- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

arzoo

arzoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I haven't had gelatin for a long time and I've seen a lot of sugar free jell-o. Does s/f jello-o increase bg?

And am I correct that the one we are speaking of is the Jell-o brand or are there others?

Also which of flavors of the s/f jell-o works, or do all work ok?

While we're at the dessert topic, which s/f ice cream works the best for bg?

Btw, one last thing I see a lot of sugar free products that have maltodextrin in the ingredients. I read somewhere that maltodextrin has high glycemic index, so do these increase bg?

Thanks

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
Hi Arzoo,

Carbs are more important than the word sugar-free. SF jello I believe has 0 or 1 carb and about 0 or 1 calorie -- it's very safe! Brand doesn't matter; labels do. SF pudding has carbs, then more carbs when you add milk (who wouldn't?). Pay close attention to the pudding label -- before and after preparing. When it comes to ice cream, cookies, etc. it's critical to look at the amount of carbs in each serving (and of course pay close attention to serving size), because the words sugar-free have very little meaning . . . and in my opinion are very deceptive for us diabetics. I take insulin for carbs, not "sugar". You, being a type 2, would need to test 2 hours after eating different foods to see how they affect your bg.

I noticed some (Voortman I believe) wafer cookies that say sugar-free and cost twice what the "regular" cookies cost. The SF had 15 carbs and the "regular" had 17 carbs. That stuff makes me want to scream!!

There is carb-control ice cream which has almost no carbs, but added fat. You would do well to become a serial label reader!
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

Jill-O

Jill-O

• 500 plus
  • 1,656 posts
Any flavor of sugar free jello will be fine.

For icecream, in reasonable amounts, that Edys No Sugar Added works good for me and tastes great!

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts
Ever wonder why they never came up with chocolate flavored gelatin? Aside from how weird it might look, I'd guess it would be a winner.
Hmm, where's that online suggestion box?
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

cadcon

cadcon

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
Arzoo,

I love the sugar free jello, any brand. Usually it has about
10 calories per serving. The only real difference I can see
between brands is the sodium. It can vary quite a bit.

Jim

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,813 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I've had no problems with s/f jello...I do think some flavors have less after taste than others...I perfer lime and cherry myself.

As for ice cream, I eat the s/f fudgsicles and popsicles as well as the Breyer's Carb Smart.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Mich

Mich

• 500 plus
  • 2,242 posts
A note on Sugar-Free vs Regular cookies, chocolate, etc.

It does make you want to yell when you see that there are nearly the same carbs in sugar-free things and regular things but here is the difference:

For some people (me included) the sugar-free things, depending on what they are sweetened with, don't cause a huge jump in my blood sugar. They seem to be absorbed more slowly, allowing me better control using a square-wave bolus. In pre pump days I could inject a small dose twice or three times to cover it and never go over 150.

The exception? Jan was right...White flour in the mix messes me up anyway. It works for pudding and chocolate though.

Sooo, sugar-free does serve a purpose for me, anyway.

JadeMonkey

JadeMonkey

• 500 plus
  • 133 posts

Ever wonder why they never came up with chocolate flavored gelatin? Aside from how weird it might look, I'd guess it would be a winner.
Hmm, where's that online suggestion box?
Mike

They probably did at some point. The Jell-O Museum and Gallery has a bunch of boxes and ads for flavors that didn't make it. Delicious things like celery Jell-O and pork Jell-O.

Yum!

-Jade
Diagnosed 11/16/2007 - Hospitalized with severe DKA.
11/16/2007 A1C - 12.8 :eek:
01/16/2008 A1C - 7.5 :)

Pumping with Minimed 722 and CGMS since 2/26/2008.

Previously used Novolog in Flexpen and Lantus in Solostar Pen.

xxkarenlxx

xxkarenlxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
We enjoy sugar free chocolate pudding and when I make it with the Calorie Countdown beverage it doesn't raise my bg at all.

xxkarenlxx

xxkarenlxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
We used SF gelatin even before my diagnosis. Everyone is my family likes it. For change of pace I sub diet lemon-lime cola for the cold water. It foams a bit when you mix it, but is a refreshing change after it sets.

Scrabblechick

Scrabblechick

• 500 plus
  • 1,084 posts
Jell-O also makes sugar-free pudding in pre-packaged portions, 6 oz. Each container has 60 calories and 14 g of carbs. I do not know how I would have survived the past couple of months without it!!:T

And Publix grocery store has a store brand of prepackaged sugar-free gelatin in cherry and black cherry flavors that is really, really tasty.
Glycemic impact diet; exercise (jujitsu, walking); Metformin 2000 mg;
Victoza, 1.2 mg per day; Enalapril 40 mg; Prevachol
A1C, 11-10: 5.2!:elefant:
A1C, 9-1-09: 5.3!!; A1C, 5-19-09: 5.1!; A1C, 2-12-09: 5.3!; A1C, 11-14-08: 5.2!; A1C, 8-7-08: 6.3; A1C, 5-1-08: 5.6; A1C, 2-5-08: 7.4

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
Walmart has a large package of the geatin cup much cheaper than the Jello cups. I like it because it has 4 varieties, I prefer the Banana/Strawberry and the black cherry. When I really want icecream, I just have the regular kind......I cannot see enough difference in the carbs to spend the extra money for sugarfree. I do not have it often, only when my numbers have been really good, so I choose something I really like.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

Lulika

Lulika

• 500 plus
  • 406 posts
I love the Jello-O sugar free jello, I couldn't get by without it!
Also Linda gave me a great tip, mix s/f miracle whip with s/f pudding and freeze it...instant fudgesicles! Really yummy and staves off cravings. They never affect my BG's :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]LULIKA

Life might not be the party we hoped for..but while we're here we might as well DANCE!! :D

Friends are like stars...you don't have to see them to know they're there :T

Remember...when you're down to nothing, God is up to something" :)

Diagnosed 3/3/08
Metformin 500x1

HbA1C 7/3/08 7.1

HbA1C 24/6/08 6.3

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,813 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2

Also Linda gave me a great tip, mix s/f miracle whip with s/f pudding and freeze it...instant fudgesicles! Really yummy and staves off cravings. They never affect my BG's :)

Around here, "Miracle Whip" is like mayonnaise....I suggested you mix "Kool-Whip" with it. Miracle whip and jello pudding....makes me shudder just thinking about it!:eek: :T

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

metafizik

metafizik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The dietitian at the hospital told me I could eat sugar free Jello "until the cows come home". I absolutely love the stuff. It is my favorite sweet(tasting) fix.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." (Voltaire)

"Though man a thinking being is defined, Few use the grand prerogative of mind. How few think justly of the thinking few! How many never think, who think they do!" (Jane Taylor)

:)
Dx: 3/5/08
Lantis 25U: AM
Humalog: sliding scale as needed

Lulika

Lulika

• 500 plus
  • 406 posts

Around here, "Miracle Whip" is like mayonnaise....I suggested you mix "Kool-Whip" with it. Miracle whip and jello pudding....makes me shudder just thinking about it!:eek: :T

Oh gosh, Linda, just the thought of that makes me feel ill! :eek: I DID mean Kool Whip :D
I do hope nobody actaully followed my reccomendation!:eek:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]LULIKA

Life might not be the party we hoped for..but while we're here we might as well DANCE!! :D

Diagnosed 3/3/08
Metformin 500x1

HbA1C 7/3/08 7.1

HbA1C 24/6/08 6.3

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
I blend cream cheese with sf jello (or sf store brand) and eat it every single night! Mix cream cheese with the hot cup of water (and powdered mix) w/a whisk, then melt in a cup of ice cubes (until it's about to gel.) Then when chilled, I add a little liquid whipping cream to the top, stir it in some, and enjoy my delicious treat - no insulin needed.
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

Lulika

Lulika

• 500 plus
  • 406 posts
Jan that sounds delicious!! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]LULIKA

Diagnosed 3/3/08
Metformin 500x1

HbA1C 7/3/08 7.1

HbA1C 24/6/08 6.3

Scrabblechick

Scrabblechick

• 500 plus
  • 1,084 posts
Good idea, Jan! I'll have to try that.
Glycemic impact diet; exercise (jujitsu, walking); Metformin 2000 mg;
Victoza, 1.2 mg per day; Enalapril 40 mg; Prevachol
A1C, 11-10: 5.2!:elefant:
A1C, 9-1-09: 5.3!!; A1C, 5-19-09: 5.1!; A1C, 2-12-09: 5.3!; A1C, 11-14-08: 5.2!; A1C, 8-7-08: 6.3; A1C, 5-1-08: 5.6; A1C, 2-5-08: 7.4

Sheralyn

Sheralyn

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
I practically live on that stuff and I think it's great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users