- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,105 posts
Hi,

I have been getting BG readings down steadily over past 9 weeks. This week I find that by the evening (6-7pm) I'm getting a reading of around 3.9mmol/L (70.2) which I believe is pretty good. I will have eaten a small breakfast and a lunch of a mug of soup and 2 small slices of wholemeal bread. Postprandial I'm staying below 110, so that seems to be okay too.

Before this week, the lowest reading I got was 4.4mmol/L (79.2), so I wondering at what point (reading) would a reading be considered to be low?

I'm taking 500mg Met (twice a day) and not using insulin, so as far as I know hypos should not be an issue for me(right?), just curious how low is low?

Thanks
Posted Image

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 14u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.
Most recent A1c 20/11/13: 11.6% <= back where I started

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,813 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Its my understanding that anything under 70 is considered low. Sounds like you are doing well. When you get a reading of 70, you may want to eat a few nuts or a slice of cheese or something, esp. if you're expending a lot of energy. The only times i've ever went low on the metformin was when I didn't eat regularly and over-exercised. You're not likely to drop really low, but if you're like me, you can tell when you're in the 70's.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

EasyType2

EasyType2

• 500 plus
  • 543 posts
Dave, I think that what is "low" depends on the person. I'm T 2, and anything below 50 for me is cause for near panic.

OTOH, I have an aunt also T 2, and she frequently drops to mid-30s with no ill effects.

I believe you need to keep a log of your readings, and watch yourself until you learn what "low" means to you.
I was born with nothing and I've still got most of it.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,813 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
Also Dave, sometimes you'll feel a low at different #s depending on what you've been running. I remember at diagnosis, I felt "off" when I got down to 100 after being in the 200's for awhile.

The good thing is you can eat something and it will come up pretty quick on the metformin. I'm not sure it comes up as easy on insulin.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,105 posts

Dave, I think that what is "low" depends on the person. I'm T 2, and anything below 50 for me is cause for near panic.

OTOH, I have an aunt also T 2, and she frequently drops to mid-30s with no ill effects.

I believe you need to keep a log of your readings, and watch yourself until you learn what "low" means to you.

Thanks for that. I am logging my readings. I'm a T2 also and this week I feel that I'm "noticing" when I go from about 79 to 72. Hard to explain the feeling, maybe very slightly light headed/slight chill, gee I really can't put it into words, I just kinda know ;)
Posted Image

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 14u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.
Most recent A1c 20/11/13: 11.6% <= back where I started

EasyType2

EasyType2

• 500 plus
  • 543 posts
I've also noted that we each seem to react to going hypo in a different way. The first indication I get is a slight tremble in my fingers. One D friend gets emotional. Another gets upset and angry for no cause. When the finger tremble starts, I've learned I have about 10 min to eat something, or I quickly reach the point that I cannot walk or stand up. For me, when I reach the 60 level, it's like going over a cliff. The fall is dramatic.

I really really hate going hypo.
I was born with nothing and I've still got most of it.

HollyB

HollyB

• 500 plus
  • 641 posts
We were told anything under 4 is low, so we treat 3.9 in my son as a mild low -- not a panic, but not a place to stay hanging around either. If it's before a meal, he'll just go ahead and have dinner. But if it's going to be a long wait, he'll eat a little something.

I have read though that you're not "technically" low until 3.3. The problem for me with waiting that long is it's a short jump from 3.3 to too low to function properly.

Sounds like your numbers are looking really good!
Holly
Mom to Aaron, 17, Type 1 Sept. 05

Alice

Alice

• 500 plus
  • 1,587 posts
I like 70's when that's the bottom of my drop...it's when you are still dropping that 70 becomes a warning sign...and you really can't tell when you are hitting the bottom number. So, I usually pop a 4 gram of glucose tab at 70...just to keep my head above water.

Ronman

Ronman

• 500 plus
  • 110 posts
I've hit the low 40's on several occasions and boy do I feel rotten! Seems to come on very suddenly too so I don't really have any advance warning. I find myself in a cold sweat, very cold feet, and mild (to mass) confusion. Not a good feeling.

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,108 posts
They tell us that anything in the 3's is low, but in reality it's more like 3.5. I don't treat unless I'm 3.5 or less, but at 4.5 I go into high alert and monitor closely. I would treat 4.0 as the same if I were you, but that's me. I am a bad hypo-offender, so take that for what it's worth ;)
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Kim_in_TN

Kim_in_TN

• 500 plus
  • 766 posts
I tend to start feeling weak when I get down to 100. However, I have been as low as in the 70's or 80's and get very shaky all over and feel just awful. I usually just get a quick drink of a sugary soda or eat something and I'm fine within 30 minutes.
Type 2 - Dx 9/11/03 - A1c 8.3
2/01/08 - A1c 6.3
4/01/08 - A1c 5.9 :)
10/07/08 - A1c 5.4 :)
2/16/09 - A1c 6.4
2/04/10 - A1c 6.7 :(
8/26/11 - A1c 7.0 :( - Falling off the wagon!
12/02/11 - A1c 6.2

Started Insulin 12.12.2011
Novolog - lunch and supper;
Levemir - bedtime.
Benazepril - 10 mg.
Crestor - 10 mg.
Citalopram - 40 mg.
Aspirin - 81 mg.

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,757 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
To me anything under 80 is low. I'll even treat an 80 and bring it up to 100 just to stay on the safe side.
●Blue Ash, Ohio Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

UpNorth

UpNorth

• 500 plus
  • 1,393 posts
I start to feel low when i'm around 3.5, but the real hypo hits at 3.2 for me normally... But sometimes i feel totally hypo at 4, sometimes i feel totally fine at 1.5:confused:
Posted Image

Type1 since october 2004.

MDI: Novorapid and Levemir with Novopen4

Main BG meter: Accu-Chek Compact Plus

Signmom99

Signmom99

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

The only times i've ever went low on the metformin was when I didn't eat regularly and over-exercised. You're not likely to drop really low.

Does this mean that in your experience when taking metformin that your bg does not drop down as low? I now take 500mg twice daily and am finding that when I follow 30g carbs or less per day that I can reach near perfect numbers mid 70's to low 80's. However, when I up the carbs a little, eat fried foods, or snack between meals that my bg goes up.

Next question is how stable should we keep the glucose numbers? 70-100 is quite a range for fasting and "under 140" is not very difinitive for after meals.

I understand that everyone is different, but golly gee whiz !!!!

Newly diagnosed from insulin resistant to T2 & frustrated trying to learn!!!!!

Sharon

jimhodges

jimhodges

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Of course everybody is different and reacts differently. When I used to stay out of control (200+) and dropped down to 150 I felt rough and shaky. After I cleaned up my act and got under control I feel good but "different" to about 70. I have been down as low as 50 and feel awful. I have found it is much better for me not to go low and eat to get back up. It seems that I just roller coaster up. When I feel myself going down I try to eat just a little to head it off. Regular light snacks work the best for me if I watch my portions.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,813 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Does this mean that in your experience when taking metformin that your bg does not drop down as low? Sharon

Sharon, i'm no longer on metformin, but when my doc started me on it, he told me it wouldn't do a lot to lower my blood sugar, that I'D have to be the one to do that with exercise and a good diet...he said the metformin would just cause me to better use the insulin i'm making and give my poor pancreas a rest. Like you, in order to keep decent #s, I have to watch the carbs.

With insulin resistance, we don't use the insulin we are making properly, therefore we make LOTS of it. This helps conserve it. Some of the other classes of meds (such as the sulfonylureas) can cause quite a drop in blood sugars at times.

As for ranges, they are just that...a range. I find it interesting to check my husband, who's not a diabetic, and see the difference in his levels and mine after similar meals...its quite an eyeopener. He starts and ends lower than I do, even if we are both in the "normal" range.

Personally, I try and keep my post meals in the 110-120 range, which sometimes difficult. My fastings are rarely 110 or less, usually averaging between 113-116. I find the earlier I eat in the evenings, the lower the next morning fasting.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,763 posts
I treat under 75.

artlizard

artlizard

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
My doc warned me that anything below 70 was "low", but not to worry unless it affected me. I hit 44 last night and felt drunk, confused and had the worse case of shakes. 20 grams of simple carbs fixed me right up.
Diagnosed 2006 :( ... Put on meds Dec 07 :mad: ... accepted it Jan 08 :o

Metformin 2000 mg (1000MG x2daily)
Glipizide 5mg (10 mg if needed)
Simvastatin 20 mg
asprin 81 mg

Tazmara

Tazmara

• 500 plus
  • 136 posts
My doc said that I could go as low as 54, but find that I get very cold, nausiated, light headed and confused around 65. For me though, it could be because I am not used to going so low. My body has been more used to being around 126, so I just may need to allow time for it to adjust.

:ciao: Have a wonderful day/evening!! :wavey:
:love: Tazmara
:hypocrite Always remember...
Everyone is entitled to their opinion...
no matter how wrong they are!!
:T

Smiles and waves ~ Tamara :ciao:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users