- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

MarieD

MarieD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
For the last few days I've been suffering from really itchy lower legs. They start itching early evening and then by next morning I'm fine. Last night was the worst - I woke up during the night and itch itch itch followed by scratch scratch scratch which meant sore legs and not much sleep. I've been having a look round on the internet and found that it could be linked to my diabetes. Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone else suffered from this?

Penny

Penny

• Seniors
  • 6,653 posts
I had this problem with my feet and toes itching. I know it doesn't make sense, but when I took a couple of aspirin and it quit itching. So I tried this several nights in a row. The itching stopped altogether. Every so often, the itching starts back up and a couple of aspirin for a few days fixed the problem. I have stomach problems that aspirin might cause to get worse, so I try to always take the aspirin with my bedtime snack.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

MarieD

MarieD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks - worth a try especially if it means I get a good night's sleep :)

susique333

susique333

• Members
  • 343 posts
My grandmother was an Insulin dependent diabetic type 2 and her neuropathy in her feet was initally was more tingly/itchy. Might be a good idea to check with your Dr. to see if its nerve related?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Posted Image

A1c 7.5 fall of 2012. 55 yr old. 3 diabetic pregnancies w/ insulin. :mad: Thankfully reverted back to 'non-diabetic' after all 3. Re-diagnosed 2007. FINALLY on Lantus and Humalog qwik pens. :T Mother to 9 boys and 5 girls. Grandmomma to 8.

Penny

Penny

• Seniors
  • 6,653 posts
My doctor doesn't seem concerned about my feet as long as they are not swollen or have sores on them. I tell them how much they hurt, and he just says he can "send me to a foot guy", if I really want to go. I get the feeling that he thinks it is a waste of time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

Jill-O

Jill-O

• Seniors
  • 1,656 posts
Is it like dry skin itchy?

If so, maybe try goats milk soap (canus brand is great -- can get it at some stores and from Amazon w/ free shipping).

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

nicole

nicole

Banned

• Banned
  • 308 posts
MarieD,
as a matter of fact I have. It happened to me because my blood sugar was high. have you checked your blood sugar when this happens? If not you might want to consider it.
NICOLE

With the most amazing people in your life, anythings possible.

MarieD

MarieD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Well yet another night of itchy legs.
Yeah I've cheked by blood during the night and it was ok at 6.3. My skin doesn't feel dry either but I have been putting on lots of mosturiser just in case thats what it is. May give the asprin a try tonight because I could do with a good nights sleep before work tomorrow.

markr

markr

• Members
  • 190 posts
I recently went through a bad time similar to what you describe. I found out I had a problem with my thyroid and was treated for it. The itching went away. If you have not had a blood test for your thyroid, I would go ahead and have one done.
"No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world." - Robin Williams

kgm0612

kgm0612

• Seniors
  • 7,672 posts
I had that problem prior to being dx'd. Once I got my blood sugars in normal range, the itching went away. I was (and still do) using Gold Bond Medicated Lotion.

Karen

tyrram

tyrram

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it sounds like neuropathy and elivil also known as amitriptyline was the cure for me i had it for years and really bad and amitriptyline was a god sent

loganwc

loganwc

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
My Mom suffered from dry, itchy legs due to diabetes. We tried everything - and then we found POL Cream. It has been a Godsend. We buy it online and I saw they have free samples. Cooperlabs in Ventura, CA. Nice people, too.

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,171 posts
My doc prescribed Lac-Hydrin for the dry skin on my legs last year. My legs did not itch and it works great as long as I use it. This summer it seemed to make me feel hotter so I stopped using it as regularly. On the other hand my legs did not get as cold when I put it on before going out to work last winter. Not everyone tolerates it well and it's only by prescription.

Jan28

Jan28

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I myself have not experienced this but my mother who is also diabetic has this same problem. She has a topical cream perscribed to her by her indocrenologist. It works for her. If you want I could find out the name of the sutff for you.

Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily

• Validating
  • 162 posts
i've had excellent luck with "Dermal Therapy" Cream, with it's varying levels of Urea for different parts of the body

it goes on smoothly, and doesn't leave a slimy or sticky film

pandeia

pandeia

• Members
  • 196 posts
i've had this problem a few times... I found that walking a mile or two or running a few miles gets my blood circulating in my legs, making the itch stop. Also, soaking your legs in warm water mixed with the juice of a plant called laukahi really helps... it's a hawaiian plant, but also grows in certain places in the mainland... some health-food stores might have it or maybe you could order it online... also if you take laukahi as a tea it helps too. here's a pic of what it looks like..

Posted Image
"Every blessing ignored becomes a curse."-Paulo Coelho

Cloudedbrains

Cloudedbrains

• Members
  • 210 posts
Yep I get this too

My DSN and endo both say that is down to sugar levels drying out the skin (even thought it doesnt look dry to the eye)

I sometimes use Diprobase emolient but I found a loverly cream called "St. Ives Whipped Silk Intense body lotion" this is a link to it:

Skin Care Products, Online Dermatologist, Skin Type Profiler, Naturally Fresh Newsletter : St. Ives
Cloudedbrains aka Donna

Dx'd: T2 - 6th August 2006
Newest hba1c: 5.5%
New hba1c: 5.1%
Last hba1c: 5.5%
Regime: levemir & novorapid

"If I listed all my medications here you would still be reading the list next yr lol"

RobiJo

RobiJo

• Seniors
  • 968 posts

MarieD,
as a matter of fact I have. It happened to me because my blood sugar was high. have you checked your blood sugar when this happens? If not you might want to consider it.

Might not be your bg at the time, but rather your overall numbers. How is your a1c? I had a bout of this when my a1c was at its highest. The itching nearly drove me crazy. Now that it's down the itching is non-existant.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 Est.1984
MM 722 and CGMS; Novalog
Vitrectomies May 2007 & July 2007
Had a Baby Girl 7/2010! She is perfect!

dodo

dodo

• Members
  • 193 posts
It happened to me too before and right after I was diagnosed! Just like Donna I tried the St.Ives Body Lotion and it helped. I also took baths with baking soda!
Good luck!

Dominique
Type 1

squidsdc

squidsdc

• Members
  • 106 posts

My doc prescribed Lac-Hydrin for the dry skin on my legs last year. My legs did not itch and it works great as long as I use it. This summer it seemed to make me feel hotter so I stopped using it as regularly. On the other hand my legs did not get as cold when I put it on before going out to work last winter. Not everyone tolerates it well and it's only by prescription.

I had been prescripbed Lac-Hydrin as well, but it was many years ago. I had heard it was now OTC, and sure enough our local Costco is carrying it. I tried using it again, but didn't find it worked that well for me. Just making sure I use something daily when I get out of the shower seems to help. Additionally I'll use Aquaphor if my regular Aveeno is not enough. (While it is technically OTC, it is located behind the Rx window, so you have to ask for it.)
Type 1, dx Memorial Day 1971, age 9
Animas PING!, DEXCOM CGM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users