• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Wes Nathan

Wes Nathan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Greetings,

The questions has come up: can a Type 2 diabetic have a daily cocktail without killing himself? I was wondering about the sugar content of 1 oz of blended whiskey (say Seagrams VO) and water. Probably not the sugar, it's probably the alcohol that diabetic coaches object to. But I'm asking; I really don't know.

Also, wheat bread, is it safe to eat? Or is most of it we find at the supermarket mostly just a change of color?

And finally, my new doc put me on Glyburide, Metformin, and Januvia, once a day. What has the results mostly been for Januvia? He felt it would knock it down 100 points. I havn't seen that yet.
Thanks,

Wes Nathan

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,121 posts
Give the meds a couple of weeks. They are not immediately effective like insulin.

One whisky and water a day may actually lower your sugars. Use your meter to test its effect. You do have a meter¿ The alcohol will keep your liver busy preventing it from releasing sugars. Of course that extra work does damagae it too ;)

IMO all store bought breads are evil. I've found very few that work well and none of those taste good. I now make my own breads. I control all contents including added sugar and salt. I get a boost of flavor and texture and they behave very well for me. But IME type 2's not on insulin hardly ever get along with bread.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

matingara

matingara

• Seniors
  • 2,175 posts

The questions has come up: can a Type 2 diabetic have a daily cocktail without killing himself? I was wondering about the sugar content of 1 oz of blended whiskey (say Seagrams VO) and water. Probably not the sugar, it's probably the alcohol that diabetic coaches object to. But I'm asking; I really don't know.

i would be very surprised if there are any carbohydrates in whiskey at all.

health "coaches" object to all sorts of things that they have been trained to object to. my grandfather drank scotch everyday and lived to a spritely 90. his wife did the same and she lived until 100.

i find that if i have bourbon and soda before/with dinner that my BGLs are actually slightly better than if i abstain. it works the same with red wine.

alcohol is easy for the health care people to demonize. it has been so "pre-demonized" by others that it is an easy sell job.

i don't buy it. not for one second.

:)

-- Joel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
May 2010 : A1C (home) 5.5%: Feb 2010: A1C (home): 5.2% Oct 2009: A1C: 5.7%;
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

Pote05

Pote05

• Seniors
  • 529 posts
I like a good Crown & Water or Low Carb Margarita. If I am really good all week and work out daily then some Miller Lite on the weekends!

Last 30 Day BS Average 104...
Last A1C 5.8
A1C as of July 2K11 5.6

(No A1C over 6 in 5 years) Golf, Great Music, Boat Drinks, Beaches, Cooking, BBQ, Camping out, Arkansas Razorbacks, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Chiefs, Jimmy Buffett, Kenny Chesney, Zac Brown Band, Trop-Rock Music!

T2 since Dec 06, Acto pls Met 2-15/1000, Januvia

http://www.facebook.com/joetown

Wes Nathan

Wes Nathan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Good news about the whiskey. I'm a 1 1/2 drink a day kinda person. It's relaxing. I usually end up throwing most of the second drink away. And I don't drink at all if I eat something instead.
I'm a truck driver. Today I had my bi yearly physical. I failed it because my blood sugar was 236, and DOT's maximum allowable is 200. So they told me to come back tomorrow morning and we'll do another test. The doctor advised me not to eat a lot, maybe even fast, before coming back. And take my 3 pills, which I hadn't done this morning because, well, I didn't know if it would show up as a drug in the Drug and Alcohol test. Apparently it doesn't.

So I work tonite from midnight to 5am. Then I have about 3 hours to kill before going to the med center for another blood test. This one I absolutely have to pass. I'm going to take my pills in about an hour, and take my meter with me and check it about 3am. If I don't eat anything they should knock it down to 160-170. We'll see. Appreciate everybody's comeback.

Wes

matingara

matingara

• Seniors
  • 2,175 posts
Good luck Wes! Let us know how you get on.

if you are new to this treatment - shouldn't your Med people wait a couple of weeks to see how your BGLs are doing?

it takes a few weeks for one to stabilize. also, if you have to pass this test then ELIMINATE as much carbohydrate from your diet as you can.

Eliminate all bread, rice, pasta. Eliminate all fruit. Eliminate all cereals and grains

Eat chicken and fish and beef and lamb and pork. Eat salads mainly with lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage (with oil and vinegar (not balsamic) dressing).

go for eggs and cheese and ham!

Try that for a couple of weeks with your meds and then take the test. i'll bet you will be in much better shape with your BGL.

-- Joel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
May 2010 : A1C (home) 5.5%: Feb 2010: A1C (home): 5.2% Oct 2009: A1C: 5.7%;
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

davef

davef

• Seniors
  • 8,192 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Wes,

It took about 2-3 weeks for Metformin to kick in for me, at the sametime I did cut out white bread, pasta, rice, potato etc. and have been really carefully about carbs.

In relation to bread, as I mentioned I stay clear of white bread (which I used to love, but it doesn't love me), I have been buying a wholemeal brown bread, which is very much like a home made bread. A couple of weeks ago, for want of a change I tried another brand, which was a more "mass produced" variety and it played havoc with my BG for a whole day, lesson learned and back to my regular brown bread.

Brown Bread is a very traditional food here in Ireland and I know a number of people who have moved to the states who have managed to find something similar to what we have here, if you know any Irish (there's 44 million in the states) you could always ask them about brown bread and where they get it.

I find meats (beef, chicken, pork) work well for me and it easy to make a filling meal with meat and veg while avoiding carbs.

Don't expect miracles from you meds immediately, it's not like popping an aspirin for a headache.

Best of luck with your medical, do let us know how you get on.

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

kgm0612

kgm0612

• Seniors
  • 7,672 posts
Good luck with your test this morning, Wes.

I prefer my store brand light wheat bread. It has 18g carbs for 2 slices and 4 grams fiber. I also do well with pumpernickle bread.

As far as alcohol, I prefer wine, but now and then like a glass or two of Jack Daniels with diet gingerale.

Karen

Wes Nathan

Wes Nathan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi folks,

Good news. Passed the blood test with, uh, flying colors. Which is to say a reading of 126. That's the lowest my blood sugar's been in over a year. FWIW, I ate a cold hotdog at 3 this morning. Otherwise I fasted, consuming only coffee with Stevia as a sweetner. I took my meds at 11 last night, then went to work. I tested when I got home at 5:30, it came up 153. I coulda lived with that. Then I drank coffee for two hours and tested again. This time 156. Still acceptable. Then I drove a half hour to the med center and it dropped 30 points. I don't know why, but obviously a complete lack of food had something to do with it.

I think the meds will work if I help out by watching my diet better than I have been. Doing some exercise will help, too, I'm sure. Appreciate everybody's interest and suggestions.
Best, of course,

Wes N

davef

davef

• Seniors
  • 8,192 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Wes,

That's great news, congratulations and thanks for letting us know. Now you know you can do it and know that watching your diet/exercise will play a big role in it.

Keep on truckin' and stay motivated.

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users