• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

KarenRB53

KarenRB53

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm so glad I found this site! I've been diagnosed with type 2
diabetes and put on Metformin. It gives me a lot of gas and diarrhea (sp). I thought I was supposed to take it just before breakfast and just before supper. What is the best way to take it, with food or without food? I was thinking of asking about the extended Metformin.

Thanks for any information,
Karen

Kim_in_TN

Kim_in_TN

• Seniors
  • 766 posts
Definitely take it WITH food to avoid stomach upset. I always make sure I've had several bites to get something on my stomach before actually swallowing the pill! ;)
Type 2 - Dx 9/11/03 - A1c 8.3
2/01/08 - A1c 6.3
4/01/08 - A1c 5.9 :)
10/07/08 - A1c 5.4 :)
2/16/09 - A1c 6.4
2/04/10 - A1c 6.7 :(
8/26/11 - A1c 7.0 :( - Falling off the wagon!
12/02/11 - A1c 6.2

Started Insulin 12.12.2011
Novolog - lunch and supper;
Levemir - bedtime.
Benazepril - 10 mg.
Crestor - 10 mg.
Citalopram - 40 mg.
Aspirin - 81 mg.

Emm

Emm

• Seniors
  • 803 posts
I agree with Kim - it's not good stuff on an empty stomach, especially when you're first starting out!

Taking on diabetes one meal at a time.
.....and winning :)

davef

davef

• Seniors
  • 8,218 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Karen,

I always eat something, even if it's a piece of cheese before taking my Metformin. I have had a couple of unpleasant evenings when I took my Metformin in advance of dinner, talk about a rumbling tummy, it sound like there was a war taking place in there! Haven't had the problem since I started making sure to eat first. I have to admit that I am one of the lucky people not to have any other adverse reactions to Metformin.

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

kgm0612

kgm0612

• Seniors
  • 7,672 posts
From one Karen to another......WELCOME!

Although I'm a type 1 pumper, I also take 500mg of Metformin twice a day. You're just starting out on it, so you're going to have a good month or so of stomach upset. When I was first dx'd 5 years ago, I always took the Metformin with my meal. I now take my morning dose with coffee as I'm leaving the house for work (7:20am) and eat breakfast (usually toast) at my desk between 8 and 8:30. I take my evening dose about 15 mins before dinner. Although this works for me, it may NOT work well for you.

Good Luck!

Karen

Real4

Real4

• Members
  • 459 posts

I'm so glad I found this site! I've been diagnosed with type 2
diabetes and put on Metformin.

Thanks for any information,
Karen

Metformin also functions more efficently in the body when taken with food. The package insert, if you look carefully, states that.

How much metformin are you taking? In how many doses?

jerryn

jerryn

• Seniors
  • 634 posts
Ah.. Metformin.. You need to take it with your meal.

And it takes a little while for your body to get used to it.

Sometimes it interacts with what you had to eat and you need to
be close to a bathroom.

Kubilee

Kubilee

• Members
  • 477 posts
I take it and have for almost a year and I can't even begin to think about taking it in the mornings with my breakfast, it gives me the most horrible stomach ache. I take mine with my lunch, dinner and the last one at 1:00 AM. What I do is break mine in half and I take half of one those times mentioned and I eat half of what I am going to eat, take the pill and then finish eating. This way, at least for me, I have something in front of an behind it and it seems to pad it a little better.

I tried so hard to take it with my breakfast, but it didn't work no matter what I ate or what I did...... so I just can't take it in the mornings at all. So I do that one at 1:00 AM, with a few crackers or something very light.

I have a very low tolerence to pills of any kind and I have loads of stomach issues, so I have to be careful of anything I take because of this.

Oh and welcome. I'd love to not have to see you here, but if you have to join us in our "Club", then we are most happy you found this place, you are in very very good hands with these people, they have all but saved my life, literally. ;)
I am a Type II, DX - 5/11/07
Meds - Metformin 425MG 3x daily

Lulika

Lulika

• Members
  • 406 posts
Hi Karen,
Metformin was my worst enemy for the first week of taking it.I didnt get the tummy upsets, but it made me feel so spaced out and weird! Thank goodness that has now passed and I feel fine on it. I take it in the morning, once a day (500mg) right after my breakfast. My doctor told me to always take it with or after food.
Hope you settle down with it soon...and welcome! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]LULIKA

Life might not be the party we hoped for..but while we're here we might as well DANCE!! :D

Friends are like stars...you don't have to see them to know they're there :T

Remember...when you're down to nothing, God is up to something" :)

Diagnosed 3/3/08
Metformin 500x1

HbA1C 7/3/08 7.1

HbA1C 24/6/08 6.3

bryan42

bryan42

• Seniors
  • 918 posts
Welcome to the site Karen, hope you feel "at home" here :)
Awesome,informative friends here! You will learn more here, than anywhere else. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Diagnosed Type 2 April '07
(April '07-A1C= 6.9)
(August '07 A1C= 6.4)
(March '08 A1C= 6.4)
(June '08 A1C= 6.3)
(Sept '08 A1C= 7.4)
(Dec '09 A1C= 8.0)
(Nov '10 A1C= 8.6) whoops! :o
(Sept '11 A1C= 10.9)
(March '12 A1C=6.9! BOOYAH)
(October '12 A1C=7.1 )
(April '13 A1C=7.6 )
(Sept '13 A1C=6.6 ) hard work is paying off!

Phil 4:13

buddy7

buddy7

• Seniors
  • 2,571 posts
Good evening, and welcome to the DF Karen ! on Metformin my-self, always take mind after a meal with orange juice, sugar free of course, don't seem to have a problem, hope you get on with this wonderful drug.

B/7 ESSEX UK.

wizard35

wizard35

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all! I myself am on glyburide. I was diagnosed with Type 2 recently and they put me on Avandia. I've been researching about this and have found some sites that claim they found a cure for Diabetes

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,174 posts

Hello all! I myself am on glyburide. I was diagnosed with Type 2 recently and they put me on Avandia. I've been researching about this and have found some sites that claim they found a cure for Diabetes

Let me guess. Most of these sites claim they cure about anything that ails you. :eek:

TeeJaxx

TeeJaxx

• Members
  • 176 posts
Hi Karen,
I take 5 Metformin a day - 2 with my breakfast, and 3 with my supper. I try to take them after food, as I too had the same symptoms as you do. After awhile, your body does seem to regulate itself to taking them (at least mine did). However, things still happen from time to time. It gets easier with time.
Good Luck,
Theresa
Diagnosed in Jan. 2004
Currently on Metformin x5 a day
Avapro x 1 a day
Diamicron x 1 a day

POSTCARD EXCHANGE ROUND 2
20 SENT
7 RECIEVED

Thank you : Kathi
Vickie
Val
Keith
Gretchen
David
Ellie

Ronman

Ronman

• Members
  • 110 posts
I had a great deal of trouble with Metformin when I first started taking it. In fact, I took myself off it after three weeks. I was taking two 500mg tablets in the moring and two more in the early evening. I suffered from a constant headache, upset stomach and a general heaviness in my chest. My morning fasting numbers have been so high (always 200+) that I thought I had better give it another chance. Now I take one in the morning, one in the early evening and one at bedtime. My morning numbers are down considerably (150's) and while I still suffered the same symtoms I had previously, I think I am finally getting out of the woods. I don't get the headaches much anymore and I am generally tolerating the medication much better this time around. This is after three weeks so I am hoping my body is finally adapting to Metformin.

derf

derf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
I must be the exception to the rule. On doctor's orders, I'm easing into my Metformin dose. For the first week, I took only one in the morning. This morning, I started with 2 in the morning with my breakfast. Next week I will be up to my 3 each morning. So far, I haven't really had any side effects. I was worried about it but I must just be one of the lucky ones.

On the plus side, I've been monitoring for a couple of days now and my numbers are still very high but they're starting to come down. I haven't had a Dr Pepper or Mountain Dew in over a week now. I'm over the caffeine withdrawal now and I think I've kicked them for good.

JRT757

JRT757

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When I wass diagnosed as a T2 in April of 2006, I was in the hospital for a bout of cellulitis. Blood work showed a blood glucose level of over 400. They started me on the Metformin, 500 mg with each meal. Through trial and error of sorts, we determined that I get the best results from the medication if I take the pill WITH my meal. It seems to have the best therapeutic results this way. Luckily for me, I never got the stomach problems that others have mentioned !!

I'm not sure what my original A1c level was back in 2006, but I do know that my level in Feb. 2008 was 5.1. My FSB readings are usually below 100 and my level before dinner is also below 100. I only check twice a day. Dr. is even thinking about dropping the Metformin to 2X a day (breakfast/dinner).

In the beginning they also experimented with Glyburide. A dose of 5 mg in the morning was dropping my afternoon blood sugars into the 30's and 40's, with NO outward symptoms. They then cut it in half (2.5 mg) and it still happened.

What is weird, is that although I felt nothing when it dropped into the 30's and 40's with the Glyburide, if my blood sugar drops quickly (even if it is just 20 points), I feel that. I get the rapid heartbeat, cold sweats, etc. I check my sugar and if it is 20-30 points lower than my last reading, I drink a regular soda and within an hour it is back to being normal.

Scrabblechick

Scrabblechick

• Seniors
  • 1,084 posts
Right now, I'm taking 3 500mg Metformin 3x per day. I usually take it right after eating, but I may try taking it with my meal and see what happens.

It occasionally causes mild nausea, but my main side effects have been gas and mild diarrhea. I've been taking it since Feb. 9, and the effects have diminished, mostly.

I started taking 3 a day when I suspected my oral contraceptives were interacting with the Met and my BG wasn't coming down like I wanted it to. It's still not where I want it to be, which is below 100 most of the time, and below 140 2 hours after a meal. But it is improving. The first time I checked it in the morning, in February, it was 157--same as it had been in the lab a couple of days before. This morning, it was 114.

I just want everything to happen NOW! I want to get this thing under control, keep it under control and go on with my life!!

And if UAB ever starts doing the diabetes surgery, I'm getting down there as fast as my short legs will carry me! LOL.
Glycemic impact diet; exercise (jujitsu, walking); Metformin 2000 mg;
Victoza, 1.2 mg per day; Enalapril 40 mg; Prevachol
A1C, 11-10: 5.2!:elefant:
A1C, 9-1-09: 5.3!!; A1C, 5-19-09: 5.1!; A1C, 2-12-09: 5.3!; A1C, 11-14-08: 5.2!; A1C, 8-7-08: 6.3; A1C, 5-1-08: 5.6; A1C, 2-5-08: 7.4

jacobsam622

jacobsam622

• Seniors
  • 635 posts
You are right they FOUND a cure. Stop eating sugar of any kind( that includes refined, fruit, and starch ) and your blood sugar should be just fine thats according to the book about "all those cures they don't want you know about". Real simple right.

My question is who is the they that the book refers ?? Is it the they from John Carpenters movie or a new they

Back to reality I have heard that Astrozeneca is in third stage testing of a new diabetes medication that tackles the problem from a new angle. the stage one and stage two results look really good.
Byetta 5mcg twice a day
Sugar busters life style
Exercise = cardio and running after twins Ben & Josh

"Oh for Pete's sake" -Ben "Let me think" - Josh

Ok Wildcards watch your six.

You too will be assimilated! You will become one with the Borg. You will all become one with the borg."

To lose this war means more than defeat. To surrender is to never go home. All of us must rise to the call above and beyond". Lt Col TC McQueen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

djaganna

djaganna

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum on diabetes. I started taking metformin since 4 months and had a my doctor did a blood work (12 hour fasting) recently. I had fasting blood sugar level of 140 before he put me on 500 mg twice a day. In the recent exam it has come down to 104 and my hemoglobin A1c is down from 6.7 to 6.4. He wants me increase the dose by half tablet 2 times (500 plus half of that 2 times). Initially I had very minor side effects. He wants the fasting sugar level to be in the range of 69-99 and A1c to be below 6. I plan on getting checked in about 3 months again. Hopefully I will achive that by that time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users