Lantus & Humalog

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Brian23

Brian23

• 500 plus
  • 140 posts
Can I take my Lantus at the same time as my humalog? Which one should i take first? I try to take my Lantus everyday at the same time but i work shift work. How should i do my injections?
[Diagnosed: 7/30/2007 (323mg/dl 8hr fast) Type I or LADA,
A1C: 8.5 (7/30/2007) when D'd
A1C: 6.9 (12/15/2007) Diet & exercise
A1C: 6.9 (03/08/2008) 8 units of Lantus
A1c: 6.1 (6/17/2008) added humalog
A1C: 5.5 (10/15/2008)
A1C: 5.65 (2/15/2009)
Meds: 16 units of Lantus, 4-7 units of humalog with meals since 3/11/2008.
Multivitiman,

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
Brian,

Yes you can take them at the same time, but not in the same syringe or the same exact injection site. You would usually take the Humalog a little before (or same time) as eating carbs/meals, and/or to correct a high bg. Lantus is usually taken either in the morning or at bedtime (and sometimes split into 2 doses per day). I think I scanned another post about you taking Lantus already, but just getting the Humalog, correct?

Do you have a ratio for how much Humalog to take for a certain amount of carbs? (example 1 unit for 15 carbs). And a ratio for how much Humalog to take to lower a high bg? (example 1 unit lowers bg 50 points).
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

Brian23

Brian23

• 500 plus
  • 140 posts
I have just taken my first dose of novolog (what is the difference between humolog and novolog by the way?) I was @ 120 mg/dl before I ate Cereal and Milk(usually makes me about 225 post prandial) and some pringles. 30 min after first bite I was at 170 mg/dl, 1hr after first bite I was 90 mg/dl , 67 mg/dl 1hr 40 min after first bite... bout to eat something so i dont get too low
Multivitiman,

BlueSky

BlueSky

• 500 plus
  • 2,566 posts
Most people say they are the same. But I found Novolog to be quicker and stronger than Humalog. It looks like you are finding the same thing. ;)
In my humble opinion :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 since 1977
MDI using Lantus, Novorapid and Actrapid

Brian23

Brian23

• 500 plus
  • 140 posts
Well I just ate some meatloaf, mash potatoes, mixed vegies, cucumber and a cup of ice cream... no rapid insulin. I will see where that gets me. How long does the rapid stuff stay in the body, when does it peak?
Multivitiman,

BlueSky

BlueSky

• 500 plus
  • 2,566 posts
Generally speaking, most of it is finished in three hours, although there will be some residual action up to 5 hours. But there can be a lot of variation, depending on activity levels, state of health, temperature etc. Also, the larger the dose, the longer it lasts.
In my humble opinion :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 since 1977
MDI using Lantus, Novorapid and Actrapid

grace girl

grace girl

• 500 plus
  • 1,500 posts
I take my lantus at the same time as humalog all the time. As was said before, don't mix them, and choose different locations. I tend to always go by my own personal left side/lantus rule. Keeps me straight.
~Holly~
Incorrectly dx'ed type 2 7/00 :eek:
Correctly dx'ed type 1 5/01
MDI
Lantus 2x daily & Humalog

orpy

orpy

• 500 plus
  • 310 posts
I am taking 4-5 units of lantus. This is helping with my fasting morning readings. However, at my upcoming appointment I am going to propose insulin to correct my postprandial readings...

Can anyone tell me what my options might be? I know very little about insulin (other than that I had to inject during a pregnancy 12 years ago). When is a pump called for. I'm a skinny diabetic who is probably not type 2 and I'm sick of not getting more aggressive treatment (basically starving here)...is there a type of insulin I should request?

Thanks to all you knowledgeable folks!
Orpy

A1C changes: 6.8-->6.6-->6.5-->6.1-->6.4-->7.2 --> 6.0-->6.4-->6.3-->5.9!!! (June 2009) (I am so happy I made the 5 club)-->6.2.

Type 1

Officially pumping as of 2/1/2011!
Humalog
Animas Ping!

I have my ups and downs.

Jill-O

Jill-O

• 500 plus
  • 1,656 posts
You can take them at the same time but use different syringes / needles and a different part of your body :)

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

donkat

donkat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
I was very tired one night and accidentally put 40 units of Humalog in a used syringe that had been used to administer my Lantus the night before. I try to reuse my syringes at least once, because every little bit I can save helps. I lost my prescription coverage and we are scrambling to get some help. But anyway, my question is - Should I dispose of the 40 units of Humalog or would it be okay to still use it?

Kat

Erin

Erin

• 500 plus
  • 837 posts
The drug companies would say toss it. I made that mistake a couple of times and the humalog was fine. But I'd only drawn up the amount I was going to use right at that minute. I don't know how 40 u sitting in the syringe for a while would do?
That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.
- Dorothy Parker

T1 19 years
Minimed Paradigm 522... yay!

BobbyD

BobbyD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am a type 2 diabetic and my doctor had recentally added Lantus to my Oral therapy. Is anyone taking Januvia, Metformin, and Lantus together? Im really afraid since there has been no formal testing of this combination as of yet. If anyone is on this therapy ....please let me know how long and if you have had any problems.

Rakos1

Rakos1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am also a type 2. I am still struggling to get to that happy zone. I take 50 units of novolog pen at breakfast and dinner. 10 mcg byetta at lunch (endo says it will help curb appetite), and 90 units of lantus at bedtime. levels when waking up are still 170-200, and over 200 most of the time before meals. I try to watch carbs, but not easy, and not exercising enough, although becoming recently unemployed is about to do wonders for my golf game. Since starting on the insulin, my weight has soared. A1C went from nearly 12 down to 9.1 at last checkup, and triglycerides and cholesterol are the best they have ben in 10 years. Anybody have any thoughts on where i go from here?

vecca

vecca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I finally got my bf to start on Humolog but now he is going though needles so fast and still no insurance ... Is there a reason you shouldnt use the same syringe for both - I mean not at the same time but one injection then the next? and someone mentioned re-using needles but I just don't know what is safe.

orpy

orpy

• 500 plus
  • 310 posts

I finally got my bf to start on Humolog but now he is going though needles so fast and still no insurance ... Is there a reason you shouldnt use the same syringe for both - I mean not at the same time but one injection then the next? and someone mentioned re-using needles but I just don't know what is safe.

I reuse all the time...I use until it is too dull...no problems yet...
Orpy

A1C changes: 6.8-->6.6-->6.5-->6.1-->6.4-->7.2 --> 6.0-->6.4-->6.3-->5.9!!! (June 2009) (I am so happy I made the 5 club)-->6.2.

Type 1

Officially pumping as of 2/1/2011!
Humalog
Animas Ping!

I have my ups and downs.

mmissanne

mmissanne

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
I had the same question. I am also taking the same medications. I asked my endocrinologist that same question and he said " It's okay to take them at the same time because they are completly different insulins. Humalog for meal control and lantus as a basal for 24 hour control.
The important caution is to NOT take them in the same location. Example:
*I take humalog in my thighs.
*Lantus in adbomen
They should not be mixed. So avoid injection in the same location.
Good Luck!
  • * Lantus 24 units
  • * Humalog varies per carbs intake per meal

sarahspins

sarahspins

• 500 plus
  • 862 posts
As long as you inject at least 2 inches apart it's fine. :)

jaman26

jaman26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I've heard about this couple living in a small city close to mine that had their child diagnosed with leucemia and decided to go for a natural cancer treatment which was shocking to everybody because we always believed we must go for tradicional methods. Well, after 2 years the result was visible and this young boy was healthy and doing great.

So it is true that today we have more therapy choices than ever. The problem is that neither the general public nor conventional doctors know anything about them.

Unfortunately, college students in conventional medical schools (MD Oncologists) and in post-grad internships are not taught anything about low cost, natural therapies for cancer that have proven so successful for decades.They're taught high-profit commercial drugs, surgery and radiation.

dsans

dsans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

You can get help with syringes from BD by calling 1-866-818-6906. I think the issue is leftover insulin of one type mixing with the other and reducing effectiveness. I reuse needles, but use separare ones for the two types of insulin.

deecee322

deecee322

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I am a type 2 diabetic and my doctor had recentally added Lantus to my Oral therapy. Is anyone taking Januvia, Metformin, and Lantus together? Im really afraid since there has been no formal testing of this combination as of yet. If anyone is on this therapy ....please let me know how long and if you have had any problems.

Hi, just joined and saw your post.

I've been a Type 2 diabetic since 1980 (which, come to think of it, was the year I went to the police academy... must be related!). About 3 1/2 years ago my physician put me on a relative low (5 units) does of Lantus as bedtime. That lasted about a year, then boosted to 10. At the time, I was also taking Januvia (new that year) and max dosage of Metformin (1000 mg twice daily). Since then, I've moved from the east coast to the Upper Midwest, perhaps causal, perhaps not. But my Lantus increased to 46 units at bedtime, and around March of this year, my new internist put me on Humalog. Five units before meals. At the same time, she stopped the Januvia. She's one of the few ADA-certified physicians I've come across (it's a very rigorous testing process, and most can't devote the time, which doesn't mean they're not good doctors) - and really keeps up with the literature. Apparently, there's a considerable body of opinion that in my circumstance - already at max Metformin, taking Lantus and now Humalog - the Januvia really doesn't do much for you other than stress the liver. I noticed no really significant differences in my BG for the first few months, although since then I've put some weight on and it's crept up.

So, I'd talk to your doctor about the efficacy of Januvia. I've heard from others who were taken off of it with no ill results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users