- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Jibbi

Jibbi

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have a vial of Humalog, new and unopened, that has an expiration date of 12/07. Am I risking by using this insulin?

johgn

johgn

• 500 plus
  • 191 posts
As far as I know the worst thing that will happen will be that it won't work.
" ..That the human condition can be summed up in just one word, and this is the word: Embarrassment."
Kurt Vonnegut

shiftzor

shiftzor

• 500 plus
  • 1,017 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
I wouldn’t personally use it, but that is just because I don’t want to risk a huge bg spike from lack of insulin after a meal, its not worth the risk.

Pumping 20/05/2009 Animas 2020

CGMS coming soon...

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts
I would use it and test. I might not use it in a pump (infusion set, etc) without first trying one shot to confirm viability. The stuff doesn't go from 100% perfect to useless in 3 months. It loses potency over time. The only caveat is cloudiness. It has to be clear.
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

SGT Shoutmore

SGT Shoutmore

• 500 plus
  • 253 posts

I have a vial of Humalog, new and unopened, that has an expiration date of 12/07. Am I risking by using this insulin?

Do you have an vials of humalog that are NOT expired?

If so, it is unnecessary to use the expired one. The viability of expired insulin is QUESTIONABLE at best.

I **ALWAYS** feel like I did something wrong when I have BG spikes that I am directly responsible for and feel like I should be sitting in the naughty chair for having done so..;)

Hey, if you have NO other choice, you do what you've got to do, but if you have insulin within it's shelf life range, stick with the "good stuff". While sticking a proverbial fly in the ointment is entertaining, guinea pigs are just that because they can't say NO.

And just an FYI, I am GREAT at giving advice *cough* at times lousy at taking it. :( YMMV
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pumping Apidra in the Animas One Touch Ping silver.

I, being a control freak, diabetes makes for a great victim.

A1c 03/10 5.6 (All too easy)

stlduckhunter

stlduckhunter

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
Are you the Jibbi of BlackBerry fame? If so, I am humbled by your presence. You Rock.

milfordj

milfordj

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
If the insulin has been kept in the fridge the entire time and it is within 2 or 3 months of the expiration date, I'd have no reservations about using it. Of course, I'd try to use it within 30 days of opening it, and, in this case, try to keep it cool (fridged as much as possible) unit used up. This is based on past experience. Like ALL products, the expiration date is set earlier than necessary I suppose to allow for persons who have let it overheat or not handled it properly. Of course, I have to admit that I also take various pills that are a year past expiration date (also, still effective and no harm). Just MY Opinion, and as you've seen, lots of others have very different opinions about this.

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts
I'd use Humulin and Humalog for 8-10 weeks after opening. I'd discard once the insulin became wonky enough that I couldn't maintain satisfactory control. The last go-round, I think perhaps I should have stopped at six weeks.

In that sense, I frequently use expired insulin. As for past-the-expiration-date... I've never tried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users