- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Signmom99

Signmom99

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
What do you all do when the Ice Cream Attack occurs? Or am I just plain wierd.....

In the evenings after dinner has passed and things quiet down, ice cream is so comforting and yummie too. I discovered about a year ago, dryers brand of Dolce le Lece (sp?). It is so wonderful.....mmm. Probably why i was upgraded to t2 instead of insulin resistent!! Anyway, the problem is that I can't have just a little, I can have a little now and a little later, and pretty soon I've eaten the whole container.

So.....was wondering if anyone has found any ice cream that is friendly to BG's? Tried the Low-carb ice cream bars but they sent my bg's up more than I would have liked.

What do you guys snack on, for those of you with a huge sweet tooth like mine.

Sharon

wiseguy

wiseguy

• 500 plus
  • 639 posts
Breyers CarbSmart ice cream. Only 4 net carbs per serving (1/2 cup). I love the Butter Pecan with a little Carey's sugar free maple syrup.

Alice

Alice

• 500 plus
  • 1,587 posts
I'm Type 1, so I bolus...but I do like the "Skinny Cow" brand of ice cream sandwiches...pretty decent on the calorie count which I watch as much as carbs. Plus, they don't have that chalky taste that some of the low-fats have...

I like the peanut-butter/choc flavor. It's been a while since I've purchased...they keep very well in freezer in a nice, clear container.

Weight Watchers has pretty good ice cream sandwiches.

(I think I'm more of an ice cream sandwich person...)

Keezheekoni

Keezheekoni

• 500 plus
  • 3,107 posts
It's too darn cold here for ice cream, so I don't get the craving for it much at all. In the summer, I'll do like Alice and get the Skinny Cow brand, or WW brand. I really like their Hot Fudge Brownie Sundae. :)
Posted Image
Rikki @--'--,--'--
Diagnosed in 1989
A1c Really bad I'm not telling til it's better! - Apr 2010

Pumping with my Medtronic 722
Every time you Can Has, God kills a LOLcat.

My Blog

Posted ImagePosted Image

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts
Hi, my name is Keith, and love ice cream.

My family started getting a little carried away with ice cream many years ago, so we decided to do this; Monthly we each get a pint of Ben and Jerrys of our own. Well, T2, losing weight... I switched to Ben and Jerry's Lowfat frozen yogurt. The Cherry Garcia is quite a bit like the ice cream but 1/4 the calories and fat. Way good.

I make my own dove bar ice cream. Follow the instructions for chocolate ice cream but use double the amount of chocolate substituting dove bars melted in a double boiler for that bakers chocolate carp. Uber way good.

Hmmm, I think I'll try and work up a good soy maple raw walnut recipe...

susique333

susique333

• 500 plus
  • 343 posts
I cant claim this recipe but I have made it in the summer with the kids and it really is yummy and low carb!

Here is an ice cream recipe that is a little strange sounding...But the ice cream is really good. Wear gloves when shaking or your hands may freeze!

1 3/4 cup heavy cream, or half and half
1/3 cup Splenda
1 tsp. vanilla.

We put the cream, splenda and vanilla in a zip lock bag... (quart size). Then we put that bag into a 1 gallon size zip lock bag and fill it with 2 cups of ice and a good sprinkle of rock salt.

Then you shake it or knead it on a table for 10 minutes...(by hand) The ice cream is great tasting, you get some exercise, and the kids love doing it. Rinse off inner bag w/ cold water before serving.

It makes about 2 cups ice cream, I divide that into 4 servings at about 5 carbs each.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Posted Image

A1c 7.5 fall of 2012. 55 yr old. 3 diabetic pregnancies w/ insulin. :mad: Thankfully reverted back to 'non-diabetic' after all 3. Re-diagnosed 2007. FINALLY on Lantus and Humalog qwik pens. :T Mother to 9 boys and 5 girls. Grandmomma to 8.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,982 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2

Breyers CarbSmart ice cream. Only 4 net carbs per serving (1/2 cup). I love the Butter Pecan with a little Carey's sugar free maple syrup.

I love Breyers CarbSmart..esp. the chocolate with s/f syrup and pecans on top. I also like s/f banana popsicles.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts
I'm going to get smacked for this sacrilege but I've switched to non-fat greek yogurt (5g of carbs per serving) and doctor it depending on my mood:

flavored splenda
cocoa powder
seasonal berries
imagination

Very good and filling. The greek yogurt is very thick and comes closer to ice cream in consistency than others.
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

Signmom99

Signmom99

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
WOW! Lots-o-great ideas. Where the heck have I been eating the last 20 years! I am going to try some of these, they sound absolutely yummie.

Thanks everyone.

Alice

Alice

• 500 plus
  • 1,587 posts
Morrisma...is it the Fage brand of greek yogurt? If so, I love it too! It's very creamy...takes a while to get used to it after eating the regular yogurts...I have it for lunch with fruit and milk in a blender sometimes. (smoothy)

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts

Morrisma...is it the Fage brand of greek yogurt? If so, I love it too! It's very creamy...takes a while to get used to it after eating the regular yogurts...I have it for lunch with fruit and milk in a blender sometimes. (smoothy)

Alice,
Not sure of the brand. Been eating it so long, I don't look at the label anymore.:T I get it at Trader Joe's where it comes in 2% and 0%. I have seen it elsewhere but that's where we get it reliably.
It is especially good with fresh or frozen berries and a little splenda. Very thick and fills me up especially after a gym workout when I'm too tired to cook!
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,176 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Blue Bunny vanilla is the best. I had it one night at a very nice restaurant. The very observant waiter noticed my using my pump and discreetly asked me if I would like ice cream for dessert. I tried the ice cream and asked him later what kind it was. VERY GOOD.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Stumpkins

Stumpkins

• 500 plus
  • 232 posts
The WW Chocolate Chip cookie dough is delicious!
Stumpkins:itsme:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users