- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

shabbie

shabbie

• 500 plus
  • 473 posts
my cartridge reservoir holds 315
my pump trainer told me to change out the whole lot every 6 days. and change just the cannula every 3 days.

by the 6th day i still have a half cartridge left, so instead of changing it i just pop a new cannula in and carry on for another 3 days.

i dont have any weird highs towards my 9th day. and the insulin still looks good and clear.

how often should we really be changing the insulin cartridge?

any comments are appreciated ;)
Sharon :)

palefacegirl03

palefacegirl03

• 500 plus
  • 1,061 posts
I usually change it every 3 days, I take about 70 TDD, so I can almost get 4 days. I have also just refilled the cartridge and put it back in and just change my set, a couple of times.
Posted Image
Type 1 20 years :proud:

pumping with purple MM 722, since 9/21/07
Finally named my pump, she is PIF, that stands for purple insulin feeder :D

http://www.facebook....662&ref=profile

kstreeter513

kstreeter513

• 500 plus
  • 283 posts
My cartriage will hold about 300, but I don't even use 40 units a day, so I only fill it up about 1/3 of the way (change everything out every other day). I have the MM722. Let the nurse talk me out of the MM522.:mad: She said I would be happier with a pump that holds more insulin, but I should have listened to my instincts. The fact that the 522 is smaller frustrates me further. Oh well, I know better for next time.:)

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,769 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
I change mine with my infusion set. The Animas holds 186 units and I use roughly 60 units a day so it works out perfect.

I sometimes use the cartridges twice as I like to save waste, however, now I have 3 times as many cartridges as infusion sets somehow from doing that.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

blue eyes

blue eyes

• 500 plus
  • 248 posts
When I started pumping I asked my diabetes educator about this. I was filling up the entire reservoir to 180 units (well a tiny little bit under actually). I hated having to waste insulin so that’s why asked the DE about not changing the reservoir on the third day...
My educator said I need to change the reservoir when I change the site but you don't have to fill it up all the way- just what you'd use in 3 days.

Diagnosed 27/09/06
Pumping with MM522 since 05/11/07
CGMS since Nov 2008

Posted Image

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,118 posts
I think you are ok not changing it regularly. I change mine whenever it runs out. I change my set every three days or less. Sometimes they coincide. MM had mixed sets too where only half in the box have tubing. I think $ for some would definately be an issue. Get the most use you can.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

lisa821

lisa821

• 500 plus
  • 245 posts
When I was on the Disetronic pump I only changed out the cartridge when I had 20 units or less left, usually every 5 or 6 days. I've never heard of changing it out every three days. Interesting.

shabbie

shabbie

• 500 plus
  • 473 posts
my sets are boxed with half with tubing and half without too.
i suppose its not too much of an issue whilst the weather is chilly, but maybe when it gets hotter in the summer (yeah we can dream here in the uk!) i could switch to every 6 days for a cartridge change.
its interesting that some of you change out the whole thing every 3 days.
Sharon :)

markr

markr

• 500 plus
  • 190 posts
I have always changed the reservoir and tubing together. Usually once every 5 or 6 days, but I never go below 5 units in the reservoir. Does anyone use the extra plastic cap that is included with the Quick-Set?

rocky

rocky

• 500 plus
  • 125 posts

I have always changed the reservoir and tubing together. Usually once every 5 or 6 days, but I never go below 5 units in the reservoir. Does anyone use the extra plastic cap that is included with the Quick-Set?

I do when I go swimming.
Type 1 since June 12, 1997. (12yrs old)
Started Pumping Nov. 19, 2007 - MM722 :D
Started MM Real-Time CGMS May 13, 2010 :D

KAnderson

KAnderson

• 500 plus
  • 148 posts
I use about 60 units TTD, so my MM722 won't hold enough to go every other set change. I do change the reservoir with each change, but I have reused the cartridge on occasion.

Markr - I toss the plastic cap that comes with the set - I think that most folks here do too from what I remember...except for some who swim.

Ken

Gordonm

Gordonm

• 500 plus
  • 1,515 posts
My MM 522 will last me 5 days so that is when I change the resevoir. I use my resevoirs twice then toss them out. I change my set out every 4 days and change the tubing out when I fill the resevoir. I have let mine go down below empty and there is still a little in reserve so it has never been a problem. I will only go maybe an hour or so then change it out. I did not need the 722s big resevoir so I got the 522. Working fine with it.
Type 1 since 4/74
Pump user since 10/17/06!
MM 523 pump
Bike miles
2013 3196
2014 2675 miles

palefacegirl03

palefacegirl03

• 500 plus
  • 1,061 posts
If I take of my pump for an intimate moment with DH, I will place one of those caps over the set, so that the hub, does not scratch or rub one of us wrong,:T
Posted Image
Type 1 20 years :proud:

pumping with purple MM 722, since 9/21/07
Finally named my pump, she is PIF, that stands for purple insulin feeder :D

http://www.facebook....662&ref=profile

frige

frige

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
i put enough insulin in the cart to get close to 6 days (maybe as much as 8 days). I try use as much as I can before I change it. I dont bother trying to line it up with an infusion set change - they are like two seperate things for me now.

I also like running the battery down till there's one tick mark, and the little almost empty icon shows.

-john

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users