Photo

How many insulin shots do you take a day?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: How many insulin shots do you take a day? (142 member(s) have cast votes)

How many insulin shots do you take a day?

1. 1 a day. (14 votes [9.72%])

Percentage of vote: 9.72%

2. 2 (14 votes [9.72%])

Percentage of vote: 9.72%

3. 3 (8 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

4. 4 (46 votes [31.94%])

Percentage of vote: 31.94%

5. 5 (30 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

6. 6 (17 votes [11.81%])

Percentage of vote: 11.81%

7. 7 (4 votes [2.78%])

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

8. 8 or more insulin shots a day. (11 votes [7.64%])

Percentage of vote: 7.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,853 posts
Hi, My doctor has put me on four insulin shots a day. Three before meals and one at night before bedtime. What worries me is the real bad BG lows because I live alone and if I got into coma there is nobody to help me.

Thanks, Rob

Jill-O

Jill-O

• 500 plus
  • 1,656 posts
Hey, Rob --

I do the same as you. And, I know I worried a lot when I first started on insulin and then again when I changed from a premix to the 4x like you are now. Just keep an eye on yourself, test a lot, make sure you have glucose tablets around close (or some kind of soda / candy). Hopefully you'll do about like I did and get more and more at ease based on how you feel and your test numbers :)

Jill

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,853 posts
I'm thinking about going to another doctor at St Thomas Hospital in Nashville for a second opinion about my diabetes and with all these insulin shots. My doctor here in this small town must have aleast 10,000 patients.

Rob

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,114 posts
Your confidence will grow over time.

My critical times are middle of the night, late afternoon before supper, and the hour before lunch. I've had very bad experiences napping.

I can't guarantee your liver will always pull you out, but it does do a hellava job! I suggest you make your quarters as safe as you can: basically make it as drunk proof as possible. You're more likely to get injured stumbling around or convulsing than go into a coma.

Get an alarm with multiple settings. I use my cell phone. If I go to bed in doubt about my BGs or take a nap, I set multiple alarms to get me up at regular intervals to test, usually every two hours. It has saved my butt.

Go through a pre-bedtime routine to assess your likelyhood of going low. I can't give you any details, but make it a habit. Most of my bad ones were due to me making lame assumptions that if I thought hard about, I probably would have handled differently.

Learn your hypo symptoms. I'd even get someone to supervise me dropping low intentionally so I could experience them. Most of us have no need of this, but you don't have the luxury of family or partner support. If you are old like me, it won't help your sleeping hypos.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,853 posts
My doctor has told me this is one reason to be married. :D Living alone can have it's down side. What about a device called First Alert so I can wear a botton on my wrist for me to get for help when I need it. My diabetic aunt has this. Someone told me diabetic comas you cann't move and talk. Is this true?

Thanks, Rob

NoraWI

NoraWI

• 500 plus
  • 1,742 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin
  • I am a:Type 1
Quit worrying! You have a good doctor. Sounds like you are on an MDI regimen. The bad doctors put their patients on one or two shots of a mixed insulin each day. And that doesn't work!

Learn how to match your premeal bolus insulin shots to your premeal BG plus the carbs you are planning to eat. Your evening basal shot can be taken in the morning avoiding the worry of a middle-of-the-night low. And all through your initial adjustment period, test, test, test.
NoraWI
T1 since 2002, MDI since 2004
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts
When I was on MDI, I took 2 shots of ultra-lente morning & evening and as many humalog shots as meals or high bgs required - averaged 4 a day I'd guess.
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,763 posts
I voted based on when I used to take shots. It varied, but I took 2 basal a day and 3-5 based on what I was eating and correction.

Taking more shots a day actually LOWERS your risk of having bad hypos. Instead of relying on unreliable long acting insulin to peak when you need it to, you're taking very short acting insulin exactly when you need it.

Type 2s, even those on insulin, aren't at a high risk of having severe hypos. Testing a lot will help you avoid severe lows.

Yes, get a second opinion, it's a good idea. But I doubt the opinion will differ much. The way your doctor has you doing things is pretty standard.

JediSurfer

JediSurfer

Banned

• Banned
  • 793 posts
I take a minimum of 5 shots a day but this can increase depending on whats going down on that particular day. Other times if I'm not eating well I might only have three. So I suppose a minimum of 2 Lantus shots and the rest as and when needed.

grace girl

grace girl

• 500 plus
  • 1,500 posts
I chose 5...I take lantus 2x daily, and if I eat three times a day then I total 5...some days it's less, some more.
I understand your concerns, I felt the same way when I went to more than 2 shots a day. You gain confidence as you go. Don't be afraid to test OFTEN, for that's how you'll learn how it's all working for you.
And it's true, you are less prone to hypos with more shots. My life was a nightmare all the years I only took two...since I switched over to this method I've got the hypos down to 1 or 2 a week, sometimes less, and I generally know when it will happen.
~Holly~
Incorrectly dx'ed type 2 7/00 :eek:
Correctly dx'ed type 1 5/01
MDI
Lantus 2x daily & Humalog

owlyn

owlyn

• 500 plus
  • 1,475 posts
I didn't see a choice for "too many", or, "more than I'd like".
Posted Image
Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed here are my own and are in no way intended to be considered as anything other than my opinion. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,760 posts
I push my bolus button about 8 times a day, so do I get a vote? LOL

With that said, with modern insulin it's alot harder for you to suddenly drop for no reason. Lantus/Levemir has a pretty flat profile. If you are on Apidra/Humalog/Novolog then test right before bed and think on how long ago the last shot was of one of those. That will help to determine if you should drop lower overnight or not. If you think you might, set an alarm and wake up 2 hours later to test.

One key thing to remember with insulin is you should test EVERYTIME before you inject and then right before you go to bed. It's just a safety measure.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

Dewey

Dewey

Ex-Moderator

• 500 plus
  • 7,332 posts
When I was on multiple daily injections, I took as many as 6 per day. Is there a friend or someone you could have check on you from time to time? I also thought of those dogs that can sense lows, but not sure if that idea appeals to you or if you can have dogs where you live.

ALL my love, Carwy & Best wishes for many healthy years to come! :love:
Saying prayers for him & all our friends, every day.
_______
“There are people who have money and people who are rich." - Coco Chanel
______

Type I for 31 years (Since Jan of 1982)
'Pumping' for 17 years (Since Feb. 1996)
Pumps used: MM 506,7,8,11 & 512, 722
Cozmore 1700 & 1800, Animas IR 1200, 1250, Animas Ping

Meters Used:
Many

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,697 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
I generally have 5 sometimes 6 or 7 depending what's available to eat but the size of me tells to say no and to take insulin accordingly. :( But hey I have an affair with Levemir. :D

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,853 posts

Quit worrying! You have a good doctor. Sounds like you are on an MDI regimen. The bad doctors put their patients on one or two shots of a mixed insulin each day. And that doesn't work!

Learn how to match your premeal bolus insulin shots to your premeal BG plus the carbs you are planning to eat. Your evening basal shot can be taken in the morning avoiding the worry of a middle-of-the-night low. And all through your initial adjustment period, test, test, test.

What is a MDI regimen?

Rob

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,853 posts

When I was on multiple daily injections, I took as many as 6 per day. Is there a friend or someone you could have check on you from time to time? I also thought of those dogs that can sense lows, but not sure if that idea appeals to you or if you can have dogs where you live.

Hi, I have two dogs now that stay with me in the house.

Rob.

shabbie

shabbie

• 500 plus
  • 473 posts
rob, i felt scared just like you when i first started on mdi (multiple daily injections), i too live alone.

i just had to make sure that i manage my BG's in a sensible manner, eventually i learned what my insulins would do for me, after a while i relaxed into it.

you will learn that insulin is the best thing for managing your D, and it is long term, you just need to learn what you can about it...and take it easy on yourself ;)

EDIT: i forgot to mention that pre-pumping i would take up to 8 shots per day, wasnt sure if i qualify to vote of not though ;)
Sharon :)

owlyn

owlyn

• 500 plus
  • 1,475 posts
MDI = Multiple Daily Injections. If you are a Type 1, you should either be on MDI or a pump.
Posted Image
Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed here are my own and are in no way intended to be considered as anything other than my opinion. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Emm

Emm

• 500 plus
  • 803 posts
Rob, others have already said it really, but 4 shots or more means better control and you're LESS likely to have troubles with lows. Of course, when you first change you'll have to keep a close eye on things, but once you have your dosages sorted out it should be good for you.

Taking on diabetes one meal at a time.
.....and winning :)

Alice

Alice

• 500 plus
  • 1,587 posts
I checked (6) on MDI...some days as little as 4...some days more...depends on corrections, snacks and split boluses...which I do for dinner quite a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users