Photo

What meter has the cheapest test strips?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,795 posts
My online drug store which is Caremark told me my meter has high price strips that cost me for testing me three times a day and ninety days would be $240.00. My meter is Contour.

Thanks, Rob

wiseguy

wiseguy

• 500 plus
  • 639 posts
From what I've found it appears that the Wal-Mart ReliOn brand strips are the least expensive at about $43.00 per 100 strips.

Jill-O

Jill-O

• 500 plus
  • 1,656 posts
Yes, I would also say that the Walmart "ReliOn" brand is the best value. My insurance covers my strips and I use One Touch, but I do have a ReliOn meter and strips I bought to just have on hand at my parents' house. I keep One Touch Ultra 2 meters at home and my office and a One Touch Mini in my purse. I compared the ReliOn meter to one of my One Touch meters and they were both in agreement.

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

sherry

sherry

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
There are several lower cost strips at this website:
Diabetic Supplies Online - Diabetes Testing Supplies - American Diabetes Wholesale

The only one I've used on here is the prodigy, and it has given results close to my onetouch ultra.

advocate: 16.99 for 50
advocate redi-code: 17.99 for 50
Prestige: 16.65 for 50
Bionime Rightest GS 300: 16.95 for 50
Home Aide Diagnostics Easy Check: 13.79 for 50
Prodigy: 17.99 for 50
and others

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I had a ReliOn as a backup meter a few years ago. It worked fine. The meter was very resonable and the strips were also.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

palefacegirl03

palefacegirl03

• 500 plus
  • 1,061 posts
I have Caremark for my prescriptions too.
My copay for 90 days worth of one touch is almost 100, I found out that if I use the durable medical part of my regular insurance , the same one I get my pump supplies thru, that I pay less for strips thru the DME benifits . You might see if that is an option.

What is the perferred meter and strips thru Caremark for you ?
They should have a better copay than the Contour also.
Posted Image
Type 1 20 years :proud:

pumping with purple MM 722, since 9/21/07
Finally named my pump, she is PIF, that stands for purple insulin feeder :D

http://www.facebook....662&ref=profile

ralphrepo

ralphrepo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I know that this thread is already 3 years old, but I just wanted to let everyone know that the information contained within it is still valuable. I went to a local drug store and bought a glucose meter (Easy Gluco AST) and an extra box of strips for $29 and $44 (respectively). Using the website that respondent Sherry suggest (American Diabetes Wholesale), I found the exact same product for approx $13 and $18. For those that are newly diagnosed (like me) this thread saved a bundle. Thanks again.

Granny Shanny

Granny Shanny

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,380 posts
The ReliOn meter is also still available for $9, and a box of 100 ReliOn strips is $39 at Walmart.

ljjhouser

ljjhouser

• 500 plus
  • 1,747 posts
OneTouch strips are $25 per 50 strips at Canadadrug Larry
A1c
10.7 - BG 246 - 08/07/2009
7.4 - BG 94 - 10/07/2009
6.2 - BG 96 - 11/11/2009
5.8 BG 92 - 1/05/2010
5.7 BG 87 - 05/03/2010

No Meds, just diet - so far!

I came into this world with nothing, and I've been able to keep most of that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A week of paddling instruction is worth a lifetime of "paddling around."

Freedom&Light

Freedom&Light

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Consumer Reports rated the One Touch Mini, Bayer Contour, ReliOn, and Accu-chek the best quality in meters.

I use the ReliOn most because it's cheaper, but have a Contour- I like the strips better.
Diagnosed Type 2 on 3/5/10
A1c 7.7% At Diagnosis - A1c 6/2/10 5.4%! :D
Met 500 BID and Januvia 50 mg
Low carb FTW! ~38 pounds down!

:party:

erinv

erinv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
If you are looking for cheap name brand test strips go to glucomart.com. They sell test strips by expiration date so you can get test strips that are expiring in two months for like 90% off. My diabetes educator told me about them.

JCinVA

JCinVA

• Validating
  • 282 posts
Just to add on, I think the Walmart Relion micro/confirm are the best deal as the strips (at my local WM) are 36$/100. They are not coded, and no prescription is required. I have the micro, as well as a One Touch the Dr. gave me. I use both.

JCinVA

JCinVA

• Validating
  • 282 posts

Just to add on, I think the Walmart Relion micro/confirm are the best deal as the strips (at my local WM) are 36$/100. They are not coded, and no prescription is required. I have the micro, as well as a One Touch the Dr. gave me. I use both.

Did not see this was an old thread. Anyways, still always a relevant question.

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,322 posts
  • Location95966
  • I am a:Type 2

If you are looking for cheap name brand test strips go to glucomart.com.

I just browsed their site, as a skeptic, of course. Looks to be legit'. Thanks for that...a lot of people come through here with no insurance and are looking for inexpensive ways to manage their diabetes.

'Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.'
-Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, 400 BC

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,322 posts
  • Location95966

...and no prescription is required.

No one needs a prescription to buy test strips.

kayell

kayell

• 500 plus
  • 252 posts
I pay US $12.99/50 for strips for my SolusV2 from Amazon. The cheapest I have seen are $9.00/50 for the Relion Prime at Walmart.

There are several different Relion meters. The Relion Prime has the cheapest strips.

Ooops, also missed that this was old thread. Oh well, worth recycling, though older prices out of date.
T2 Getting back on the LC

JCinVA

JCinVA

• Validating
  • 282 posts

No one needs a prescription to buy test strips.

Even for my One Touch Ultra 2? I thought I had to have the prescription (well they gave me a script) for those strips (ultra blue) because of coding? Now I'm confused
because I thought I needed the prescription for the strips for that meter. And they are expensive! ($120/100).

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,322 posts
  • Location95966

Even for my One Touch Ultra 2? I thought I had to have the prescription (well they gave me a script) for those strips (ultra blue) because of coding? Now I'm confused because I thought I needed the prescription for the strips for that meter. And they are expensive! ($120/100).

When you say "they are expensive" do you mean you're paying for them "out of pocket"? Because if you are...you can do a lot better elsewhere.

In the USA, Meters, test strips, lancet devices, lancets are all OTC items. If you have a health plan or Medicaid or Medicare that reimburses you...then they require that a doctor prescribe those items. Unless I'm mistaken...just about anything that insurance or health plans pay for needs a doctor's prescription.

JCinVA

JCinVA

• Validating
  • 282 posts
My insurance is lame. They paid for the meter, but no help on the strips, but I guess it still gets "run thru," or reported to them, but yea I pay outta pocket. How can I get the ultra blues elsewhere? What about the "coding?" Thanks!

When you say "they are expensive" do you mean you're paying for them "out of pocket"? Because if you are...you can do a lot better elsewhere.

In the USA, Meters, test strips, lancet devices, lancets are all OTC items. If you have a health plan or Medicaid or Medicare that reimburses you...then they require that a doctor prescribe those items. Unless I'm mistaken...just about anything that insurance or health plans pay for needs a doctor's prescription.

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,322 posts
  • Location95966

My insurance is lame. They paid for the meter, but no help on the strips, but I guess it still gets "run thru," or reported to them, but yea I pay outta pocket.

You are new to this, aren't you! First, any doctor that "suggests/prescribes" any particular test meter does so for a reason. The One Touch Ultra 2 has computer upload capabilities, so that may have been the reason (if the office asks you to bring the meter with you). If they don't, the only other reason that doctor could have for prescribing that particular meter is kickback endorsements. Did the doctor ask you what meter you wanted to use? Second, your insurance company will/should pay for test strips...they just won't pay for the One Touch Ultra 2 "blue" test strips, those are the high dollar "double-sure" test strips. Call your insurance company, find out what test meter strips they'll pay for. If they won't pay for any...you might consider changing insurance companies (that's what they're for). As for the insurance company paying for the meter, Save Rite sells 'em for $19. The paperwork at the insurance company to reimburse the place you got the meter cost more than the meter did. One Touch would have sent you one for free.

How can I get the ultra blues elsewhere?

Out of pocket you can purchase the "blues" from anyone who sells them.

What about the "coding?"

Yes, One Touch Ultra 2 uses coded test strips. Not sure what you mean by "what about the coding?" Not all meters require coding. In my opinion, meters that need to be coded are just a hair more accurate than meters that don't need to be coded. How "accurate" you need to be is up to you. Since you're a Type 2 and on a low dose of Metformin...I'm thinkin' the whole "accuracy" thing isn't that important in your case. You could die from poverty at this rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users