- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

shockme

shockme

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,316 posts
[url=http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/results.php?storyarticle=5333]An A1c of 15% Does Not Necessarily Mean Poor Diabetes Control[/url]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]jan.a1c-9.2...may a1c-6.1...aug.a1c-5.8 jan.a1c 6.0Posted Image

volleyball

volleyball

• Seniors
  • 2,040 posts
Just goes to show that diabetes is an individual thing.
Diabetes is a condition that you have to manage or it will manage you. The care team is only there in a supporting role

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,783 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
That's been brought up alot recently which is another reason they are pushing for someone to make an easier way to show the ups and downs of a BG. An A1C ONLY shows an average and has TONS of variables in it that can make the test as useful as police officers without guns (sorry Brits.)

Currently the only way to show BG variability is via CGMS, which at tihs time for it alone is too pricey, so the A1C has to be the main test. This also brings up the point of why a nationwide campaign to push A1C testing once a year on everyone should be done. If the test can be innacurate and fooled, why have it as a standard test.

I'd also love to know how many people are diagnosed based on an A1C and it not being some other medical condition left untreated.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• Seniors
  • 6,763 posts
According to no standards is a1c an acceptable diagnostic tool. GTT, random BGs, and fasting bgs are the only acceptable standards.

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,783 posts
  • I am a:Type 1

According to no standards is a1c an acceptable diagnostic tool. GTT, random BGs, and fasting bgs are the only acceptable standards.

Tell that to all the docs that use it as a diagnostic tool. 25 years of diabetes here and have NEVER had a C-Peptide, GAD, or fasting.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

sweetblood

sweetblood

• Seniors
  • 531 posts
  • I am a:Type 2

tell THAT to my dr...ive had rbg in 200s and he insists i dont have diabetes...along w several other drs of course my 2h bg is fine
type 2 diabetes
stage 1 renal disease w HTN
asthma
B 12 def
biotin def

a1c 1/27/11: 5.5 :D--holding steady...

A1c 12/3/13: 5.7

Insulin AB: negative
GAD 65: negative

just a swingin' :eek:

Born fighting, forever a fighter!

PERSIST AND DOORS WILL OPEN

sweetblood

sweetblood

• Seniors
  • 531 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
ive been told by diabetic that bg levels above 126 mg dl can cause damage...

is THIS true??

wat do y'all think
type 2 diabetes
stage 1 renal disease w HTN
asthma
B 12 def
biotin def

a1c 1/27/11: 5.5 :D--holding steady...

A1c 12/3/13: 5.7

Insulin AB: negative
GAD 65: negative

just a swingin' :eek:

Born fighting, forever a fighter!

PERSIST AND DOORS WILL OPEN

cheryl

cheryl

• Seniors
  • 1,432 posts
Yea, I have been in the 8's in the past but extremely level, not a lot of low's a couple a month tops, and was always 160-220 and it seemed to keep me level and happy....now that I have been trying to lower my a1c's and all that ****, well I actually started to roller coaster in 06 just wouldn't level off the way I used too.....so I knew I had to get em down, but for some reason still to this day my body fights me to want to be 160, it's like it is it's magic number......it likes it there.....LOL....I fight it but and try and try but after a few days of really good bg's it wants to elevate and go to 160-200 and I make it go down, and then it misbehaves for a couple of days, then I go back down to normal bg's again, sometimes I just want to throw in the towel, and look up above and say GOD, please I try, don't let me get complications, I am trying oh well....one day maybe I'll be 100 all the time...

Cheryl
Don't know who I want as president, but I know I don't want to live like a communist....ENOUGH SAID.....

March a1c 6.4
Pumper 522 with Humalog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users