Photo

Best time to take Metformin before or after?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Bettebee

Bettebee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
First, When should we take metformin before a meal or after a meal? I always have understood to take them with food???
I am on 1500 mg Metformin. I take one 500 pill in the morning after I eat one after lunch and one after Dinner/or later in the evening if I forget at dinner.
I really think I need to go on 2000 mg per day. I have high readings, like 127-150 in the mornings.
The readings all vary because of what I eat at dinner or before bedtime.
I fix a good dinner and eat a little of everything. Even if it is white potato, bread, desert or etc. I almost know that is what puts my readings up in the mornings. Sometimes I eat too much potato. I am always hungry and love to eat. I only weigh 106 lbs. I wonder if that might allow me to have higher reading??...smile!
God Bless!
Betty in Florida

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
Hi Betty, I have always taken the Metformin with a meal, only because I have some serious BM problems if I don't. Even now after plenty of time to get used to them, I wouldn't take one any other way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,987 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Hi Betty: If you're having higher morning readings, try taking your dinner metformin just before bedtime and see if that helps. As long as your stomach isn't empty, you should be okay. If you double up on your evening dose, you may notice some gastric symptoms.

Also, do you notice a better blood sugar when you avoid potatoes and bread? For me, metformin or not, I can't do potatoes and bread. The times I do decide to have some bread, I have it for lunch and exercise afterwards to help combat the blood sugar rise.

Dinner for me is the smallest meal of my day, as i'm least active then. I try to make it the least carbs of the day as well. I have the bulk of my carbs for lunch when i'm up and about.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

shockme

shockme

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,316 posts
some find it helps w/the bowel issues better if it's taken right after eating. some,withe the meal.....have you considered byetta,symlin or insulin -to help you get better control? take care,trish
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]jan.a1c-9.2...may a1c-6.1...aug.a1c-5.8 jan.a1c 6.0Posted Image

beau91

beau91

• 500 plus
  • 556 posts
As for me .I always take my metformin just before I eat or during the meals easier to digest .By Ricky
Hi my name is Richard for short Ricky .I'm from Montreal Canada .Diabetic since 1993.

A diplomat is a man who always remembers a women birthday but never remembrs her age . Robert Frost[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bettebee

Bettebee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks to all of you. I feel better to know that I am taking my metformin with meals and it is OK...smile!
You guys are a big help and encouragement to me. I do not get a chance to be on here much, but when I do you are always there to help.
God Bless!
Betty in Florida

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
I'm a pumper, also taking Metformin. I take my morning dose when I leave for work in the morning (7:15) and eat toast for breakfast at about 8am. I take my evening dose about 10-15 minutes before dinner.

Betty.........test your blood sugar about an hour before bed. If you're below, say 120, have a small protein snack and see what you test at in the morning. You could be experiencing DP and your blood sugar is dropping during the night and then rising just before you get up.

Karen

cruiser_ss396

cruiser_ss396

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
I am on 2 750's per day. I personally find taking them with milk works very well for me. I like Oat meal so that is what I have for my moring meal ( I work nights and get off at 1:00AM) that is more like a brunch :D

I try very hard to stay away from bread but it very hard for me to do. I love good breads like sour dough. I try to eat whole wheat when it's availble in my local stores and a good brand. I eat red pataoes and they don't seem to bring me up as much and they are availble in small sizes. Put them on your BBQ and grill until the skin is crispy, cut them open and a single spray of spray butter and Old Bay seasoning makes a wonderful treat out one or two small.

My readings in the morings are about 120-130.

I am not trying to pass along any advice, just my experiance and what I have been eating.

Joe
1967 Camaro owner and Type II

Bettebee

Bettebee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Cruiser,
How long have you had those readings...120-130 in the mornings? Mine just won't go away. Maybe I need more metformin? I am on 1500mg per day.
Also, how many times a day do you check your BS?
I love bread too, but I only eat whole wheat or Health Nut Bread. I eat maybe 1 to 1 1/2 slice a day. Every now and then I eat a small potato and love it.
I buy mostly (when I can find it) sugar free foods. But still they tend to put my BS count up some.
Sometimes I worry about the other diabetes...the one of the stomach. I am on Nexium and Synthroid. I take it before breakfast and wait for 30 minutes for each one. Then once a week I take Fosamax.(wait an hour before eating) I do think too much medicine can cause a rise in my BS. Then every morning I take several vitamins.
It makes me sick just looking at those pills (all pills) before I take them. Not really, but I just hate taking pills....smile!
Thanks for these Forum Board members.
God Bless!
Betty in Florida

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts

I buy mostly (when I can find it) sugar free foods. But still they tend to put my BS count up some.

Betty.............save your money! Most of the sugar-free products on the market contain artificial sweeteners and still have a high carbohydrate count.

Karen

cruiser_ss396

cruiser_ss396

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Cruiser,
How long have you had those readings...120-130 in the mornings?

Betty;
I have had those reading for a while but as of late my reading are up. I have noticed that my gums are not as healthy as they should be so off to the dentist, that might be my higher readings issues right now.

I check my B/G anywhere from 2 times per day up to 10 when I am not feeling well.

When I get high readings like last night at work I had a 190 I left my office and went for a brisk walk for 15-20 minutes. After sitting back down I tested and I was down to 120 but shakey and thirsty. I drank to 16 oz bottles of water and had 2 small country style pork ribs about for my lunch that night. After eating I was back up to 180 (BBQ seasonings I think did it) but with in 30 min I was at 160. I was 153 in the morning today.

I have read that other meds can have an effect on the effectivness of metformin but I don't know how widespread this might be. Also other health issues and fighting infection like my gums right now I hear can raise you B/G. I am in a learing stage. I have had this for about 3 1/2 years now and have been dealing with it on my own and DR visits. Coming here is my quest for more help and to do better.

Joe

Bettebee

Bettebee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Joe,
It sounds like you are really having problems keeping your BS down. When my BS is up I do not know it till I check it. But, if I do not eat for a while and maybe do some shopping, I can feel my sugar is down. I get real shakey. When it gets down that low I worry that it is harming some organs????
Buy, maybe it does more harm when it is high. I just wonder.
When I first found out I had Diabetes (one year ago), My BS count was over 700 I was in the hospital for 11 days. You would think then that being that high it would harm organs. But it did not. So I do think the harm comes when it gets so low. Maybe, I just wonder about it.
Joe, take care and work to keep your sugar count down some. It sounds too high to me. What does your doctor say? How much Metformin are you on?
God Bless!
Betty in Florida

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,987 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Betty, i've read that damage can occur when blood sugar stays above 140 for very long, hence the goal of 140 or less 2 hrs after a meal.

When your blood sugar has stayed high for awhile, often when it goes to a normal level, you can feel like you're low. I know when first diagnosed, my fasting was 218 and I felt fine. When it went to 90-100, I felt shaky and "odd" because my body wasn't used to more normal readings. Now, the few times i've been near 160, I feel tired and sleepy, as my body is used to more normal numbers.

I'm sure damage can occur if you go very low, but as a type 2 only on metformin (which doesn't generally cause lows) I think i'm more likely to have damage from the high blood sugars.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

cruiser_ss396

cruiser_ss396

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Yep been having issues as of late. My A1C's have been in the low 6's but as I have changed my work schedual it has been up. Working with the DR, he is thinking of increasing my amount. We are also thinking Byetta to see what happens.

I was doing great loosing wieght and after going to a night shift I gained nine pounds!! Those nine pounds I think have made a huge difference in my readings.

My main thing I think is getting my diet back under control and eating better and more small meals through out the day. Small meals are just hard to do now. I am thinking I might pre-peppar some meals to make it easy on myself.

Joe

musicmamma

musicmamma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
"But, if I do not eat for a while and maybe do some shopping, I can feel my sugar is down. I get real shakey."

Betty,
I always carry glucose tabs with me for when I get low.

muddy

muddy

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I want to thank you all for posting. It is very informative to me a newly diagnosed diabetic. I wondered why I felt sick and shaky with a blood sugar of 80. I had probably been over 300 for a long time.
Does anyone know if having the Bells Palsy I am still getting over causes your blood glucose readings to go up? I wonder if that is why mine was so high when I was first diagnosed.
I guess my body is still adjusting to a more normal reading.

Bettebee

Bettebee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Gosh! I always was under the impression that the lower the BS the better. I did not realize that the lows could do any damage. The high's is what has been worrying me. I pretty much stay under 150 when I do not exercise. I am thrilled when I check my BS and it is 90-100 or under.

minikhanh

minikhanh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
How can you have A1C test at home, Princesslinda ?

holler1

holler1

• 500 plus
  • 237 posts

Gosh! I always was under the impression that the lower the BS the better. I did not realize that the lows could do any damage. The high's is what has been worrying me. I pretty much stay under 150 when I do not exercise. I am thrilled when I check my BS and it is 90-100 or under.

I think Princesslinda meant that very low levels like 50 or below may be dangerous, not "low normal" ranges like 70. Also that you are unlikely to get a real "hypo" or low if the only medicine you're taking is metformin. I've had lower numbers after exercise a few times lately around 60, and felt fine. It might be worth checking closely if you take metformin and do strenuous exercise on an empty stomach. If you're used to numbers near 200, a 70 or 80 may feel like a low. I think you are right to be more concerned with the highs, as those are the numbers that may cause complications.
Age 69,male,BMI~22, current FBG 110-120, FBG~120-130 since 2002,1/2009 A1c 6.7,1/2010 A1c 7.2, started lower carb diet, 10/15/2010 A1c 5.8 (lab),1/29/2011 A1c 5.9 (home), , A1c creeping up to 6.2 11/2011, tried met late 2011-digestive issues, omeprazole 20mg for GERD, tamsulosin (alpha blocker), exercise 5+hrs/wk, vit D, super B complex.
-----------------------------
Science: it's what works.

sdsteph

sdsteph

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
On the whole low blood sugar is dangerous thing...

My husband is a Type 1 diabetic. He sometimes has really bad lows (I've had to give him the glucagon shot on different occasions), but when I posed the question to his doctor of whether he could have any real biological damage after these bad lows that leave him unconscious, the doctor said no. The doctor did say that the danger in going low is that he could hurt himself or others - stuff like driving and losing consciousness or stumbling/falling and hurting himself. There are also dangers if somebody is low for days... but it isn't something that is going to happen if one is low for an hour or two.

Now, I am not a medical professional. You can probably ask your doctor and get the same answer as my husband's doctor, though. Those are big real dangers, but I hope that knowing that you aren't going to have long term biological complications from going below 70 mg/dl if it is remedied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users