V8 juice

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Gabby123

Gabby123

• 500 plus
  • 214 posts
Does anyone know if drinking a v8 juice daily really accounts for the vegetable servings? I know to watch the sodium but since I don't always eat enough vegetables this would help take care of it.

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
Gabby, V8 seems to lower my BS. I love the taste, and use it instead of orange juice, which is really hard on my BS.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,809 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Guess this is something I should try....I always figured it would taste like "cold soup" which sounds yucky to me!

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

volleyball

volleyball

• 500 plus
  • 2,040 posts
I would think that it being tomato juice and other juices, that it would rise your BS a bit. I don't like it so never and will never be able to test that theory. Anybody game?
Diabetes is a condition that you have to manage or it will manage you. The care team is only there in a supporting role

MJB

MJB

• 500 plus
  • 606 posts
10g carb in 8oz. It should be BG friendly.

I prefer tomato juice with some worcestershire and tabasco.

And of course some Vodka. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] :thrasher:

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts
Maybe V8 works as a substitute for fresh veggies - maybe there's no such thing as a good substitute for fresh fruits and veggies, I don't know...

V8 is probably not unhealthy so if you like it - go ahead.

There is another product that I know of that claims to give you a lot of what you would get form fresh fruits and veggies - wheatgrass juice is packed with phytochemicals.

Click here for a chart that shows a comparison of wheatgrass to actual veggies.

mho357

mho357

• 500 plus
  • 705 posts
I've found it to be fairly BG friendly. I often have a small can of it for my PM snack at work.

Mark
Dx May 2007

A1C @ Dx = 7.0
9/15/07 = 5.1 (Biosafe home test kit)
10/9/07 = 5.4
1/18/08 = 5.4
6/11/08 = 5.3
11/4/08 = 5.6

Fortamet 500 mg

Gabby123

Gabby123

• 500 plus
  • 214 posts
I would think the only thing missing with juice instead of actual veges would be the fiber maybe? Could taking fiber tabs fix that?I do eat veges just not enough to have 5 servings aday.

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts

I would think the only thing missing with juice instead of actual veges would be the fiber maybe? Could taking fiber tabs fix that?I do eat veges just not enough to have 5 servings aday.

Dr. Andrew Weil
contradicts this notion in many of his works, not least "Taking Care Of Yourself" where he specifically cautions against the kind of "reductionist - tomato in a pill" type of claim we are talking about here.

I don't know what they do to V8 exactly but basically, if it goes through a machine or two... it's less good than it was. If they pasteurize it, which is probably a good idea - say goodbye to most of the goodness. That's the idea I get anyway.

Mich

Mich

• 500 plus
  • 2,242 posts
I use V-8 juice as a base for a great gazpacho. I chop cukes, tomatoes, peppers and such into it, a a few spices and keep it in the fridge. Makes a great snack or even a small meal, served with a slice of toast. Disappears fast in our house when it's hot outside!

I prefer this over straight V-8 because of the fiber content.

Jill-O

Jill-O

• 500 plus
  • 1,656 posts
I love it and drink it a few times a week :)

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

kayt98

kayt98

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I love V8 but had to give it up because of the salt and there is a LOT of it in the stuff.
Dx 1996 A1c10.8
Been thru the pills
NOW on Lantus 11/28/07 and Novolog 07/30/08
When all else fails "Just follow the Yellow Brick Road"

georgepds

georgepds

• 500 plus
  • 1,044 posts

I love V8 but had to give it up because of the salt and there is a LOT of it in the stuff.

maybe the low sodium version would help

V8® - V8® 100% Vegetable Juice

"Low Sodium V8 has 140mg of sodium. V8® 100% Vegetable Juice has 590mg sodium."

--G

trowter

trowter

• 500 plus
  • 198 posts

My drink of choice...The vodka seems to wipe out any effect from the tomato juice.

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts

My husband decided this recipe would cure my cough...he made a drink and told me to "down it". It cured my cough for about an hour, I could barely breathe or swallow anything! :) I am not much of a drinker, so he enjoyed it much more than I did.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

mg_2204

mg_2204

• 500 plus
  • 3,271 posts
Love V8! With lots of pepper in it. I cook with it too. But I wouldn't count a glass of V8 as a vegetable portion. I wouldn't count a glass of orange juice as a portion of fruit either. Because you just don't get the fiber with juices. But that's just me saying this.

I find tomato juice too acid.

Gabby123

Gabby123

• 500 plus
  • 214 posts
I found low sodium V8 with only 80mg of sodium.

Hikeandbike

Hikeandbike

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
I drink a full can of spicey hot V-8 every morning. I make chili with it and also bloody mary's. Gotta watch the sodium but I think the vitamins and minerals one gets is worth it. Before being diagnosed was a pretty big drinker. Doc told me to have a v-8 every day to replace stuff that was lost. Been doing it for years! Wow, I coulda had a V-8:)
R
Lantus: 35 u's bedtime
Humalog: 1:7 carb ratio
Actos plus met 1000mg a.m.
Statins
BPs numerous
LD aspirin
Fish squeezins
A1c: 03/2007 13.7:eek:
A1c: 06/2007 5.7:)
A1c: 10/2007 5.6:D
A1c: 03/2008 5.7:)