What time to take Lipitor

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Gabby123

Gabby123

• 500 plus
  • 214 posts
I have always taken my lipitor at dinner. I noticed on this new script it says take at bedtime. I go back to the Doctor next week so I will ask him. Anyone else take it at bedtime?

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,234 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
When I was on it, I took it at bedtime. I really don't know the reason why except you don't eat for a long period of time. Maybe someone else can enlighten you.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mg_2204

mg_2204

• 500 plus
  • 3,271 posts
I did ask that question to my doc a while ago. Apparently the body produces LDL (bad cholesterol) mostly at night. Taking Lipitor at bedtime is better.

MJB

MJB

• 500 plus
  • 606 posts
10mg at bedtime for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] :thrasher:

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts

I did ask that question to my doc a while ago. Apparently the body produces LDL (bad cholesterol) mostly at night. Taking Lipitor at bedtime is better.

This is what I have heard as well. Similarly, I have heard that bedtime is also the best time to take fish oil omega 3 supplements if one hopes to lower cholesterol with them.

valc3

valc3

• 500 plus
  • 3,169 posts
My Dr. told me it didn't matter when it was taken.
Val

Take care of your body. Where else are you going to live?

lgvincent

lgvincent

• 500 plus
  • 4,978 posts
I was told the statins work best if taken at bedtime.
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

wiseguy

wiseguy

• 500 plus
  • 639 posts
Mine also says "take at bedtime".

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
I now asked a pharmacist, who said, "In the evening. Bedtime."

beau91

beau91

• 500 plus
  • 556 posts
I used to take it in the morning,when the pharmacist change at the drugstore had a sticker on my prescription saying to take at bedtime.I went on the site Drugs .com here's what they say
How should you take Lipitor?
Lipitor should be taken once a day, with or without food. You can take it in the morning or the evening, but should hold to the same time each day. The drug generally begins working within 2 weeks.
And on the site of Lipitor they say:
For LIPITOR Users
You and your physician have chosen LIPITOR. You're in good company. LIPITOR has been prescribed to over 26 million people in the United States.1

LIPITOR is generally well tolerated. LIPITOR has few clinically significant drug-to-drug interactions. In controlled clinical studies of 2,502 patients, 98% of LIPITOR users did not have side effects that caused them to discontinue their treatment. LIPITOR can be taken any time ]of day. It can be taken with or without food.
Lipitor Official Site - For Lipitor Users
So has you can see there saying different thing,I 've been taking it at bedtime now .Follow the pharmacist instructions
Bye Ricky
Hi my name is Richard for short Ricky .I'm from Montreal Canada .Diabetic since 1993.

A diplomat is a man who always remembers a women birthday but never remembrs her age . Robert Frost[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sandmcd

sandmcd

• 500 plus
  • 122 posts
I take Lipitor in the morning. I was tending to forget it if I took it at night. Also, I like to have a glass of red wine in the evening and I rather not take any medicine after that. Just me, I guess!!!! The doctor did say evening though but I also checked the Lipitor site and it said that it didn't matter when it was taken.

R2112

R2112

• 500 plus
  • 181 posts
Another vote for 10mg at bedtime which my doctor told me was the best time.

The one thing I hate about Lipitor is not being able to eat grapefruit anymore :(
Dave

T2 Dx 2.22.2008
Now Pre Dx 4.1.2008 :)
A1C 5.6
No Meds (for now)
Low Carb Diet
Exercise (everyday)

art

art

• 500 plus
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
  • I am a:Type 2
Bedtime.
Both my Doc and Pharm told me to.
I always do what I'm told. (yeah, sure)

Art

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,188 posts
I don't take it myself, but checked with my Father and he was told to take it at night (bedtime).

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

vegasvic

vegasvic

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
At work I always tell people that it doesn't matter with lipitor when you take it but you should do it consistently. When Zocor first came out they (merck) suggested it should be taken at bedtime because it had the greatest effect on cholesterol production. The later statins are not like this.

vic

lewsterr

lewsterr

• 500 plus
  • 383 posts
I was taking it in the morning for several years, since I can never remember to take meds at night, and didn't see much improvement in my cholesterol. I then made an effort to follow the prescription label and doc's suggestion to take it at bedtime. Following this protocol improved my cholesterol levels significantly in just 6 months. It really does make a difference taking it at night before bed.

Posted Image

Metformin ER - 1000 mg 2x/day
Avapro - 75 mg/day
Lipitor - 40 mg/day
Aspirin 81 mg - 2x/day

ultrafine

ultrafine

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
My mother started taking lipitor a couple of days ago. She was told by a friend who also is talking lipitor to take it before bed time. Also what surprised my mother and I was that she cannot enjoy her favorite grapefruit anymore while taking lipitor. :(
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][FONT="Georgia"]Type 1 since the 80's.
Pump (Minimed Paradigm 522) started= April 14, 2008.
Basal Rate @ 0.90/Hr. using Novo Rapid. Testing with Bayer Contour Link.

April 2008= 7.5% (A1C before Pumping).

ruggerio

ruggerio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
While the evening administration of statins has become commonplace, several studies have evaluated the applicability of the above “conventional wisdom” to the newer, more potent, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors such as Atorvastatin and Rosuvastatin. These statins have significantly longer half-lives (14 and 19 hours, respectively) than their older counterparts, therefore calling into question the importance of morning versus evening administration. As might be expected based on their slower metabolism, studies have in fact demonstrated that the LDL-lowering efficacy of Atorvastatin and Rosuvastatin is independent of the time of day of drug administration. Similarly, the efficacy of extended-release Fluvastatin was also recently shown to be uninfluenced by the time of intake.:)

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 5,156 posts
  • Location95965
I think a partial copy & paste from the above post, with no link, does this subject an injustice.

Here is the full article: Class Act: Do Statins Always Have to Be Taken in the Evening?

"Class act is a feature of Clinical Correlations written by NYU 3rd and 4th year medical students. These posts focus on evidenced based answers to clinical questions related to patients seen by our students in the clinics or on the wards. Prior to publication, each commentary is thoroughly reviewed for content by a faculty member."

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 7,195 posts
When I was on statins I always took it before bed. After 18 months I had to stop because it destroyed all my muscles.

metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, fish oil, biotin, occuvite and zinc

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-4 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users