- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,105 posts
Hi,

I'm wondering if any has found that Metformin suppresses their appetite?

I started on Metformin about two weeks ago and have also been working to lose weight (7lbs down in 2 weeks :D ), the strange thing is even though I have dramatically changed my diet and I'm now exercising I haven't felt hungry at all. I'm eating a small breakfast (haven't done this in years), small lunch and then an evening meal. Sometimes at night I will have some fruit. Nighttime used to be my "bad" time for food and I reckon a lot was habit, as now when I want a nibble and have fruit, it's not because I hungry.

I'm not worried about this, as it's great not being hungry, I'm just curious.
Posted Image

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 14u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.
Most recent A1c 20/11/13: 11.6% <= back where I started

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,813 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Hi Dave: Metformin has a weight-loss side effect in some, and this generally stabilizes the longer you are on it.

I had a lot of hunger issues around the time of diagnosis. I never felt full, i'd eat, 1/2 hr later feel so hungry again, that gnawing hunger feeling. It was embarrassing...and disturbing to me.

Since metformin helps your body better utilize the insulin you are still producing, you're not as hungry. When we have insulin resistance, we eat, but our body doesn't properly utilize the insulin, so our cells aren't getting "fed" properly. The brain sends out hunger signals, we eat more, produce more insulin that we don't properly utilize, still feel hungry, eat more, and so on...a vicious cycle. I believe that's why many of us T2s are so overweight.

Congrats on all the positive changes you're making! Keep up the good work...and enjoy that break from hunger.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Kubilee

Kubilee

• 500 plus
  • 477 posts

Hi Dave: Metformin has a weight-loss side effect in some, and this generally stabilizes the longer you are on it.

I had a lot of hunger issues around the time of diagnosis. I never felt full, i'd eat, 1/2 hr later feel so hungry again, that gnawing hunger feeling. It was embarrassing...and disturbing to me.

I had the exact same problem and I didn't know what in the world to do about it. I am 43 yrs old and have never had hunger issues like that in my life. BEFORE my diagnosis, I'd ONLY eat when I was hungry and I'd only feel hungry MAYBE twice a day, but mostly I'd eat one meal a day..... just never have been very food motivated at ALL.... in fact, if I wasn't getting sick, I'd rarely even remember to eat period.

BUT, wow...... at first after being put on Metformin, I felt bad about being hungry all the time and was so worried about putting on more weight, since I had so much I needed to lose anyway...... I didn't know I could put on weight by NOT eating, so the extra weight was depressing.

But the Dr told me to eat more, my life literally depended on it and I'd lose weight, and to eat good, but to EAT and eat A LOT more than I was... so I followed what he told me and I ate but ate healthy and to my shock, I lost almost 20lbs in the first 3 months and after awhile the Metformin wasn't being so mean to me and making me want to eat all the stinking time. lol

But wow...... my first month or so, all I wanted to DO was eat and I felt horrible about it. Trying to adjust to a new diet and having that hunger thing all at once almost overwhelmed me!!
I am a Type II, DX - 5/11/07
Meds - Metformin 425MG 3x daily

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,105 posts

Since metformin helps your body better utilize the insulin you are still producing, you're not as hungry. When we have insulin resistance, we eat, but our body doesn't properly utilize the insulin, so our cells aren't getting "fed" properly. The brain sends out hunger signals, we eat more, produce more insulin that we don't properly utilize, still feel hungry, eat more, and so on...a vicious cycle. I believe that's why many of us T2s are so overweight.

Congrats on all the positive changes you're making! Keep up the good work...and enjoy that break from hunger.

I'm absolutely enjoying the break from hunger, may have to stop telling my wife how weird it is not to be hungry, she has great patience, but everyone has their limits;)

The weight loss and improving BG levels are a real boost and are keeping me motivated, I know from experience that I can't expect to continue to lose weight at this rate but I'm enjoying it while I can. I was even able to sit and watch friends enjoying an "Oreo Milkshake" yesterday without wanting to order one for myself :eek:

I've decided to look at the Diabetes as a blessing in disguise, I'm losing weight, walking more, feeling much better and the side effect is that the whole family are eating healthier.
Posted Image

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,813 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
Dave, the "blessing in disguise" is a very true statement. For me, I will probably live longer WITH diabetes than I would have if I hadn't been diagnosed, as it forces me to take better care of myself. You're still really early in the game...it will get easier to deal with as time passes....it does become just one more chapter in your life...on that takes a little effort, but its just something we have to deal with...and you're dealing with it quite well so far!

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

moorejames

moorejames

• 500 plus
  • 528 posts
Metformin absolutely killed my appetite, but it was more from the naseau and side effects than any sort of appetite suppressant.

Hard to want to eat when you know you'll be getting stomach cramps soon after.

Now that things have settled down, I would say that I very rarely have those days where I'm constantly hungry. Now, I get seem to get hungry when I should for the most part. Might be the metformin, or it might just be having consistent (lower) blood glucose levels.

It's nice to get off the insulin/BG roller coaster.

shockme

shockme

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,316 posts
unfortuneately,it did not affect my appetite....wish something would! trish
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]jan.a1c-9.2...may a1c-6.1...aug.a1c-5.8 jan.a1c 6.0Posted Image

mg_2204

mg_2204

• 500 plus
  • 3,271 posts

Hi,

I'm wondering if any has found that Metformin suppresses their appetite?

At the very beginning only because I was always kneeling in front of the white porcelain... :puke:

Everything went back to normal as soon as the meds kicked in, roughly 6 weeks later.

trowter

trowter

• 500 plus
  • 198 posts
My doctor increased my metformin dosage from 500 mg per day to 1500 mgs per day about 5 weeks ago.
I completely lost my appetite...not that that's a bad thing, but just very odd for me. It does seem to be getting better as time goes on though.

Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily

• Validating
  • 162 posts
David

did you know that metformin was originally produced to be a diet med, but they discovered it had this marvellous side affect for diabetics............

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,105 posts

David

did you know that metformin was originally produced to be a diet med, but they discovered it had this marvellous side affect for diabetics............

Well that explains things ...
Posted Image

Margaretnsereko

Margaretnsereko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm absolutely enjoying the break from hunger, may have to stop telling my wife how weird it is not to be hungry, she has great patience, but everyone has their limits;)

The weight loss and improving BG levels are a real boost and are keeping me motivated, I know from experience that I can't expect to continue to lose weight at this rate but I'm enjoying it while I can. I was even able to sit and watch friends enjoying an "Oreo Milkshake" yesterday without wanting to order one for myself :eek:

I've decided to look at the Diabetes as a blessing in disguise, I'm losing weight, walking more, feeling much better and the side effect is that the whole family are eating healthier.

:):) It is good to hear that someone else can relate to my experience. I have been taking metformin for a week and I have just started to have a extreme loss of appetite. I am concerned that it will slow down my ability to loose weight. Before starting the meds. I was so hungry and tires all the time, but now I have more energy, I am not as tired but I am not hungry at all. It is almost impossible to eat. I am noticing a little weight gain but not a lot, but it is only the first week. I am going to stick with it because my a1-c is already looking better and I feel better.

Margaretnsereko

Margaretnsereko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I meant to say a little weight loss but not a lot!

SueL4

SueL4

• 500 plus
  • 532 posts
Margaret,
For me, metformin does curb my appetite some, but definitely never enough to make it so I can't eat. I've lost weight on 2,000 mg daily.
A1C: 7/13 - 5.7
4/15/12 - 5.7
6/26/12 - 10.1
lost 103 pounds since 6/26/12
low carb, low protein diet
Meds: Metformin 1000 mg
20 mg Benicar
50 mg XL Toprol

Bridget_larsen

Bridget_larsen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I just started on Metformin about 2 months ago for T2 diabetes. I noticed a strange although not unpleasant side effect is that my appetite has decreased dramatically. Before taking the medication I was hungry most of the time and craved certian things that were not altogether good for me, like carbs...my body just had to have them, and now I find that eating large amounts makes me terribly uncomfortable plus I don't have the desire to eat as much as before and even when I do eat, instead of wolfing it down like I usually did because i was so ravenous, I tend to eat more slowly and often don't even finish the portion I have. Hoping I'll see a weight change at my next doctors visit...

NMSunshine

NMSunshine

• 500 plus
  • 351 posts
Metformin helped a lot with my appetite. My stomach hurt when I was hungry, hurt when I was full. The only time I didn't feel pain was while I was eating. I've lost 30# from Nov to March. I noticed you are on Victoza. That also has appetite suppressing side effects.
Dh is thin, has always been thin. He has a weird habit of stopping eating when he's full. I could never understand that. You still have food on your plate, how can you be full? Now that I also have that satisfied, full feeling I stop eating and push the plate away.

Scotty13

Scotty13

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
It didn’t so much curb my appetite ........as kill it. I missed all the nasty little side effects of Metformin...except that one. In the beginning I had days when I was just not hungry at all...eating was a chore. I ate because I needed to not because I wanted to. I drop too much weight. But it’s hard to eat when your just not hungry. Now ...some two years down the road..it is so much better. However, there are still times.....when I am not hungry..but not nearly so much as in the beginning. I gained the weight back...and needed too.
Metformin 2000mg, Lantius insulin 15 units
A1C May 2011 13.2 A1C 5.5 for a year and a half
Walk a hour and a half most days...at Basset hound speed, ellipitical machine at times.

robinkodi

robinkodi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have been on Metformin for about 5 weeks now and I went from hungry all the time to not so much now. I have to force myself to eat sometimes. I also find that if I eat the amount I used to eat pre-diabetes I feel really sick. I also was just feeling sick (nauseous) after most meals. How long will that last? My doctor cut my dose back to 500mg 2xday and that seems to help.

pat593

pat593

• 500 plus
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFairfield County, CT
  • I am a:Type 1.5
One of the many reasons I like my Met. When I first started, my appetite totally went away and I had to "remind" myself to eat! My evening cravings lessened, I can easily pass up sugar treats and eat much smaller meals than before. Down 60 pounds so far and weighed in this morning at 124!

I've been on Met since October and although my appetite is back, not like before. I eat as much as I want until I feel full. I have more energy and actually want to exercise every day!

My problem with Met is stomach upset at higher doses - can't seem to manage more than 3 pills a day (1500) and my doc wants me to go up to 4 (2000).

Anyone gain the weight back on Met? Worried I will be like Charlie in Flowers for Algernon!

Pat
Age 56
Diagnosed 8/12 - A1C 9.1 Fasting 200, weight 183

2/13 -  A1C 6.9
5/13 -  A1C 7.1
8/13 -  A1C 6.5         weight 118

10/13 - A1C 7.4%  
2/14 -  A1C 7.0%      diagnosed as Type 1.5

3/14 -  A1C 6.3%

6/14 -  A1C 6.3%      weight 128

Lantus, Humalog, Metformin
low carb, regular, gentle exercise every day

King's Ruby

King's Ruby

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
I am not sure if it is the Met or the low carb diet, but I certainly don't have the "bottomless pit" hunger that I had before I was dx'd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users