• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

janniev

janniev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi!

I've been diagnosed as a T1 since Sept 07. The dr prescribed me Lantus (12u per day) as basal insulin and Apidra (4u per meal = 12u per day) as bolus insulin. My BGs have worked fine with my vasting count rarely (once a month maybe) above 5.5 and post meal checks below 8. My HbA1c at diagnosis in Sept was 12,4 and the most recent one (31 Dec) was 6.1. So everyhting seems to be under control.

My medical insurance don't cover the Lantus (Even though they do cover the Apidra). I'm concerned that when the honeymoon is over that I'll need more Lantus, since it's quite expensive to purchase.

What other basal insulin might do the same trick as Lantus?

Thanks for all the great info!

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1

What other basal insulin might do the same trick as Lantus?

Thanks for all the great info!

Levemir I think from Novo Nordisk. I am thinking of getting Levemir too as the Lantus is a good insulin but the Pens that they use is terrible. The Autopen24 is not to my liking plus it uses 2U per click and that's just rubbish.

Novo for me. :D

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

UpNorth

UpNorth

• 500 plus
  • 1,393 posts
There's as said, Levemir from Novo Nordisk... I'm on Levemir for basal and Novorapid with meals, it works great. I've used Lantus aswell, just after diagnosed, but changed over to Levemir later because the Lantus pens are c.r.a.p. I prefer Novopens :) Levemir doesn't sting like Lantus when injecting, so i also feel it's more "comfortable" to use.
Posted Image

Type1 since october 2004.

MDI: Novorapid and Levemir with Novopen4

Main BG meter: Accu-Chek Compact Plus

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,642 posts

There's as said, Levemir from Novo Nordisk...

Hey North, Is Levemir clear like Lantus? I am going to change too as I am fed up with the stupid pen that they use. :(
And see if I can get the novopen 4. :D I bet that the Novopen 4 would be a joy to use. :D :D

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

Erin

Erin

• 500 plus
  • 837 posts
Are you using lantus vials or cartridges? Just checking because my insuance covers the regular vials just fine, but will not cover cartidges for pens. Silly silly regulation... but it doesn't bother me because it covers my novolog penfills in any case.

although I've never tried it, i've heard that levimer works as others have said... or you could try a pump.
That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.
- Dorothy Parker

T1 19 years
Minimed Paradigm 522... yay!

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,642 posts

although I've never tried it, i've heard that levimer works as others have said... or you could try a pump.

Hello Erin, As far as I know that levemir cannot be used in a pump from the Perscribing Notes that I have read.
I also think that Lantus cannot be used ither.

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

gambi

gambi

• 500 plus
  • 166 posts
I think the generic brand is NHP, right?

You could go on a pump in which you would use the Apidra as your basal insulin.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
Type 1 (MODY - maybe) April 2007
Mimi Med pump w/Apidra 10/24/07
CGMS - I would be lost with out it
Byetta 10mc - not typical for a type 1, but it's working!!!!
Metformin 1000 mg at night

Newly Wed 5/3/08

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,763 posts

I think the generic brand is NHP, right?

You could go on a pump in which you would use the Apidra as your basal insulin.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Nope- NPH is a different insulin all together. None of the insulins have generics.

As others have said, Levemir or a pump are your best options out there if Lantus isn't covered, though I personally think it's a shame that it isn't. I had much worse control on Levemir than on Lantus.

I'm surprised Lantus isn't covered.

Olidus

Olidus

• 500 plus
  • 541 posts

Hey North, Is Levemir clear like Lantus? I am going to change too as I am fed up with the stupid pen that they use. :(
And see if I can get the novopen 4. :D I bet that the Novopen 4 would be a joy to use. :D :D

Yes it is clear. The Novopen 4 is really a great delivery device.
Mark K~
Type 1
Dx June 21st 2007

HbA1c
-June 22, 07 - 12.8 - _ -Jan 23, 09- 5.8 - _ - _ - May 16, 2011 - 7.8
-Sep 27, 07 - 6.6- _ - _ -Aug 4, 09 - 6.2 - _ - _ - Nov 2, 2011 - 7.4
-Jan 3, 08 - 6.0 - _ - _ - Nov 3, 09 - 6.5
-April 16, 08 - 6.1 - _ -_Mar 8, 10 - 6.8
-July 21, 08 - 5.5 - _ - _ July 23, 10 - 6.8
-Oct 8, 08 - 6.1 - _ - _ - Nov 29, 10 - 6.9

MDI - NovaRapid & Levemir

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Diabetes is for the intelligent and disciplined."

janniev

janniev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It is a little stupid that it's not covered but I'll see. I'm willing to pay the few extra bucks and I know everything is under control since Lantus works quite good for me.

Does anybody know something about Humulog or Humulin? Will that be a suitable alternative?

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,109 posts

It is a little stupid that it's not covered but I'll see. I'm willing to pay the few extra bucks and I know everything is under control since Lantus works quite good for me.

Does anybody know something about Humulog or Humulin? Will that be a suitable alternative?

It is a fast acting insulin, a little slower and longer acting than your Apidra but not by much. An alternative is Novolog or Novorapid.

Some people here in a similar insurance situation as you still inject regular and NPH insulins. They are tough to manage though. The regular is too slow for a fast acting and the NPH is too fast and spikey for a basal.

What country are you in?
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

JJM335

JJM335

• 500 plus
  • 738 posts

I am thinking of getting Levemir too as the Lantus is a good insulin but the Pens that they use is terrible. The Autopen24 is not to my liking plus it uses 2U per click and that's just rubbish.

Novo for me. :D

Lantus is available in SoloStar disposable pens. This does 1U per click. It doesn't have the Mercedes-like feel of the Novopen, but it seems to do the job very adequately. I get my insulin free on the NHS, but I understand the cost of the pens and cartridges are the same, so there shouldn't be a problem with insurance. I now use the SoloStars for both Lantus and Apidra and have had no problems with them. I used to use the Autopen 24 1-20 version, which does do 1U per click, but I prefer the SoloStar.

I tried Levemir, it didn't work at all well for me. The action curve is very dose-dependent. I found that it only lasted about 10-11 hours, so my BG's would start to rise alarmingly in the last hour before my shot and for the following hour.

With Lantus I get more even coverage by taking it twice a day, at 10.00 pm and 8.00 am. Whether Lantus or Levemir works best seems to be very much dependent on the individual.

JediSurfer

JediSurfer

Banned

• Banned
  • 793 posts
The Lantus SoloStar disposable pens are slightly cheaper than the cartridges if thats any use to you. The price difference is around 10 dollars per box of five pens.

JJM335

JJM335

• 500 plus
  • 738 posts
Rich:

How are you getting on with the Apidra? Hope you got your supply of SoloStars.

The more I use it the more I like it - you couldn't pay me to go back to Novorapid. Apidra is just sooo predictable - makes corrections a cinch.

Joel

novorapid

novorapid

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
hi ant hill novorapid here yes levemir is clear and work with the novolin pen 4, great new pen by the way although takes a little getting used to as when you inject it's so quick that you think something is wrong but it's not, i take levemir 2x a day 25units and novorapid 3x a day levemir comes in the penfills just right for the new novolin 4 pen.

Novorapid

BlueSky

BlueSky

• 500 plus
  • 2,566 posts

Humalog is the quick acting mealtime stuff. Then you get Humulin R, which is Regular insulin (acts over 8 hours). Humulin N is NPH, a basal insulin that acts over 18-24 hours but with a big peak in the middle of it. It is probably covered as NPH is cheap. But switching to it from Lantus would be a backward step. Managing blood sugar levels around the peak is not easy.
In my humble opinion :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 since 1977
MDI using Lantus, Novorapid and Actrapid

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,642 posts

hi ant hill novorapid here yes levemir is clear and work with the novolin pen 4, great new pen by the way although takes a little getting used to as when you inject it's so quick that you think something is wrong but it's not, i take levemir 2x a day 25units and novorapid 3x a day levemir comes in the penfills just right for the new novolin 4 pen.

That's sounds cool Novorapid!!, Now I cannot wait to see my endo, So I am counting the days LOL... :D :T

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

janniev

janniev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

It is a fast acting insulin, a little slower and longer acting than your Apidra but not by much. An alternative is Novolog or Novorapid.

Some people here in a similar insurance situation as you still inject regular and NPH insulins. They are tough to manage though. The regular is too slow for a fast acting and the NPH is too fast and spikey for a basal.

What country are you in?

I live in South Africa. I'm not sure whether I'm going to try the Novolog (IS this the Basal and the Novorapid the bolus?). Since I'm still honeymooning, the Lantus and Apidra combination have worked quite well.

novorapid

novorapid

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
if any of you are thinking about changing to levemir, then i suggest you make sure that your health insurance will cover as it is very expensive, i have just changed from novolin nph, which cost $41 canadian for 5 penfills, to levemir 5 penfills, $136 canadian, thank the lord my health insurance covers 70%, how come levemir is so expensive ??. anyhow just a warning to all to check what is covered by your insurances.

Novorapid

sparrow1

sparrow1

• 500 plus
  • 327 posts

if any of you are thinking about changing to levemir, then i suggest you make sure that your health insurance will cover as it is very expensive, i have just changed from novolin nph, which cost $41 canadian for 5 penfills, to levemir 5 penfills, $136 canadian, thank the lord my health insurance covers 70%, how come levemir is so expensive ??. anyhow just a warning to all to check what is covered by your insurances.

I also take Levemir - which is $141 Canadian. My pharmacist says that it won't be long before Pharmacare covers it as they have now approved Lantus.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dx'd Type 2, 1989
Meds: Metformin 2500, Lantus 24, NovoRapid 1:4, Victoza 1.2, Lipitor, Inhibace, Remeron, Celexa
Mulitvitamin, Omega 3, Calcium/Magnesium, Vitamin C , Vitamin D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users