No sugar added grape juice.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Schlep

Schlep

• Members
  • 383 posts
Is this okay to drink on occasion as the only sugars are coming from fruit?

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,118 posts
Test and find out ;)

IMO all fruits are good for you. Drink with more complex carbs, proteins, and fats and you shouldn't see much of a spike.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,251 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I saw one at the store Schlep. I checked the carbs and it was 37 carbs per 8 oz. I checked the Lite (both were Ocean Spray) and the Lite was only 10 carbs. Check the label and then fit it into your meal plan.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• Seniors
  • 1,465 posts
When I see "no sugar added" on a product like grape juice, it ticks me off a bit because---who the heck would ever add sugar to real grape juice?!!! They are proclaiming no sugar added as though that is unique, but it is not.

Grape juice is as sweet as can be without adding sugar to it. Nobody adds sugar to grape juice. In fact, many people add water to dilute natural grape juice because nature makes it so darn sweet to start with.

Grape juice is off of my list of things to enjoy, unless I have only one small sip of it from someone else's cup.

volleyball

volleyball

• Seniors
  • 2,040 posts

Is this okay to drink on occasion as the only sugars are coming from fruit?

The answer is no. Grape and apple juices are high in sugar, then they concentrate them. Might as well drink high fructose corn syrup.
They love to put juice and all natural on products so people will think they are healthy.
Juice for the most part, bad for us. The fiber that slows absorption has been remove allowing a spike. A few ounces of 100% cranberry or blueberry juice might be ok after eating something but I'd test.
Also I've never liked V8 juice but I bet that would spike many
Diabetes is a condition that you have to manage or it will manage you. The care team is only there in a supporting role

Catcount

Catcount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Check the Carbs for a serving portion and see if it fits in with your eating plan. I occassionally drink so called Suger Free orange" but it spikes me something orrible. So if I want an Orange juice something else has to give.

Catcount

Peter Lee

Peter Lee

• Seniors
  • 757 posts
This is yet another example of how we are all different. I don't get spikes from pure fruit juices (including orange and grape) unless I drink more than 1/2 a pint. But then I only drink juices when I am being, or have been, active.

I'm with the camp that says try it and test and then fit your comsumption of juices into your eating plan. If you drink juice at the same time as eating a low glycemic index food then you will naturally minimise any spike you have.
Peter
63,Type 2, Diagnosed Dec 04

Medication - Metformin 850mg x 3; Pioglitazone (Actos) 30mg x 1; Gliclazide 160mg x 2; plus stuff for hypertension & cholesterol with Aspirin E/C for the cardio/vascular system

Posted Image

:) I have to keep smiling - there's no other choice - but I do growl occasionally :whistling

cruiser_ss396

cruiser_ss396

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Test and find out ;)

IMO all fruits are good for you. Drink with more complex carbs, proteins, and fats and you shouldn't see much of a spike.

Where do I or we get more information complex carbs, proteins and fats? I have no idea what to look for (fats are simple since it's in the news pounded into us daily) in relation to complex carbs and proteins, where they come from and how they affect us?

I would love to do some reading and be able to try and find out more.

Thanks
Joe
1967 Camaro owner and Type II

Peter Lee

Peter Lee

• Seniors
  • 757 posts

Where do I or we get more information complex carbs, proteins and fats? I have no idea what to look for (fats are simple since it's in the news pounded into us daily) in relation to complex carbs and proteins, where they come from and how they affect us?

I would love to do some reading and be able to try and find out more.

Thanks
Joe

Google Glycemic Index and/or search Amazon books for Glycemic Index and you will get more information than you can read in a lifetime.
Peter
63,Type 2, Diagnosed Dec 04

Medication - Metformin 850mg x 3; Pioglitazone (Actos) 30mg x 1; Gliclazide 160mg x 2; plus stuff for hypertension & cholesterol with Aspirin E/C for the cardio/vascular system

Posted Image

:) I have to keep smiling - there's no other choice - but I do growl occasionally :whistling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users