- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Fiona

Fiona

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
Help! Last night I forgot to take my insulin shot with my dinner. I didn't realise until I went to bed and I tested my blood sugar level before taking the long acting insulin and my test was 14.2. This morning everything was normal. I have only been type 1 for 1 month, I was having dinner with friends and having a great time etc and just didn't even think about it. I feel so stupid, who forgets to give themself insulin?? this is my life now, how could I be so irresponsible. I was too frightened to give the shot hours after dinner so just gave the long acting. What are you supposed to do when this happens?
Fiona

am1977

am1977

• 500 plus
  • 4,534 posts
This happens to all of us probably at least once. You are lucky in that you are probably still in your honeymoon period...meaning you still produce some insulin on your own. That's probqably why you woke up with a normal reading. Also the long acting insulin probably helped to prevent you from goin too high. What I would have done is tested after dinner and then corrected the high. Then I would wait two hours and see where my blood sugar is, it it is an acceptabel number, I would then go to bed. You don't want your blood sugar to stay too high over an extended periiod of time, it's best to try and lower the blood sugar as soon as you can.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, it happens. Sometimes there's just too much going on and we get occupied with other things or just forget. We are all humans and make mistakes, we learn from these things. I'm glad that things we're better this morning for you and hope the rest of the day continued on to be good for you as well.

Take care.

MarkMunday

MarkMunday

Banned

• Banned
  • 617 posts
Hello Fiona,

Forgetting an injection happens to all of us. Injecting before meals has become such an automatic reaction, I often find that I can't remember whether I have injected or not!

It sounds like you don't have to worry too much about missing injections at this stage. As the honeymoon stage fades, you will find that missing an injection causes blood sugar to rise very high and stay there. So you will have to start correcting high blood sugars by injecting small amounts of insulin.

Cheers,

Mark

dpav

dpav

• 500 plus
  • 252 posts
Hi Fiona
I just wanted to let you know as has been already said, we can all sometimes forget to take a shot. I sometimes forget to bolus after eating. I am glad I am on the pump now, it has helped me out a great deal and is a good memory on its own.
You have recovered very well, don't tear yourself up over forgetting and especially not since you remembered it in a short period of time. Simply remember that you did remember, even if it was just a little late.
Don

Lorna

Lorna

• 500 plus
  • 788 posts
Yea, I agree that we all forget sometimes. When it happens to me I usually take sufficient fast acting insulin to bring the high down as soon as I notice. A word of warning though- if you had continued to run high over night you would probably have woken up feeling ill from it. The same applies if you take too much insulin and have a bad hypo over night. It will become easier as you get to know your body though.

Belinda

Belinda

• 500 plus
  • 2,360 posts
I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten to take an injection or simply couldn't remember if I did. Since you are in the lovely "honeymoon stage then all went well. As suggested, next time I would take the fast acting as soon as I realized it or checked by bs. The fast acting will peak well before the long acting. Don't worry you will probably forget again someday.

sfhellwig

sfhellwig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
As you can see from all of the other replies, there's probably not a diabetic out there that hasn't missed a shot at some point. I haven't forgotten one in so long but as many others have hit a point where I don't remember taking it even though I did. If you carry a med pouch like me you can leave yourself little reminders. I have several pouches to carry syringes and several bands to hold vials. You can alternate from pouch to pouch or band to band so you know if the injection has been taken. Don't remember, look and see if things are in the pre or post position. Go to take a shot and their not in the right place, you know to compensate. Although I reuse my syringes a few times if you use a new one every time try snapping off the end of the plunger you push down. Thats a sure sign that your between shots. Otherwise it will get easier as you go and once your honeymoon is over, you will DEFINITELY know within an hour of missing a shot.

HeatherP

HeatherP

• 500 plus
  • 2,872 posts
I've done the same thing - no big deal. I actually inject after meals quite frequently, and in the beginning had to make a real effort to not forget. To help me remember, I'll leave the vial and syringe on the table beside my plate, although that may not always be an option w/ guests.
Posted Image

To err is human, to purr feline >^.^<

T1 since 1991, Cozmo Pump 11/05

lgvincent

lgvincent

• 500 plus
  • 4,978 posts
I've forgotten to take my insulin on occasion and a few times I've taken an injection, forgotten about it, and taken another one. One thing that has helped me a lot with this problem is my glucose meter. Whenever I take an injection, I immediately put that into my meter so I know it's done. If I check my meter and there is no entry, I know I've missed it. Since I started doing this, I can only recall one time when I've forgotten to take an injection.
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

Tori_jane

Tori_jane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi There,

I'm new to this site although have been living with diabetes for 10 years.

I wanted to re-activate this thread as I found it during a google and hope it can re-assure others that forgetting insulin happens to us all at times.

My son was diagnosed at 9 months with diabetes mellitus type 1 he is now 11. If you feel guilty about forgetting your insulin as an adult- can you times that by 100 and think how you would feel if you forgot to give the most precious gift their life saving medication. It eats me up and i always promise it will never happen again! especially as I'm in the medical proffesion- surely I should no better, how could i risk my own childs life, how could I as a mum forget something routine? what if he had died? what if he went into DKA?

We are all human, non of us perfect, we will forget from time to time and correct it accordingly. Please don't ever beat yourself up as diabetes shouldn't ever control your life and forgetting insulin occasionally makes you realise that you have dealt with diabetes and it doesn't control your life- you do.

Sending much love to anyone who reads this after worrying about forgetting a shot- as trust me you are probably beating yourself up for a human error we all have made at some point.

Always

Tori xx

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,757 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1
This will happen to all of us, We're not perfect now are we???
I have been a Diabetic for the last 41 Years!!! and I still trip up forgetting a shot of insulinas we monitor the BG's though testing.
With all the time I see a high figure, Then I will correct it with a bolus and have another follow up test. Also remember that the time you have taken that bolus as 2 hours will be at it's maximum and have a test then. If low, Of course eat some carbs.

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

eric21

eric21

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
HI I'm lucky I never forgot to take my bolus or basal insulin....

By any chance anyone forgot to take basal?
I'm curious...if yes,,, did you manage to wake up not too bad?
how were your blood glucose at wake up?

:)

PepsiLvr

PepsiLvr

• 500 plus
  • 470 posts
Don't sweat it. I've forgotten to take mine dozens of times over the 7+ years since I've been diagnosed. Don't get me wrong, having high sugar levels is not good, but one day / night won't hurt (as long as it's not crazy high). What others have said is true, the long acting insulin probably kept you from going too high. The fact that you woke up with good numbers can mean a couple things. One being the "honeymoon" period where you body still produces "some" insulin. The other being the amount of carbs you ate for the dinner your forgot to bolus for. And the last being that your dosage of long acting insulin might be a little high. Keep checking your sugars and hang in there. I personally think having low blood sugar is much more dangerous than the occasional high. You've only been a member of the "club" for 1 month. It will take a while to get things adjusted properly. It's great to see that you're taking responsibility and realize that this is something important.
The answer to 1984 is 1776

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users