Photo

Ice Cream!!

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Signmom99

Signmom99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
What do you all do when the Ice Cream Attack occurs? Or am I just plain wierd.....

In the evenings after dinner has passed and things quiet down, ice cream is so comforting and yummie too. I discovered about a year ago, dryers brand of Dolce le Lece (sp?). It is so wonderful.....mmm. Probably why i was upgraded to t2 instead of insulin resistent!! Anyway, the problem is that I can't have just a little, I can have a little now and a little later, and pretty soon I've eaten the whole container.

So.....was wondering if anyone has found any ice cream that is friendly to BG's? Tried the Low-carb ice cream bars but they sent my bg's up more than I would have liked.

What do you guys snack on, for those of you with a huge sweet tooth like mine.

Sharon

wiseguy

wiseguy

• Seniors
  • 639 posts
Breyers CarbSmart ice cream. Only 4 net carbs per serving (1/2 cup). I love the Butter Pecan with a little Carey's sugar free maple syrup.

Alice

Alice

• Seniors
  • 1,587 posts
I'm Type 1, so I bolus...but I do like the "Skinny Cow" brand of ice cream sandwiches...pretty decent on the calorie count which I watch as much as carbs. Plus, they don't have that chalky taste that some of the low-fats have...

I like the peanut-butter/choc flavor. It's been a while since I've purchased...they keep very well in freezer in a nice, clear container.

Weight Watchers has pretty good ice cream sandwiches.

(I think I'm more of an ice cream sandwich person...)

Keezheekoni

Keezheekoni

• Seniors
  • 3,107 posts
It's too darn cold here for ice cream, so I don't get the craving for it much at all. In the summer, I'll do like Alice and get the Skinny Cow brand, or WW brand. I really like their Hot Fudge Brownie Sundae. :)
Posted Image
Rikki @--'--,--'--
Diagnosed in 1989
A1c Really bad I'm not telling til it's better! - Apr 2010

Pumping with my Medtronic 722
Every time you Can Has, God kills a LOLcat.

My Blog

Posted ImagePosted Image

Evermont

Evermont

• Seniors
  • 3,373 posts
Hi, my name is Keith, and love ice cream.

My family started getting a little carried away with ice cream many years ago, so we decided to do this; Monthly we each get a pint of Ben and Jerrys of our own. Well, T2, losing weight... I switched to Ben and Jerry's Lowfat frozen yogurt. The Cherry Garcia is quite a bit like the ice cream but 1/4 the calories and fat. Way good.

I make my own dove bar ice cream. Follow the instructions for chocolate ice cream but use double the amount of chocolate substituting dove bars melted in a double boiler for that bakers chocolate carp. Uber way good.

Hmmm, I think I'll try and work up a good soy maple raw walnut recipe...

susique333

susique333

• Members
  • 343 posts
I cant claim this recipe but I have made it in the summer with the kids and it really is yummy and low carb!

Here is an ice cream recipe that is a little strange sounding...But the ice cream is really good. Wear gloves when shaking or your hands may freeze!

1 3/4 cup heavy cream, or half and half
1/3 cup Splenda
1 tsp. vanilla.

We put the cream, splenda and vanilla in a zip lock bag... (quart size). Then we put that bag into a 1 gallon size zip lock bag and fill it with 2 cups of ice and a good sprinkle of rock salt.

Then you shake it or knead it on a table for 10 minutes...(by hand) The ice cream is great tasting, you get some exercise, and the kids love doing it. Rinse off inner bag w/ cold water before serving.

It makes about 2 cups ice cream, I divide that into 4 servings at about 5 carbs each.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Posted Image

A1c 7.5 fall of 2012. 55 yr old. 3 diabetic pregnancies w/ insulin. :mad: Thankfully reverted back to 'non-diabetic' after all 3. Re-diagnosed 2007. FINALLY on Lantus and Humalog qwik pens. :T Mother to 9 boys and 5 girls. Grandmomma to 8.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,401 posts

Breyers CarbSmart ice cream. Only 4 net carbs per serving (1/2 cup). I love the Butter Pecan with a little Carey's sugar free maple syrup.

I love Breyers CarbSmart..esp. the chocolate with s/f syrup and pecans on top. I also like s/f banana popsicles.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

morrisma

morrisma

• Seniors
  • 2,253 posts
I'm going to get smacked for this sacrilege but I've switched to non-fat greek yogurt (5g of carbs per serving) and doctor it depending on my mood:

flavored splenda
cocoa powder
seasonal berries
imagination

Very good and filling. The greek yogurt is very thick and comes closer to ice cream in consistency than others.
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

Signmom99

Signmom99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
WOW! Lots-o-great ideas. Where the heck have I been eating the last 20 years! I am going to try some of these, they sound absolutely yummie.

Thanks everyone.

Alice

Alice

• Seniors
  • 1,587 posts
Morrisma...is it the Fage brand of greek yogurt? If so, I love it too! It's very creamy...takes a while to get used to it after eating the regular yogurts...I have it for lunch with fruit and milk in a blender sometimes. (smoothy)

morrisma

morrisma

• Seniors
  • 2,253 posts

Morrisma...is it the Fage brand of greek yogurt? If so, I love it too! It's very creamy...takes a while to get used to it after eating the regular yogurts...I have it for lunch with fruit and milk in a blender sometimes. (smoothy)

Alice,
Not sure of the brand. Been eating it so long, I don't look at the label anymore.:T I get it at Trader Joe's where it comes in 2% and 0%. I have seen it elsewhere but that's where we get it reliably.
It is especially good with fresh or frozen berries and a little splenda. Very thick and fills me up especially after a gym workout when I'm too tired to cook!
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,396 posts
Blue Bunny vanilla is the best. I had it one night at a very nice restaurant. The very observant waiter noticed my using my pump and discreetly asked me if I would like ice cream for dessert. I tried the ice cream and asked him later what kind it was. VERY GOOD.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg
5a8d0d02d50b2731ee63eab231cbcc6a_zpslwwg
Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Stumpkins

Stumpkins

• Members
  • 232 posts
The WW Chocolate Chip cookie dough is delicious!
Stumpkins:itsme: