Photo

Does hypoglycemia lead to developing diabetes?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

BeadieJay

BeadieJay

• 500 plus
  • 848 posts
I've been searching the web for links, to try and find out if it was inevitable that I would develop diabetes, but I can't find anything conclusive.

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia approx 23 years ago. I really need to know if this condition led to me becoming diabetic.

The reason that this is so important to me right now, is because I'm under an awful lot of stress due to my parents coming to visit on Tuesday. My mum is a lovely woman, she's generous, always buying things for my children and for my family as a whole, but she is incredibly critical. When I told her that I was diabetic she wasn't surprised....she thought it was inevitable because I'm overweight. I would simply love to tell her that I'm diabetic because I've been hypoglycemic for 20 odd years (very odd years LOL)

I need to find one less stress related with her visit....right now it's 2:30 in the morning, I can't sleep because I have a bad cold, my house is a mess thanks to two untidy kids, and I'd planned to clean the house from top to bottom today and tomorrow - but I haven't been able to do anything because I've been feeling so ill. I always stress out big time before her visits - I last saw her a year ago, and I really don't want my bsl to go sky high because of my mum!!

So, please, can someone point me to a link that will prove this to my mum, and give me at least one thing that I can tell her is not my fault?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

***Sue***

mike9876

mike9876

• 500 plus
  • 303 posts
Hi Sue

The doctors don't have a clue what causes type 2 diabetes and why we become insulin resistant and why our insulin production drops. They guess its weight but you get plenty of skinny type 2's as well. With you, it could all be genetic, a family member could of been type 2 and not known it and the disease can skip 2 or 3 generations. I have 7 brothers and 1 sister and I am the only one who is diabetic. I ask myself why me, why non of the others, it really depresses me. Don't take you mums criticism, tell her your diabetic and proud of it and its a part of who you are and that she will have to accept it. Tell her its not your fault and that its down to the genes she or your father passed onto you. Diabetes is nobodies fault it happens. Don't get stressed but be proud to belong to this exclusive club and show your mum that. She is only critical because she can get a reaction out of you. Show her that her criticism means nothing to you and you don't give a toss, she will soon give up. It seems to me she uses it to have some last bit of power over you and to show she is still the boss.

Mike

HeatherP

HeatherP

• 500 plus
  • 2,872 posts
Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear about all the stress you've got. I don't really understand hypoglycemia as a disease, so I can't help you there. I have had people like your mom in my life, and they can be very difficult to deal with. T2 has a very strong genetic link, so maybe it's really her fault after all?

I don't know. People like this are just difficult. Take a deep breath, count to ten, and realize that you are an adult. You have your own family now, and you cannot worry about her opinions. You do not ever have to answer to her. Take good care of yourself. In the end, that's what matters. The heck with her!

hugs and purrrrrrrrrrrs,
HeatherP
Posted Image

To err is human, to purr feline >^.^<

T1 since 1991, Cozmo Pump 11/05

MarkMunday

MarkMunday

Banned

• Banned
  • 617 posts
Sue,

Hypoglycemia can can have various causes. And early diabetes is one of them. See the first few lines in [URL=http://www.medicinenet.com/hypoglycemia/page2.htm]this link[/URL] . And good luck with your mother's lvisit (a bit of self-hypnosis could really help!).

Cheers,

Mark

zookeeper671

zookeeper671

• 500 plus
  • 1,138 posts
Hi Sue~

I've wondered the same as you, since I suffered from pretty severe hypoglycemic episodes (dx'ed with Reactive Hypoglycemia) decades before I developed T1 diabetes. I guess I don't fit the mold. I've always been thin, and no one in my immediate family has diabetes (yet many family members suffer from hypoglycemia).

As for your mom... Oi. I don't think I could offer any better advice than you've already received. Your mom has her opinions, but they're just that... opinions. They may not change, nor will her love for you.

Best wishes,
Angie
Posted ImagePosted Image

Teresa

Teresa

• 500 plus
  • 338 posts
ugh, i hope her visit goes well, i would say the best thing is not to let anything negative she says effect u! ur a nice person and diabetes doesnt effect that either way... hold ya head up high!

i hope u find some useful info to tell her too... blinding her with info would prob make her be quiet as she prob wont have the knowledge to argue back at it

am1977

am1977

• 500 plus
  • 4,534 posts
Hi Sue,

I was Hypoglycemic before I was diagnosed as Type 1. I had all the symptoms, light headedness, shakiness, etc. During this period of time, I was in the midst of an eating disorder, so it's hard to tell if it was just b/c I wasn't eating properly or if it was b/c of hypoglycemia. In my opinion it was the latter, b/c some people who diet never have these symptoms. It's obvious to most with hypoglycemia that something is off, your body isn't using the sugar/carbohydrates as it should be and you have a hypoglycemic attack, so to speak. A few years later, I was diagnosed Type 1. It's hard to know what brought Type 1 on, but it seems like something was wrong years before my diagnosis.

I'm sorry I don't have any links for you, but even printing out these posts of personal experiences might help her understand a little better. I hope things go smoothly and you end up having a nice time with your mother.

BeadieJay

BeadieJay

• 500 plus
  • 848 posts
Thank you so much for all of your replies and support for coping with my mum LOL

I've read all your posts, but have had one heck of a day so far, and haven't really been able to reply properly. I'm on line just for a few minutes, so will reply properly later.

After being up half the night with my cold, I finally managed to get a few hours sleep. Then I spent the morning trying to get rid of a leaving present that my 8 year old daughter left me with when she went off to Brownie camp......head lice (yuck...I HATE the things, but because both daughter and I have long hair, it seems to take forever to get rid of them). Anyway, I'm now nit-free, so decided to have some lunch, and was happily chewing on a piece of cold meat when I broke a filling in one of my teeth. That was pretty much the final straw and I had a good cry, which meant that my nose got all blocked up and I couldn't breathe LOL

I've spent the afternoon on the sofa feeling sorry for myself, and waiting for my daughter to get home from camp. She started scratching her head when she walked in, but thankfully it's only cos she's got sand in her hair!!!

I have decided to tell my mum that the diabetes was inevitable, because of the hypoglycemia. I'm also going to tell her that I'm sorry my house is a mess, but I've had a bad cold, and I'm going to try really, really hard not to panic tomorrow trying to get the house tidy. I might see if I can get a dental appointment for Wednesday, when my folks are here, so I can get away for a bit LOL

Gotta go....hubby's just walked in with take-away....chicken for me, they get chinese :rolleyes:

Teresa

Teresa

• 500 plus
  • 338 posts
sorry u had such a naf day! *hug* sounds like ur feeling more ok about ya moms visit now!

hope it goes well... and dont stress too much! :)

ooo.. and did she have a good time at camp??

KLD

KLD

Banned

• Banned
  • 495 posts
Hi Sue,

I think I've just come across what you've been looking for. I've just started reading the new Atkins book on type 2 diabetes called Atkins Diabetes Revolution and I came across this passage. The book is discussing the various stages of insulin/blood sugar abnormalities that culminate in type 2 diabetes, unless we take steps to prevent it, which, of course, most of us don't know soon enough to do. On page 65, it says the following:

Unless someone who is at stage 2 makes dietary modifications, insulin resistance and high insulin production will continue and reactive hypoglycemia (stage 3), with all its unpleasant symptoms, will surely follow. Dr. Atkins diagnosed hypoglycemia from the glucose tolerance test when the blood sugar dropped 60 points or more from one hour to the next or there was more than a 100-point change between the highest and lowest reading during the test. [Note from Karen: they are talking about a full 6-hour GTT here, not the standard 2-hour test that most of us get.] As the six stages make clear, hypoglycemia is not the opposite of diabetes. Rather, it's on the continuum that leads inexorably to diabetes.

Hope that helps.

Karen

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,116 posts

Originally posted by BeadieJay
I've been searching the web for links, to try and find out if it was inevitable that I would develop diabetes, but I can't find anything conclusive.

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia approx 23 years ago. I really need to know if this condition led to me becoming diabetic.

I know a fellow that has hypoglycemia, and he told me his doctor told him he was likely to develop diabetes later in life. So I thought it would be easy to find something....NOT. Anyway looking up hypoglycemia in non-diabetes related causes it makes sense that it could lead to diabetes. We know that a lack of glucose in the blood causes hypoglycemia for those of us with diabetes. While hypoglycemia in a non-diabetic is also from low blood glucose it is also known to be caused by an over production of insulin. It makes sense the over production of insulin in Hypoglycemics may lead to diabetes by either or both beta cell burnout or insulin resistance.

Sorry I could not find you a link in time. Maybe she will be open to a good explanation instead.

Good Luck!!!!! :)

KLD

KLD

Banned

• Banned
  • 495 posts
Hi again,

I tried to add this PS to my last post, but the time limit had expired, so I'll add it now. What I had intended to say was this:

PS: I thought I had read somewhere that Dr. Bernstein says hypoglycemia is not an isolated condition, but rather is a sign of unstable blood sugars and can lead to full diabetes, but I can't find where I read it. But it makes sense, and the above quote from the Atkins book backs it up.

Karen

Shalyndria

Shalyndria

Ex-moderator

• 500 plus
  • 1,919 posts
Sue,
I found a website that explains why hypoglycemia leads to diabetes.

This pattern of blood sugar swings *(the site talks about an abnormally excessive release of insulin that results from a reaction to rapid absorption of sugar)* contributes to the development of obesity and cumulative stress on the pancreas, adrenal glands and liver. The prolonged stress of compensating for the blood sugar swings contributes to the development of diabetes.

You can view the whole page here

Hope that helps :)
Shy

BeadieJay

BeadieJay

• 500 plus
  • 848 posts
Thank you SO much for all your help - it's great to have some real information to throw in my mum's direction.

I'll let you know how I get on when she's gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users