• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

baskar20

baskar20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,

Last night I ate a bowl of salad and 1.5 cups of milk without any sugar added. Two hours later my blood sugars was 166.

Is milk really that bad for diabetics? I like my milk. So I thougtht if I take milk with really low GI foods like salad, it should not hurt my blood sugar levels. But it went up.

Any suggestions as to still consume milk with minimal blood sugar rises will be highly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Baskar
Type 2
Diagnosed Feb 2007
Dr.Prescribed Avandamet. But not taking it.
Trying to Control with diet and little bit of exercise:(

Fish Oil capsules, multi vitamin, fenu greek and cinnamon.

Changed to low carb diet.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,180 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Milk does contain lactose, a natural sugar, so it can very well cause blood sugar to rise. I was never a big fan of milk, though I did enjoy chocolate milk on occasion before diagnosis. Hadn't had any since diagnosis until recently when a friend told me about "Hood Calorie Countdown" milk that comes in reduced fat, 2% and chocolate...way less carbs than in regular milk. I tried the chocolate milk and really liked it. I can't comment on the taste of the "regular," but here's a link with information about it in case you are interested:

Calorie Countdown

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

soso

soso

• Seniors
  • 1,599 posts
Milk does a number on my bg... a cup of milk is about 13g carb, so the average glass is probably double that.... I have to bolus for a med cappucino cos of the milk in it....
SoSo

Dx Sept 2004
A1c 5.5
MDI

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,290 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Milk is very hard on my blood sugar. If you are using non-fat milk, the sugar content is very high. If fat is removed, sugar is added to replace it. Try finding a low carb milk. There are several out there. Good luck!
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

otoxgal

otoxgal

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My daily skim milk and mucho half and half were difficult to give up. I only use cream now, which is not a great hardship. Plus, having bg #s I love is worth the pain!
Bridget
diagnosed 10/99
last A1c 5.4
Metformin/Glipizide
following Diabetes Solution
;)[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wDvWPAH/]
Posted Image

Gabby123

Gabby123

• Members
  • 214 posts
I think my skim has 12G of sugar in 8oz.I usually try to stay 6 to 8G of sugar or less in anything and lower if I can.

Gabby123

Gabby123

• Members
  • 214 posts
Where do you buy the Hoods milk? I have looked at Schnucks and Walmart and can't find it.They use to have Hood's orange juice I can find anymore also.

baskar20

baskar20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks much for all your inputs. I will try to find Hood's milk. I live in Atlanta. If any one is from Atlanta and have already found it in some stores, could you please let me know?

I will also look for it and if I find it, I will post the information here.

Thanks,

Baskar
Type 2
Diagnosed Feb 2007

MClark

MClark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi Baskar,
I can't have milk because it shoots my readings into the stratosphere. I have unsweetened soy milk- Silk brand and it tastes fine and doesn't make my blood sugars go crazy.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Mylene
MClark

Diagnosed 7/25/07; a1c 11.2:(
11/26/07; a1c 6.2 ;)
03/15/08; a1c 5.9:D
03/23/09; a1c 7.0 :eek:
09/30/09; a1c 6.6 :)
05/12/10: a1c 6.6 :cool:
05/12: a1c 8.9 :mad:
Metformin 1000, twice a day
Fallen off the LC diet wagon
Need to get cracking on the exercise

"Be the change you wish to see in the world". :elefant:

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,180 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Where do you buy the Hoods milk? I have looked at Schnucks and Walmart and can't find it.They use to have Hood's orange juice I can find anymore also.

Our Super Walmart here in town has it...so do the local grocers...perhaps you could speak with a manager at one of your local stores and see if they would consider adding it...I know some of the smaller grocery stores in our area will order for customers that patronize their stores regularly.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

baskar20

baskar20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks Princess Linda. I will check it here.
Type 2
Diagnosed Feb 2007

peacelover

peacelover

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I just found the "Hood Calorie Countdown" fat free milk and was soooo happy. I loved my milk and was bummed that it was so full of sugar. I find it at our Wegman's but I think that is a regional store in the New York area. Here is a list of stores that carry it:

[url=http://www.hphood.com/products/prodLocations.aspx]Product Locations[/url]

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• Seniors
  • 1,465 posts
I notice on the linked Hoods website they refer to the Calorie Countdown products (3 grams carbohydrate per serving!) not as "milk" but as "dairy beverage." Being both fat reduced and carb reduced, what is left? The protein only? Then how do they make it have any appearance or mouth feel of milk? Do they add "whiteners" and thickeners? And then because milk does have a little sweet taste are they reproducing that with artificial sweeteners? I'd love it if someone could tell us what the ingredients list says. I looked on the website, but could not find it.

I'm thinking this stuff is basically whey + non-fat coffee whitener + maltose or aspartame. How far off am I?

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,180 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
The Hood chocolate milk I drink is made from 2% milk and sweetened with splenda. It has the "mouth-feel" of the regular chocolate milk I enjoyed pre-D.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.

lisa821

lisa821

• Members
  • 245 posts
Wait...how big was the salad you ate? I've had my blood sugar pop up if I've eaten a big salad with lots of veggies in it. I remember reading a post on another site--a diabetic woman had had a vigorous swimming session before her lunch, and then ate a big salad which consisted of roughly a head of lettuce and veggies. Her blood sugar rose upward into the 200 range a couple of hours later, which didn't seem to make sense because of her exercise before the meal, plus what seemed like very few calories/carbs consumed. Many on the forum suspected the salad may have had something to do with the spike because if you eat lots and lots of something that has small to miniscule amounts of carb in it, the carbs will add up. Also, her blood sugars could have rollercoasted from a previously high reading earlier in the day.

If you suspect the problem is with the milk, maybe you could do a little test where you drink 1 1/2 cups of milk by itself after having a normal blood sugar reading, then test it two hours later to see what your blood sugar does. Good luck!

~Lisa
Type 1, diagnosed 1977 at age 13.
Pumper since 1999.
Currently use Animas 2020 pump/Novolog

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle. ~Plato

Richard157

Richard157

• Seniors
  • 1,407 posts
I was diagnosed when I was 6 and I lived on a small farm. We had two cows. I drank at least a quart of milk each day. I loved it. It was whole milk without sugar added. That was the 1940's and 1950's and the Health texts in elementary school stated that everyone shoul drink a quart of milk every day. Calcium bulids strong bones, blah, blah....I don't think that milk is considered an essential part of our daily requirements now. I am sure that it isn't. I never drink more than a third of a cup of milk on any day. Of course milk is used in preparing certain dishes, but not much is used. I know that the lactose in milk raises blood sugar levels just like sugar does. I avoid it as much as possible. I am going to look into this low carb milk sweetened with splenda though. My store carries Hood products. I love their cottage cheese.

Richard
Type 1 for 68 years, A1c = 6.1, pump with MM 523 Revel, I have good health.

You never know how Strong you are until being strong is the ONLY choice you have!

Larry H.

Larry H.

• Seniors
  • 789 posts
This reminds me of the "what do you hate" about this thread.. Darn now after watching things closely I thought this milk sneaks in with 12 grams of sugar a cup according to my bottle.. Well I use a very small cereal bowl (berry bowl), so most likely not more than half a cup, but still more than I expected. But those low fat no sugar puddings we like to push appear to be less desirable snacks than one would have thought. Not to mention all the other little places things call for milk..

gambi

gambi

• Members
  • 166 posts
I'm not a big milk drink or cereal w. milk eater. But occasionaly I like a Starbucks lattee - is soy milk better on the blood sugar? than say skim? I don't mind the taste of soy, just curisous.
Type 1 (MODY - maybe) April 2007
Mimi Med pump w/Apidra 10/24/07
CGMS - I would be lost with out it
Byetta 10mc - not typical for a type 1, but it's working!!!!
Metformin 1000 mg at night

Newly Wed 5/3/08

cgsmichelle

cgsmichelle

• Members
  • 185 posts
I drink 8 ozs of 1 % milk with 1/3 cup of almonds for breakfast about 5 days a week. It does not effect my BS. It does have 13 grams of carbs though. So like anything...if you eat any other carbs with that milk it can add up pretty fast. When we move back to the U.S. I will look for the Hood milk.
Coincidence is God's way of remaining annonymous!
My Last A1C was 5.7

Larry H.

Larry H.

• Seniors
  • 789 posts
Yesterday I found the Hood Plain and Chocolate milk at the local walmart so it must be pretty much a standard item, at least in the midwest. I was surprised to find when I tired it on my small bowl of cereal that it taste better than the skim milk I had been drinking. Almost like regular whole milk but without all the sugar and fat. Another feature is the label says you can use it in recipes like puddings and baking which I don't think things like soy milk can do? So now I can make the no sugar pudding mixes and not have to worry much about it.
I didn't just "drink" it on its own.. Don't know why I am a tasting chicken.. but the effect on the cereal was fine..I am sure the pudding or other desert options will be good as well. Thanks Linda for the Tip..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users