- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

harley

harley

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i just resently got diagnosed with diabetes about a month ago and my first doctors apointment is coming up soon. But i dont know what to eat and what not to eat and when not to eat it. When im feeling dizzy headed my body craves something sweet and i usally drink a coca-cola and the feeling goes away. Right now im feeling the same wayand my blood sugar is 280 and i want to eat a chocolate candy bar, should i not do that? will it make it go higher? if someone could please help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Evermont

Evermont

• Seniors
  • 3,373 posts

Posted Image

Hey there. Relax and have a nice fresh apple harley. 280 is a bit high but don't panic. Just get busy reading up on what to eat, it won't be long before you make peace with the whole food thing.

Lots of great folks here with good answers for you. You found the right place!

harley

harley

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
What if I don't have any apples handy? Would eating part of the Herseys Choclate bar make my blood sugar alot higher? Thanks in advance!

EasyType2

EasyType2

• Seniors
  • 543 posts
Welcome, harley.

Until you see the doc, don't get in a panic about what to eat, but do TRY to avoid food high in sugar and carbs. If you need a cola, choose a diet style.

If you want a snack, try celery, raw carrots, fresh fruit, or simply a few dry crackers.

But don't panic.
I was born with nothing and I've still got most of it.

ozbuc

ozbuc

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
Welcome to the group Harley, So far youve been given some good advice but keep on reading this forum and other resources as well, knowledge is power. Another resource is mendosa.com.
What if the Hokey Pokey was really all it was about?
8/18 A1C 11.4
11/8 A1C 7.7
metformin 2x1000 daily

Dan Gato

Dan Gato

• Members
  • 458 posts
Harley,
Welcome to the Forums :shakehand

Avoid that chocolate for now
280 is way too high, keep your glucose under 140 at all times

get a glucose meter & start checking daily.

Avoid too many carbs, avoid some fruits, avoid that regular cola, drink diets or water.
keep reading here at the forums.
Latest A1C
Aprl '10...5.8
Feb '09 ..5.4
Aug '08...5.2
Feb '08...5.5
Dec '07...5.2

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,125 posts
Welcome Harley,

You need to make a lifestyle change for the better. Start walking 1/2 an hour each day and start eating better. By better I mean cut way back on the sweets and pops and start eating whole fruits, veggies, and higher fibre breads, cereals, & pasta.

If you don't have an apple, go buy some. Throw some salad stuff in the cart too. Chocolate is not the worst food for making sugars go up as it has lots of fat to slow it down, but you don't need it. Listen to them when they say keep the sugars below 140. Bad things will eventually happen if you don't. There's no bargaining with the devil on that one.

Go slow, but go. Please keep coming here and learning too.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

mho357

mho357

• Seniors
  • 705 posts
Hello Harley and welcome to the forum. As many others have already stated, try to avoid the sweets and colas for now. 280 is high and you need to get that under control.

This is a very good book that is easy to read and understand:

Amazon.com: The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed (First Year, The): Books: Gretchen Becker,Allison B. Goldfine

Take care,

Mark
Dx May 2007

A1C @ Dx = 7.0
9/15/07 = 5.1 (Biosafe home test kit)
10/9/07 = 5.4
1/18/08 = 5.4
6/11/08 = 5.3
11/4/08 = 5.6

Fortamet 500 mg

shockme

shockme

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,316 posts
hi harley and welcome to df! try to avoid the "white" foods-pasta,bread,rice,sugar and potatoes. these foods tend to elevate your bg [blood glucose]. everyone is different-you may be able to eat a serving of rice and it won't raise your bg. but for now-best to avoid these til your bg comes down. exercise can lower your bg. just a good walk will help. drink lots of water to flush the excess glucose out of your body. meatys and seafoods are low/no carb. eggs are low carb. cheeses are low carb. most veggies are low carb,too. it's not just the sugar-it's carbs in general that are the enemy! maybe you can see a CDE [certified diabetes educator] and an dietitian.....take care,trish
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]jan.a1c-9.2...may a1c-6.1...aug.a1c-5.8 jan.a1c 6.0Posted Image

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,181 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Hi Harley, welcome to the forum! You've been given great advice already. That diagnosis of diabetes is a scary one, and it takes a little while to learn what to eat and what to avoid.

With your blood sugars elevated as they are, you're not going to feel "normal" until you get them under better control, THEN, you'll be amazed at how much better you feel.

As the others mentioned, watching your carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta, breads) will go a long way in helping stabilize your blood sugar. I'd encourage you to avoid the candy bar, if you need something sweet, have some sugar free jello or sugar free pudding or a sugar-free popsicle....as your blood sugars normalize, you'll be able to have the occasional "treat," but right now your goal is to get them down to an acceptable level so you'll be at less risk for complications.

The Gretchen Becker book mentioned above is VERY informative and easy to read....you should definitely get it.

Read and learn all you can about this new chapter in your life...its not going to go away, but you can learn to live with it and have a healthy and happy life.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

kgm0612

kgm0612

• Seniors
  • 7,672 posts
Welcome Harley!

Great advice was given from the other posters before me, so I won't add my two cents worth!

Karen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users