• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

DISCODIABETIC

DISCODIABETIC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi all,

I recently started on insulin and have found that i have gone from being the most irregular cycle to having the flood never stop

Is this NORMAL? or should I ask for a referral to a ob/gyn? and if it is normal why don't the endo's and diabetic nurses tell you so you can prepare yourself for it.

thanks.

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,125 posts
I don't have a clue :stupido3: But welcome! :D

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,135 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Welcome DD! Are you T1 or T2 diabetic? I'm T2, and when diagnosed, I had been having very irregular periods (2-3/year for several years ). I was started on metformin and got my blood sugars normalized, and starting having regular monthly cycles.

I think the insulin resistance can sometimes wreck havoc with our menstrual cycles.

Also, if you haven't been having regular periods, when you do start having them every month, you will notice an increase in volume for the first few months, due in part to NOT having had one for awhile.

If this problem continues, i'd check with my GYN, as there are many options for minimizing menstrual symptoms, and you'll want to rule out any potential gynecological problems that may have nothing to do with diabetes.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

DISCODIABETIC

DISCODIABETIC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks

type 2. pretty much i get the "visit" every 2 months, and its always light. but since i started the insulin, the tap won't shut off, and as for volume, I think Noah probably had less flooding to deal with.

So it sound like it is something that is normal and i should just have a check up to be on the safe side.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,135 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I think it would certainly ease your mind if you had a good gynecologic exam and can find out what options are available to minimize the discomfort you're experiencing. We "irregular" girls get spoiled, but it sounds like you are having a rough time. I'd be interested to hear what your doc has to say.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

DISCODIABETIC

DISCODIABETIC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
LOL, yup spoiled is right, but still longing for the day i hear that special word "menopause" come out of my medical team's mouth.

I was diagnosed just over two years ago, but my endo figures that I had gone undiagnosed for several years, He put me on Met, Amyrl and Avandia but it never controlled my sugars, so he pushed insulin and i said no to it for the longest time. now after a month on the stick, my average on my meter is 7.5 but i find i'm getting lots of different symptoms, like deep muscle aches in my legs and back and my hands and feet go "to sleep" way more than normal.

HollyB

HollyB

• Seniors
  • 641 posts
If you're creeping up to menopause, you might also be enjoying the delights of the perimenopause. For me, it's like it goes nova before winking out. Talk to your doc -- they can give you meds to make it more reasonable.
Holly
Mom to Aaron, 17, Type 1 Sept. 05

morrisma

morrisma

• Seniors
  • 2,253 posts
Not much to contribute on this as my gender might suggest, but I had a female type 2 friend years ago who swore her insulin needs varied dramatically relative to her cycle. Her endo swore she was nuts but I've heard since then that others share her experience. We never discussed flows thank goodness.

Welcome & good luck,
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

Emm

Emm

• Seniors
  • 803 posts

Her endo swore she was nuts but I've heard since then that others share her experience.

Really?! It's a well known thing. Any hormone changes in a body are likely to affect other hormones... Periods play with hormones, and insulin itself is a hormone. There's trouble!

Maybe some people don't notice it - I myself took a LONG time to click to the pattern! (highs for a week or more prior, and then lows hit with a wham as soon as the period starts).

DD: welcome to DF :) I didn't have what you're going through because I had menopause kick in a few years before I became a T1 diabetic. Menopause certainly does play with you for a while... but it takes a while to be sure it's peri menopause so just watch things and take note.

If you have ANY doubt about it, talk to your doctor - I'd hate for you to think it's nothing and then find out you could have prevented trouble if you'd seen the doctor earlier...

Taking on diabetes one meal at a time.
.....and winning :)

morrisma

morrisma

• Seniors
  • 2,253 posts

Really?! It's a well known thing. Any hormone changes in a body are likely to affect other hormones... Periods play with hormones, and insulin itself is a hormone. There's trouble!

Maybe some people don't notice it - I myself took a LONG time to click to the pattern! (highs for a week or more prior, and then lows hit with a wham as soon as the period starts).

Emm,
This was 20 years ago and she had to fight to get anyone to listen. As I recall, her endo was a top guy in the Wilmington area. I guess the gender mattered in this case.
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

sumansameer

sumansameer

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
impressive thanks for this
SumAN