diet pills for diabetics

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

6angels

6angels

• 500 plus
  • 111 posts
Hi everyone. Talked to the nurse today and she said she would talk to the Dr about writing me a Script for diet pills( I've gained 25 pounds in a very short times since taking shots) b/c of some of my other health issues working out everyday is just not possiable. anyways. does anyone know of a Diet pills I may beable to research and talk to her about?
"Laughter is the best medicine - unless you're diabetic, then insulin comes pretty high on the list."

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
I wouldn't take diet pills. Anything that makes you nervous and jittery is not safe. Diet pills put more wear and tear on your heart. You need to make a permanent change in your life, and pills can't be that answer. Be healthy and don't worry so much about being skinny. Lose the weight in a healthy and safe manner. Eat less and take every opportunity you can to walk further, take stairs, etc.

I saw you sticking your tongue out at me!!!
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

Gordonm

Gordonm

• 500 plus
  • 1,511 posts

I wouldn't take diet pills. Anything that makes you nervous and jittery is not safe. Diet pills put more wear and tear on your heart. You need to make a permanent change in your life, and pills can't be that answer. Be healthy and don't worry so much about being skinny. Lose the weight in a healthy and safe manner. Eat less and take every opportunity you can to walk further, take stairs, etc.

I saw you sticking your tongue out at me!!!

I agree 100%. Its a simple equation. You take in more than you burn off you gain weight. You take in less you lose weight. To many people want a "magic" pill to do the work for them. Change your eating habits.

On a diet pill once you lose the weight you go off the pills and gain the weight right back. Do it the old fashioned way. Hard work.
Type 1 since 4/74
Pump user since 10/17/06!
MM 523 pump
Bike miles
2013 3196
2014 1610 miles

Alice

Alice

• 500 plus
  • 1,587 posts
I don't recommend "diet" pills...for one thing, there is no magic pill for weight loss. If you think taking insulin is confusing enough without "speed" going through your body...those things are going to really mess with you...

I'm slowly losing weight (very slowly) but without trying too hard...I watch my portion sizes mainly...but eat almost anything I feel like. Also, I joined Weight Watchers for that weekly "weigh in". I see people in my group with bigger issues than me and they are losing weight and exercising.

Sorry to be such a bummer, but the pills don't sound good.

6angels

6angels

• 500 plus
  • 111 posts
I won't debate but will say I have others medical problems besides being diabetic and some of the meds I am on make it real hard to lose weight and I actully gain because of them. I was just trying to see if others may knew of Diet pills that is safe for Diabetic's to use.

on another note. we joined a gym tonight and I actully worked out for 30 minutes. NOw I feel like I am going to die LOL but we did work out. I can't do this everyday ( the Dr even says NOT TO because of my lupus) but I will try to work out 2 or 3 days a week if I can.Not sure how my body will react yet.
"Laughter is the best medicine - unless you're diabetic, then insulin comes pretty high on the list."

gambi

gambi

• 500 plus
  • 166 posts

I won't debate but will say I have others medical problems besides being diabetic and some of the meds I am on make it real hard to lose weight and I actully gain because of them. I was just trying to see if others may knew of Diet pills that is safe for Diabetic's to use.

on another note. we joined a gym tonight and I actully worked out for 30 minutes. NOw I feel like I am going to die LOL but we did work out. I can't do this everyday ( the Dr even says NOT TO because of my lupus) but I will try to work out 2 or 3 days a week if I can.Not sure how my body will react yet.

Ask your doctor about symlin, it is a type 1 drug that is suppossed to help with after meal highs and it helps you loose weight.

Also I believe in good old exercise and diet :) good luck I too struggle with weight dispite diet and exercise, so I just went the hollywood way and had lypo :-)
Type 1 (MODY - maybe) April 2007
Mimi Med pump w/Apidra 10/24/07
CGMS - I would be lost with out it
Byetta 10mc - not typical for a type 1, but it's working!!!!
Metformin 1000 mg at night

Newly Wed 5/3/08

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts
Not sure how exercise and lupus interact but are you able to walk at least every day? That would go a long way to helping control weight gain.

Injecting too much insulin and eating to 'catch up' can cause weight gain. Be careful about dosages and carb counting.
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
Trina,

I'm sorry if I came off as not compassionate, but I've been down the road of diet pills, and just know it's not a safe way to go. I do have a lot of compassion for you and others who take medication that helps the weight pile on. My mother has RA, and is very well controlled, but she weighs more than she ever has in her life. I think you are just going to have to decrease the amount you are eating, even if it seems you aren't eating that much. I have a lot of joint issues/pain, and a pretty high ANA reading, but have never been diagnosed w/Lupus or RA. I chalk it up to connective tissue hardening due to long term Type 1. I also have arthritis which hurts if you do, and hurts if you don't exercise. And I have chronically snapping fingers. Thank God, my frozen shoulders are no longer frozen and I get restful sleep again.

I'm sending you hugs and compassion -- keep hanging in there and keep seeking that balance of feeling right -- it's not easy. Maybe there IS something you can take for help with the weight -- like the Symlin. I don't know. I think I'd rather be overweight than in pain all the time. Good luck . . .
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users