Non-diabetics blood sugars??

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

LauRa Lu

LauRa Lu

• 500 plus
  • 1,217 posts
Hi, I was just wonder if anyones knows how high a NoN-diabetic persons bg can go or 'should' go after eating regular meals?

I did a test on my mum a few weeks back after we both ate the same meal of brown rice, chicken vegtables and a stir fry sauce (one not too high in sugar), We did it just to see what a normal person's reading would be, I was expecting it to be around 7 or 8 maybe even less than that. But it was 9.5 mmol/L (192 mg/dl). I didn't think a non-diabetic would ever go that high. It's confused me a little, because surely if she's not diabetic but having sugars like that after eating a meal it can't be to good for her health. My mum is 40 something (45 i think) and has no symtoms of diabetes... is it normal??

x :) Lor

:hahaha: :bebored::sheep:
----------------------------

The pages I've turned are the lessons I've learned - The rest is still unwritten..

rzrbks

rzrbks

• 500 plus
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5
That is indeed higher than a Non sould be after eating, but my question would be how many carbs did she take in?

I would imagine that if a NON took in a HUge amount of carbs then that would blow their B/G reading higher than normal. Much the same as if they had suddenly done much more exercise than normal would fatigue them to a non-normal level.
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,152 posts
Lor,
Without looking it up I believe a Random Plasma Glucose Test above 140mg/dl or 7.8mmol/L during a regular check up. Would be cause for a doctor to ask for a Fasting Plasme Glucose Test and Glucose Tolerence Test. Failing the FPGT or GTT on a differnt day would be grounds for diagnosing diabetes. Failing any two of the three test on different days fills the criteria for diabetes. So in short get your MUM to a DOC. Remember she may not have symptoms yet, but symptoms are another form of complications. Get it early before she does show symptoms.

MarkMunday

MarkMunday

Banned

• Banned
  • 617 posts
LauRa Lu,

Try doing a fasting bg test. If the reading is higher than 6.5, it would probably be a good idea for your Mom to visit her doctor and have a Glucose Tolerance test done.

Mark

LauRa Lu

LauRa Lu

• 500 plus
  • 1,217 posts
Thanks for all the advice. I'll speak to her about it and try to do a fasting test soon. I hope it's not diabetes... but I supose at least it would be caught early if it is, not like when i was diagnosed.

Thankyou :)

The pages I've turned are the lessons I've learned - The rest is still unwritten..

Lorna

Lorna

• 500 plus
  • 788 posts
Also before you get upset about it did you remember all the basic things like making sure her hands were entirely clean beofre the test?

Im not sure if I am right on this one or not, but don't non diabetics sugars rise when they are fighting a trivial virus as well? (As I said might be wrong)

I agree with Harold and Mark that you should do a fasting test.

Hope everything is OK

Lorna

LauRa Lu

LauRa Lu

• 500 plus
  • 1,217 posts
yeh, we did make sure her hands were clean before we did it, I know what a difference that can make.... I once forgot and did a test which read 17.0 Washed my hands did it again and it was actually 2.3 mmol/L :) that was the last time I forget to wash my hands ;)

dpav

dpav

• 500 plus
  • 252 posts
Hello
I did a test on my wife after she ate her extra special chocolate deserts. This actually made me a little upset. She was at 87mg/dsl. (sorry I do not know the conversion) I thought that she would have a higher reading due to hearing from a doctor that normals can have a high reading after eating unusual amounts of Carbs and or sugars. I guess I am just a bit jealous of her pancreas.
I hope this is useful somehow.
Don

KLD

KLD

Banned

• Banned
  • 495 posts
The package insert that comoes with the strips for my One Touch Ultra meter gives the following range of blood glucose levels for non-diabetic people:

Before breakfast: 3.9 - 5.8 (70 - 105)
Before lunch or dinner: 3.9 - 6.1 (70 - 110)
1 hour after meals: less than 8.9 (160)
2 hours after meals: less than 6.7 (120)
Between 2 and 4 a.m. greater than 3.9 (70)

Karen

LauRa Lu

LauRa Lu

• 500 plus
  • 1,217 posts

Originally posted by KLD
The package insert that comoes with the strips for my One Touch Ultra meter gives the following range of blood glucose levels for non-diabetic people:

Before breakfast: 3.9 - 5.8 (70 - 105)
Before lunch or dinner: 3.9 - 6.1 (70 - 110)
1 hour after meals: less than 8.9 (160)
2 hours after meals: less than 6.7 (120)
Between 2 and 4 a.m. greater than 3.9 (70)

Karen

That will be useful, thankyou for that :)

Lor x :)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users