Photo

What do you drink when you go out instead of alcohol?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Jodie

Jodie

• 500 plus
  • 113 posts
I have been type 1 since I was 5 and I turned 18 about 3 months ago and I will probably start going out drinking now that I am 18. I know that diabetics cant drink alcohol well hardly any :D When I went to parties all I drank was diet coke when I was young and its so boring I have accually stopped liking it as I have got older. Just woundering when you go out and you dont drink alcohol what do you drink instead? The only time I drink is probably at home when we are having a meal but I have like 1 glass of wine or something

mroverclocka

mroverclocka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Diet Coke, sugarfree red bull

Sometimes with vodka, but not too much

TroyS

TroyS

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
You can still drink but in moderation. Always check your b/s so you know what you can and can't drink. Low carb beers are not that bad and liquior with diet sodas (no Sugar) but should keep eye on BS, for the next morning and later in the night.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1-15-2007
Lantus pen 23u daily.
Humalog at meals.
Enalapril 10mg
1-7-2008 A1C 7.0
10-7-2007 A1C 6.5

EasyType2

EasyType2

• 500 plus
  • 543 posts
Iced tea or coffee.
I was born with nothing and I've still got most of it.

deb wardle

deb wardle

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi
I usually have a couple of lagers but alternate with water. At home we have red wine at the weekends and I alternate that with water also.

Deb
Deb Wardle
Type 1
Diagnosed April 2003
Oct 2006 1ac-13.9 (pre pump)

KCP

KCP

• 500 plus
  • 427 posts
I tend to drink vodka in a sugar free soda like vodka, diet lemonade, Lime and bitters (but only a little), perhaps diet cran with vodka, diet red bull and bacardi etc etc :)
I used to drink quite a bit but since i took control i have been more limiting in what and when i will drink. I always test beofre, during and after. If I am high after I will give a few unit of Rapid to bring me dwon and dont often have a problem with my sugars
T1 for 21 years, PCOS. split dose Lantus, NovoRapid & Metformin.
DP - IT extraordinare
Darling daughter arrived 15/09/12 :love:
DSS - Think your stressed? Try having AUTISM

Feb 10 = 7.1
Feb 11 = 7.3
Apr 11 = 7.6
Jul 11 = 7.3
Oct = 7.2
Jan 12 = 7.4
Apr 12 = 6.2
July 12 = 6
Oct 12 = 7

jjl570

jjl570

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Try cranberry juice and club soda. Most cranberry juice cocktail are about 35 gr. carbs but split 50% with club soda it is around 17 carbs and dose for it. I can't drink diet coke and pepsi all night, it just bothers me.

John

shiftzor

shiftzor

• 500 plus
  • 1,020 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
I find it really hard, water is one option for me. Sadly caffeine effects my bgs so that rules out diet coke, most drinks are either sugary or contain alcohol. Diet soda is an option (hate the stuff) or diet lemonade (not that they serve diet lemonade in most pubs/clubs). So ye I usually drink beer and try to keep it to less than 4 beers. I’ve had arguments before now about tap water with publicans, but what can you do? :D

Pumping 20/05/2009 Animas 2020

CGMS coming soon...

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,118 posts
Ummm, a case of beer, a quart of rum, a couple bottles of wine, not all the same night mind you. Getting plastered is doable, but there are things you should do. Eat plenty, cut basals way back, be with knowledgeable friends, and enjoy. Live with the high sugar for the night. It's your trade-off.

My practical limit is now two. I will do four occaisionally. I may consume six Superbowl Sunday over an extended period.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Alice

Alice

• 500 plus
  • 1,587 posts
I love a nice glass of wine. Or, diet coke...

There is a good section on the ADA (American Diabetes Assoc.) website that covers alcohol consumption and diabetes.

Basically, you need to have good control. Check/monitor numbers frequently. No history of kidney, liver or heart problems. Don't drink on empty stomach (true for all, right?)...

Avoid mixed drinkes that contain sugar such as margaritas, daqairi's (sp?) and such....

Stick to one, maybe two at most...you'll be fine. Just don't drink like a frat rat...you're ok.

CaptainMike

CaptainMike

• 500 plus
  • 290 posts
I used to drink coffee, but now, who knows??

jeanpaul

jeanpaul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
If you are looking for an alternative drink try XS energy drinks they are sugar free and come in 12 flavors.

susique333

susique333

• 500 plus
  • 343 posts
Im an Irish gal and a light weight drinker at that. Sometimes some sugarfree pop with a little something in it. LOL
The one thing to remember with you being a type 1 is that IF you got hypo while drinking, and people "thought" it was due to your drinking, it could mess things up. My Aunt wears a medical bracelet just for that reason, shes 80 and still likes her toddys. You sound like an smart, informed gal !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Posted Image

A1c 7.5 fall of 2012. 55 yr old. 3 diabetic pregnancies w/ insulin. :mad: Thankfully reverted back to 'non-diabetic' after all 3. Re-diagnosed 2007. FINALLY on Lantus and Humalog qwik pens. :T Mother to 9 boys and 5 girls. Grandmomma to 8.

Erin

Erin

• 500 plus
  • 837 posts
I usually drink beer or wine, but if I've had too many or I just don't feel like drinking I'll often order club soda with lime. (tonic has carbs, club doesn't). This i s 0 carbs and tastes good, and has the advantage that it "looks" like a drink, so me and the bartender are the only ones who have to know I'm not drinking.
That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.
- Dorothy Parker

T1 19 years
Minimed Paradigm 522... yay!

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts

I used to drink coffee, but now, who knows??

Aye, Captain, even coffee is getting a bad rap. Can't see ordering decaf though. Oh, well.

I have 1 or 2 really good, tasty beers or 1 glass of hearty red wine and take heart that I will always be the designated driver. I can enjoy a guinness for a long while:D
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

Chris Graham

Chris Graham

• 500 plus
  • 157 posts
Club soda with a lime. It looks like a cocktail so i don't feel like I stand out as much.

JediSurfer

JediSurfer

Banned

• Banned
  • 793 posts
Diet Ginger Ale

UpNorth

UpNorth

• 500 plus
  • 1,393 posts
I don't drink alcohol at all :D But on the odd occassion when i do go out with people who do drink alcohol, i stick to diet soda and water, or alcoholfree drinks- not always diet, but heck, it's not often i have them, and i just take some extra insulin for it... Doesn't cause any big problems :T
Posted Image

Type1 since october 2004.

MDI: Novorapid and Levemir with Novopen4

Main BG meter: Accu-Chek Compact Plus

zoltan

zoltan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey jody! Drink whatever you want.whose care.
Iam type 1 and always drinking hardly alcohol, vodka, wiskey,apsint,ou know just over 40% metil....:D
Unfortunately your sugar level never be the perfect.
You can not imitate that function of the organism what is
controlling your blood sugar normally.
So just drink, but watch out with hard drinks those can
take down your sugar, especially the vodka. Drink with orange
juice---> diabetic:)

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
Dry red wine - one nice glass is enough for me.

or usually decaf herbal teas (boring to most, but I love pretending my herbal teas are exotic specialty drinks!). Any place has hot water & I pack tea bags of my own.
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users