• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

bungnposs

bungnposs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
Iam new to this forum and would like to know if anybody has had hives which have lasted for at least 4 weeks. I have been on prednisone for 2 weeks now and the hives are still there does any one know if there is a connection with Hives and high blood glucose would appreciate any information anyone can offer
thankyou
bungnposs

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,619 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1
hello Bungnposs, I am sorry that you have Hives problem and I have read that it's a skin condition that you may cannot eat a certain thing that causes this condition.
Anyway Welcome to this helpful site. :) and please ask away on any questions that you like to know and also have some fun too. :D :T

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,143 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I have not heard of hives ever lasting that long, especially if you are taking prednisone for them. I think you should definitely contact your doctor and find out if he/she thinks you may have an allergy to either your medications or something you are continuing to eat or drink.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

alicat61

alicat61

• 500 plus
  • 1,242 posts
:) Hi
Hope you get as much info and enjoyment out of this forum as I have.
How long have you been diagnosed type 2 and what if any medications are you on?
How is the prednisolone affecting your blood sugar levels?
Predisolone often causes blood sugar levels to rise even in non diabetic people
Is there any improvement with the hives or are the same as they were at the beginning?
Sorry about all the questions but it will give everyone a clearer picture of what is happening.

I would suggest you go back to your doctor as they should be gone by now.
Take care from Alicat61:)

Puppypants

Puppypants

• 500 plus
  • 165 posts
I also had hives for about 3 weeks when I was first diagnosed and put on all kinds of new medicines. I actaully ended up in the emergency room 3 weekends in a row with hives that were just horrible! After seeing an allergist, he decided to take me off of Lisinopril, and put me on a daily dose of Allegra and Zrtec, and I have not had any hives since. Good luck, and I hope your hives clear up soon!
Diagnosed Type 2 February 14, 2007

A1C 2/07 11.8
A1C 4/07 7.4
A1C 9/07 6.5
A1C 2/08 6.4
A1C 2/09 7.0
A1C 05/09 6.1
A1C 11/09 5.9

glyburide 2.5 mg x 2
Metoporol 100 mg x 2
Hydrochlorothiazide 50 mg x 1
Aspirin 81 mg x 1

pokie

pokie

• 500 plus
  • 115 posts
I had a problem, really bad, with hives a few months back, before I went on insulin. They lasted for a few weeks and I was miserable. My doc never did confirm what the cause was. I have had a couple of minor flare-ups since but nothing like that first time. I am thinking there might be (for me, at least) a correlation between the hives and when my BG was out of control.
[SIGPIC]http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10467&dateline=1204011885[/SIGPIC]

Robbie
Type2, diagnosed 2004
Metformin 2000mg

Lantus at night
Novolog Flexpen before meals

"But Mama, that's where the fun is..."

bungnposs

bungnposs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been diagonised with diabetes 2 since 1998 I am on Diaformin 850mg twice daily and 2 diamicron 30mg daily I am also on other medications for other conditions the Prednisone has raised my BG quite a lot still have hives My doctor is now sending me to an immunologist and a endocrinologist as he seems to think that my medications are causing the hives he has also put me on sub-lingual B12 so here's hoping they go away have had them now for 6 weeks the predinsone is controlling them but they are still there.
other medications
ramipril 5mg daily
Adalat 30mg daily
noten 50mg daily
thyroxine 100mcg daily
esetrol 10mg daily
lipidil 100mg daily
crestor 20mg daily
asprin 100mg daily
nitrolingual spray when necessary
Fish oil 1000mg 4 daily
vitamin E 1000 Iu daily
Mega B 150 daily
co enzime Q10 100mg daily

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,821 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Have you seen a dermatologist for treatment? Are your hives localized to one particular area on your body, or are they everywhere? Have you changed laundry detergents or other products that come in contact with your skin? Any recent changes/additions in diet or new medications? Does anyone else in your home have this problem?

Hope you can get some answers soon...i'm sure you're quite miserable.

In the meantime, i'd suggest you launder your clothes and bedding in one of the "fragrance-free" detergents (like All Free or Tide Free) and fragrance-free dryer sheets, and use Ivory soap for bathing. Keep you skin well moisturized....Vanicream is a good lotion for sensitive skin...as it contains no fragrances or dyes, and you might tolerate it better than regular lotion. Aveeno also makes an anti-itch body wash.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

bungnposs

bungnposs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thankyou all for your sympathy and ideas. My Doctor has finally referred me to an immunologist but that is not till Sept. Hopefully all signs of them will be gone. I still get them if I don't take the prednisone 1/4 tab daily now and an antihistamine as well he as also stopped Crestor,adalat and Ihe wants me to take sub-lingual vitamin B12, had to get the chemist to order it in hasn't arrived yet. Thanks again
Bungnposs

Scrabblechick

Scrabblechick

• 500 plus
  • 1,084 posts
I surely hope you've seen the last of those hives! My hubby got them after taking an antibiotic and he was SO miserable! I think he'd have gone insane if they'd lasted more than four or five days! It was awful.

The Aveeno is good stuff, though. They also make a wonderful body lotion and bar soap, as well as their shower gel. An oatmeal bath might also help. Talk to your chemist and see if there is a pre-packaged oatmeal bath additive available. I think the Aveeno folks make those, too.

Good luck!
Glycemic impact diet; exercise (jujitsu, walking); Metformin 2000 mg;
Victoza, 1.2 mg per day; Enalapril 40 mg; Prevachol
A1C, 11-10: 5.2!:elefant:
A1C, 9-1-09: 5.3!!; A1C, 5-19-09: 5.1!; A1C, 2-12-09: 5.3!; A1C, 11-14-08: 5.2!; A1C, 8-7-08: 6.3; A1C, 5-1-08: 5.6; A1C, 2-5-08: 7.4

Staceyy

Staceyy

• 500 plus
  • 166 posts
I get hives almost every day and have for years. They seem to be triggered by certain foods, meds and I don't know what. For me they are bothersome but not life threatening. I was taking Benadryl for them until I found out Benadryl slows the metabolism and can cause significant weight gain.

Stacey
The Diabetic Pastry Chef

kmlpag

kmlpag

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I had a hysterectomy back in February of 2007. I developed Hives about 2 weeks after that. I had them until August! They were all over my body, raised in some places at least a 1/4" and some were over 6" long! I was miserable. I went to an allergy doctor and she put me on steriods and zyrtec and something else I can't remember. They went away and I have not had them since. I too ended up in the emergency room at least 3 times. I just wanted to take a fork and scratch them!:eek: I hope that yours go away because I know how bad you must feel.
Diagnosed Type 2 04/2005
A1C 04/08 8.1
11/07 7.5
08/07 7.4
05/07 8.9

Karen

MarcS

MarcS

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
I get hives very easily if I am too hot. Especially if there is a heat source pointed at me (like a heater) I start to break out immediately. I have what look like freckles on various parts of my bodies left from these that I have had checked at a dermatologist, and was told it was a condition that there was nothing that could be done. My mothers swears there is a correlation between me having got measles at a late age, and now having these marks.
A1C:
08/06/07 10.8
10/17/07 9.1
01/24/08 8.6
04/02/08 7.5
04/22/08 7.1
06/11/08 6.0

Alene

Alene

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
I had very bad hives constantly for a year and a half. My only allergy is penicillin and I wasn't exposed to it at all. The hives were an autoimmune condition... basically my body was acting as if there was a histamine present even though there was nothing there. Thankfully, I don't get them any more. When I did have them, I was taking the equivalent to 2 Reactine pills day and night (prescription) and also a drug called Zantac... which is used heart burn/ indegestion but works as an anti-histamine. One of the worst experiences of my life was the days prior to when I saw the allergist when I was told not to take any anti-histamines. I was is so much pain and had large hives everywhere on my body from the top of my head to the bottom on my feet... it was the worst pain I have ever experienced. I ended up caving and taking a Retactine pill after about a day and a half. :(

Anyway, bungnposs, I hope all this doesn't scare you. The pain can be avoided by staying on the anti-histamines.... just wanted to let you know that you're not alone and it sounds very weird but stuff like this happens. By the way, there is also the possibility that your hives aren't chronic... in which case I hope you can find your allergen and avoid it!

BrianCramer

BrianCramer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hives can also be caused by a weakened kidney response.

bunbury

bunbury

• 500 plus
  • 859 posts
I had them. They disappeared when I got my BGs under control and I haven't heard from them for nearly 18 months.

rak1978

rak1978

• 500 plus
  • 2,380 posts
Noticed that the original post on this thread was 2 yrs ago, but in case anyone is still following?....

I've had hives for almost a year this time around (this is my third time around having them for long periods of time). Been in the ER once because my face, lips, and nose were really swollen and inhibiting my breathing. I carry an epi-pen and take massive doses of antihistamines. I've had several rounds of prednisone (nightmare on glucose levels). I've seen two allergy/immunologists and both agree that they are chronic autoimmune urticaria (hives), not an allergy. I have no idea whether or not they are or can be blood sugar related.
Yet another autoimmune malfunction to add to the list.

Not sure if it's blood sugar related or not.
Rachel :D
Type 1, diagnosed 2004

sheilarenee

sheilarenee

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
I also get hives & severe facial swelling (2X) & have since I was diagnosed. I am seeing an allergist. He told me not to take ibuprofen. And there is a correlation to your period (for the girls).

I got hives Wednesday, immediately after eating sugar-free cheese cake (don't judge). It had ingredients in it that I have had 1000x- there is no figuring this stuff out.

I am also on 5mg Zyrtec- but Benadry works better for Hives-in my opinion.

As I get older, I am getting more allergic. I will be 45 in April.:(

Good Luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hello from New Orleans :shakehand
Diagnosed 05/07- A1c 12.7
02/10- A1c 6.9 :)
11/10 A1c 8 :(
2/11 A1c 8.1 :confused:
Lantus
Metformin 500mg 2x a day -down from 1000mg :)
Fish Oil - 2x a day
Cinnamon & Chromium- 2x a day
VERY Low Carb since April 2011

rak1978

rak1978

• 500 plus
  • 2,380 posts

I also get hives & severe facial swelling (2X) & have since I was diagnosed. I am seeing an allergist. He told me not to take ibuprofen. And there is a correlation to your period (for the girls).

I got hives Wednesday, immediately after eating sugar-free cheese cake (don't judge). It had ingredients in it that I have had 1000x- there is no figuring this stuff out.

I am also on 5mg Zyrtec- but Benadry works better for Hives-in my opinion.

As I get older, I am getting more allergic. I will be 45 in April.:(

Good Luck!

Frustrating, isn't it? Has your doctor given you a diagnosis? For me, it's hard to accept that it's an autoimmune problem. I keep thinking it's gotta be something I'm eating or something I'm exposed to. I've had allergy tests done and nothing shows up. I'm for sure allergic to the adhesive on the quickset for my pump, but I've had hives long before I had the pump (even before diagnosis), so I really don't think that's the problem. They are worse when I get sick, or like you said, am on my period. Certain things do trigger them though...like tight fitting clothes or spandexy type things. I was up to 40 mg zyrtec a day along with singulair and benadryl if needed....a walking zombie. Right now, they're in a little bit of "remission", I only have to take the zyrtec (10mg) every couple of days.
Anyway, I feel your pain (or itch and pain in this case). Funny that you mention that about the sf cheesecake (and I'm not judging!)...I have noticed that mine get worse when I have artificial sugar (diet sodas). One time I had a "sugar free" cupcake that someone was so sweet to make for me, but I have no idea what was in it. That set off a 3 month episode. It was also the night of a big church event that I was singing/playing piano at and I was sick, so it could've been the stress or the sickness too...but I blame the cupcake.
If you ever feel like venting about it, send over a P.M....I've sure vented here! Sorry!
Rachel :D
Type 1, diagnosed 2004

sheilarenee

sheilarenee

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Frustrating, isn't it? Has your doctor given you a diagnosis? For me, it's hard to accept that it's an autoimmune problem. I keep thinking it's gotta be something I'm eating or something I'm exposed to. I've had allergy tests done and nothing shows up.
Anyway, I feel your pain (or itch and pain in this case). Funny that you mention that about the sf cheesecake (and I'm not judging!)...I have noticed that mine get worse when I have artificial sugar (diet sodas). One time I had a "sugar free" cupcake that someone was so sweet to make for me, but I have no idea what was in it. That set off a 3 month episode. It was also the night of a big church event that I was singing/playing piano at and I was sick, so it could've been the stress or the sickness too...but I blame the cupcake.
If you ever feel like venting about it, send over a P.M....I've sure vented here! Sorry!

I had tests, getting more in 2 weeks- I know I am allergic to Cats, Dogs (I have dogs), grass, Pollen, dust, apparently LIFE- My last episode with my face swelling happened late January. I think cats triggered it that time. It was REALLY bad- I have been on Predisone twice now since then- (Started again yesterday-after the hives) my #'s are sky high right now. 2 days of 400's. I started taking Novolin R again, which if you read my other posts, you know I am not having an easy time with. It is helping some, but I think I am being too conservative. Just so scared of Lows. They are the worst.

Eating very low carbs (except for the sf cheese cake) ;)

It's good to vent!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hello from New Orleans :shakehand
Diagnosed 05/07- A1c 12.7
02/10- A1c 6.9 :)
11/10 A1c 8 :(
2/11 A1c 8.1 :confused:
Lantus
Metformin 500mg 2x a day -down from 1000mg :)
Fish Oil - 2x a day
Cinnamon & Chromium- 2x a day
VERY Low Carb since April 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users