use insulin?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Jan2306

Jan2306

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
How long after the expire date do you think insulin - Lantus in particular - is still effective?

I'm going on vacation and need to bring back up insulin in case my pump fails. I have lots of leftover Lantus with an expire date of 4/07. It's been refrigerated the whole time. What do you think? Safe to use if needed?

How long after expire do you use insulin?
Dx Jan 2006
Last A1c 5.5 Aug 2007 (2nd on pump)
First A1c 16.3 Jan 2006
Started pump 1/30/07

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• Seniors
  • 7,930 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1

How long after the expire date do you think insulin - Lantus in particular - is still effective?

Try it and see if the lantus will work but if not then distroy it and get a fresh lot.

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

Jill-O

Jill-O

• Seniors
  • 1,656 posts
I'm a chicken. I wouldn't use it past the expire date.

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

Scratch

Scratch

• Seniors
  • 2,088 posts
It is probably safe to use.

I'd also say that to be safe and for complete ease of mind, get an RX from the doctor and get a fresh vial.
MDI, Lantus and Novolog
A1c 2/12 -- 5.9%

lgvincent

lgvincent

• Seniors
  • 4,978 posts
I've used Humalog 6 months after and NPH 9 months after the expiration date and it still worked but I've not tried it with Lantus yet. Sorry I can be of no help.
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

QDHHQ

QDHHQ

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
it's seems ok but if should be careful,take one BS tester to test when you use expire products

RobiJo

RobiJo

• Seniors
  • 968 posts
It should be fine, if anything it will not work as well (as opposed to not at all) If you are vacationing in your state--you should carry a Rx from your doc. If you are leaving the state, you may want to get a new vial. I've never had a problem with expired stuff, but it rarely gets to that point as I use it so fast.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 Est.1984
MM 722 and CGMS; Novalog
Vitrectomies May 2007 & July 2007
Had a Baby Girl 7/2010! She is perfect!

mwalt2

mwalt2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
My first endo was a MD/PhD and he talked to me a bit about his research lab work because I was currently working my way towards a PhD in microbiology. He said that they use expired insulin in his lab well past the expiration date and that it retains it's activity (as long as it is stored properly). Of course the lab is not real life, and the safest thing to do would be to get a new vial. Your doctor may even have a sample vial he could give you.

iDream

iDream

• Members
  • 338 posts
Its good near forever as long as its unopened (exaggerating a touch)

A1C Pre-Pump: 6.1

Posted Image

A1C Post-Pump: 5.4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users