• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Do they really go bad?

susique333

susique333

• 500 plus
  • 343 posts
I buy my strips off eBay (and some are expired) and I test them against a vile of new ones that I keep around. Have yet to find any expired strips that were off the mark. Walgreens usually has a "sale" basket and theyre sometimes in there at a reduced price. I think its a way for the manufactures to get folks to toss their lot and buy more. Google expired strips and its the manufatures that say toss em. Many diabetics continue to use them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Posted Image

A1c 7.5 fall of 2012. 55 yr old. 3 diabetic pregnancies w/ insulin. :mad: Thankfully reverted back to 'non-diabetic' after all 3. Re-diagnosed 2007. FINALLY on Lantus and Humalog qwik pens. :T Mother to 9 boys and 5 girls. Grandmomma to 8.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,197 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I have had strips actually say "EXPIRED" on my meter. I was glad it was the strip and not me.

Yes, they can go bad.
  • Forester likes this
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,762 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Expired strips do go bad. Usually though if they aren't too far past the expiration date they won't. THere's also one meter out there that when they do expire the meter won't accept the strips at all. That was brought up on here recently and I can't think of which meter it is, maybe someone else can chime in on that.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

doctordun

doctordun

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
I wonder how they can go bad. It appears they are just an electronic device. Do they have chemicals in them?

susique333

susique333

• 500 plus
  • 343 posts
Expiration Dates, Expiry Dates of Pharmaceuticals / Drugs / Information Xchange / StuartXchange.com

I use the Freestyle freedom and test my ebay strips (if theyre soon to or are expired) along side a new strip. Easy way to check. I too question what goes stale on a glucose strip. Read below where they say that Freestyle strips can last 1 1/2 yrs after opening. #9 in the list.

Blood Sugar Monitors - What You Need to Know
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Posted Image

A1c 7.5 fall of 2012. 55 yr old. 3 diabetic pregnancies w/ insulin. :mad: Thankfully reverted back to 'non-diabetic' after all 3. Re-diagnosed 2007. FINALLY on Lantus and Humalog qwik pens. :T Mother to 9 boys and 5 girls. Grandmomma to 8.

Holly

Holly

• 500 plus
  • 125 posts
A few years ago when my FIL was living with us - I was getting his readings at 2mmol. I wasn't seeing it in his behaviour. I made an appointment urgently with his geriatrician. His readings were really 18! The strips hadn't expired yet but only had about a month to go.

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
I wish you all would say what brand of strips you are talking about, whether good or bad.

Only once have I had a box of expired strips. They were One Touch strips backin the days when One Touch took a "long time" (What was that? One minute? Forty seconds?) to give a result. The results seemed to be reliable, though they were 1 year past the date.

If someone wanted to give me an expired box, I would cheerfully accept. :)
  • naesatt likes this

xanlexian

xanlexian

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
I get the exact same results (sometimes off by 2 or 3 mg/dL) with my almost 1 year expired UltraSmart strips verses my Ascensia Contour strips that expire sometime next year.

The UltraSmart strips (which expired in May 2007) seem to be accurate.

duck

duck

• 500 plus
  • 6,671 posts
I've used Freestyles that were a year old, and compared them with new Freestyles, and the variance was within the "acceptable range". Actually, if IIRC, the variance was negligible. So I don't freak out about "expired" Freestyles that are less than one year expired, at least.
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts
The only thing I assume that can go wrong with most strips is moisture. Most have some form of dying agent in the packaging which will eventually stop working. More so in hot humid climates than cool dry ones but...
I suppose if you saved all the drying packs that come with many shipped items these days and threw them in a plastic box where you keep strips, it could help them last longer.
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

w5wjp

w5wjp

• 500 plus
  • 769 posts
There are chemicals in the strips. Usually glucose oxidase or hexokinase. These are enzymes that will reduce glucose and with some other chemicals in the strip, either produce a color that is in proportion to the amount of glucose present or a small amount of electric current proportional to the amount of glucose. Since these chemicals are enzymes, they are highly specific to glucose, but they can be fooled. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) will give false results as well as some other common things. Some other medical conditions may also interfer. I can't remember which ones.

I was a senior medical lab tech for 20+ years in the Army and at Tacoma General Hospital.
  • Stl-T2 likes this
Posted Image
Cozmo 1800
Volcano Black
Pumping since Jan 4 2007
A1C: 7.0 on 7/28/08:top:

doctordun

doctordun

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
So now something new. I take vitamin C and Iron every day to combat anemia. If vitamin C can give false readings, I'm in trouble.

rj5620

rj5620

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Abbott Precision Xtra will not allow expired test strips, gives an error of E-6, change the date on the meter and they will work again.
  • naesatt likes this

rplace

rplace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have some freestyle test strips with an expiration date of 12/08 does this mean that they are good up to and including 12/31/08. I could not find this info on any manufacturers website.

jps

jps

• 500 plus
  • 1,105 posts
It's not like strips are fine on December 31st and then magically go bad on Jan 1st if the expiration is 12/2008 for example.

I wouldn't use anything that's more than a month expired though. Just QC the bottle and if the QC is fine, the strips should be fine.
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted Image

nfy

nfy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
What do you mean by QC? if this is quality check what kind of check do you recommend to make sure that expired strips are still good?

nfy:confused:

jps

jps

• 500 plus
  • 1,105 posts
Sorry about that, QC = Quality Control. The control solution in the little bottles, there should be a high, there should be a low. If you don't have any, it'll be tough to verify. Without much on hand, you could test a known "normal" person that hasn't eaten in a couple of hours to verify that it's reading in the general ballpark.

It'd be rough with household items. A drop of OJ should give you a reading of "Too High" or something analogous on your meter. Just like a drop of water should give you a "too low".

Posted Image

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 7,054 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I went on Amazon and the strips are much cheaper but exp date is within a few months. i have to figure out if it is worth saving $40. I guess I'll test next to a new strip. Does anyone know why those little strips are so expensive. i do thing it is a conspiracy. If we all tested more we could fight this disease better.
  • naesatt likes this

jps

jps

• 500 plus
  • 1,105 posts
It's all about the money jwags, no doubt about it. They make a ton of money from us being sick. That's the bottom line. The drug companies certainly don't want to find a "cure" or anything that might limit how much medicine we need, they certainly don't want us to test less often. And yes, I'm certain they could make test strips more affordable or with longer expiration dates. But it's all about money. And unfortunately, it will always be about money.

That's why people should look at things with a jaundiced eye. I believe people have to look at the motivation behind any "new findings" or "studies". Are these studies financed by a drug company?
  • naesatt and funkynassau like this

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users