- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

NickieAnn_25

NickieAnn_25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've been reading a lot of different post and I've noticed that some of you talk about your AIC levels. Being new to this, I'm not sure what it is. Could you please explain it to me? I know it has something to do with your blood testing. I'm not sure what mine are, but I would like to know.

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,085 posts
Glycosylated hemoglobin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

mho357

mho357

• 500 plus
  • 705 posts
NickieAnn,

It provides an indication of your average blood glucose level over the last few months. I think that there are differing opinions on the relationship between the a1c value and the average BG reading. If I remember correctly, an a1c over 7.0 is considered diabetic and 6.0 to 6.9 is "pre" diabetic.

Mark
Dx May 2007

A1C @ Dx = 7.0
9/15/07 = 5.1 (Biosafe home test kit)
10/9/07 = 5.4
1/18/08 = 5.4
6/11/08 = 5.3
11/4/08 = 5.6

Fortamet 500 mg

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts
You'll have trouble googling it if it's spelled wrong.

Technically, it's not AIC, it's A1c or "Ay-one-see". More specifically HbA1c. It's a blood test, ask your doctor to order one every three months.

alicat61

alicat61

• 500 plus
  • 1,241 posts
:) Hi NickieAnn
HbA1c is an average of your blood glucose levels from the last 6 weeks. That is done through one test. Most doctors like to do the test every 3 months to get a picture on how well controlled you are.
alicat61:)

owlyn

owlyn

• 500 plus
  • 1,460 posts

:) Hi NickieAnn
HbA1c is an average of your blood glucose levels from the last 6 weeks. That is done through one test. Most doctors like to do the test every 3 months to get a picture on how well controlled you are.
alicat61:)

It is an average over the last 3 months, not 6 weeks. That's why the test is done every three months. Red blood cells live about 3 months...
Posted Image
Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed here are my own and are in no way intended to be considered as anything other than my opinion. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,085 posts
It is the number one thing my doctors look at. When I was 7.5% everything I did was wrong. Now that I'm 6.0% they put me on a pedastal and tell me everything I do is right. In reality I've changed very little ;)
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

CrazyCat2

CrazyCat2

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi Everyone~I'm new here.

My A1c was 5.4%, which my doctor considered pre-diabetic. so...at this point, I'm watching it with diet.~

Or at least...I'm trying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users