- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

cindel

cindel

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi, This is my first time posting...I was recently told that I needed to check my blood sugars in the morning. I was giving a Freestyle Flash meter from my doctor. Problem is, insurance will NOT cover the test strips or the lancets. I can't afford to buy the the test strips. The pharmacist told me about a program that some drug reps have called co-pay. Does anyone know about this? From what I gather, the co-pay card takes off a certain amount of money from the cost of the test strips.

How do you contact the drug reps to get one of these???? I'm just getting overwhelmed and not sure what to do. I've only got 6 strips left that came with my meter. Is there a place online to buy these at a reasonable cost?

I know I have to change my diet but where does one start?
Thank you
~cindel

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
Hi Cindel. My daughter got free medication for a short time, the pharmacist gave us lists of names to apply to. I do not know if they do the same for testing supplies, but you should ask. I hope you get it worked out soon. Maybe you can get your doctor to give you more samples until you find more help.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

R2112

R2112

• 500 plus
  • 181 posts
Hi cindel,

I know what you mean. I don't have insurance at all right now and because I'm working for myself. I can't get insured because I'm a high risk, geeess! I've never heard about the co-pay plan thing so I'll be watching this post but if you need to buy I found American Diabetes Wholesale online has pretty good prices.

Good Luck...and Welcome!
Dave

T2 Dx 2.22.2008
Now Pre Dx 4.1.2008 :)
A1C 5.6
No Meds (for now)
Low Carb Diet
Exercise (everyday)

Jill-O

Jill-O

• 500 plus
  • 1,656 posts
Walmart sells a meter (under $10) that the strips are about $22/50 to go in it. The brand name is "ReliOn". I think it's about as cheap as you will find just shopping regular.

My insurance does cover my strips, but I like to test "a lot". I have bought strips for my One Touch Ultra for around $50/100 from eBay in the past.

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,992 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I know the price of having diabetes can be overwhelming. Test strips are expensive and some are covered by insurance while others are not. Find out from your insurance company which test strips are considered "formulary". Once you find out which test strips ARE covered, call that meter company and let them know that your insurance company will cover the strips, but you can't afford the meter. Odds are, the company will want your insurance company's business and they will send you a meter for free. Make sure you know how many strips your insurance company will cover monthly so you don't exceed the monthy allowance.

As far as diets go, there are many that people follow here. Go through the archives on this site and you will find many good ideas for low carb diets that will help you with your numbers.

I am glad you found us. There are great people here and lots of help.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,753 posts
I agree with Nancy. Contact your insurance to find out what is covered and then contact that company about getting a free meter from them and using their strips.
●Blue Ash, Ohio Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

Scrabblechick

Scrabblechick

• 500 plus
  • 1,084 posts
Hi Cindel and welcome to the forums! Here I go, pushing my True Track meter again. LOL. Well, Walgreen's sells them and often, if you buy 100 strips for $48, your meter is free. The strips run about $48 for 100 and $25 for 50. Lancets that will fit the TT pen are $5.95 for a box of 100. The TT meter usually tests within 10 points (higher or lower) of my One Touch Ultra2, the one my diabetes educator loves.

Otherwise, please do follow the excellent advice you've received here about finding supplies your insurance will cover. Frequent monitoring is the ONLY way to know what's going on with your body, especially in the beginning.

Good luck!
Glycemic impact diet; exercise (jujitsu, walking); Metformin 2000 mg;
Victoza, 1.2 mg per day; Enalapril 40 mg; Prevachol
A1C, 11-10: 5.2!:elefant:
A1C, 9-1-09: 5.3!!; A1C, 5-19-09: 5.1!; A1C, 2-12-09: 5.3!; A1C, 11-14-08: 5.2!; A1C, 8-7-08: 6.3; A1C, 5-1-08: 5.6; A1C, 2-5-08: 7.4

Moreno

Moreno

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
I use medicare by mail. The copay is cheap. It just means they help pay for your stuff.
Diagnosis: July 17, 2005

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,116 posts
Welcome Cindel!

Most insurance companies will provide a meter of their choice and then only charge the minimum copay for the strips. Did they offer you a meter or are they just refusing to pay for anything dealing with your diabetes?

pokie

pokie

• 500 plus
  • 115 posts
I am going thru some test strip problems at the moment, too. my original script was for testing only 4 times a day, and since I have gone on insulin I test at least 8 times a day. I am almost out and the insurance won't pay for more until next month. I am trying to get it worked out. I can't afford to buy them myself at $104 a box! The link someone posted above has some pretty good prices, though, I may order a small box to get me thru until my insurance business gets straightened out. I use the OneTouch Ultra, the strips are very spendy.
[SIGPIC]http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10467&dateline=1204011885[/SIGPIC]

Robbie
Type2, diagnosed 2004
Metformin 2000mg

Lantus at night
Novolog Flexpen before meals

"But Mama, that's where the fun is..."

Lulika

Lulika

• 500 plus
  • 406 posts
Welcome Cindel, I cant advise you about the strips as I am not n the USA and I have private health care here...but just wanted to welcome you anyway.! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]LULIKA

Life might not be the party we hoped for..but while we're here we might as well DANCE!! :D

Friends are like stars...you don't have to see them to know they're there :T

Remember...when you're down to nothing, God is up to something" :)

Diagnosed 3/3/08
Metformin 500x1

HbA1C 7/3/08 7.1

HbA1C 24/6/08 6.3

Jill-O

Jill-O

• 500 plus
  • 1,656 posts
It just crossed my mind -- has your doctor written a prescription for the strips? Maybe that's the problem (if so, easy to fix).

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,590 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Welcome Cindel! You've been given tons of good advice already, so I'll just leave it at Welcome aboard! You can learn a lot here, so post often and ask lots of questions.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

cindel

cindel

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank you for the welcome everyone. :)

My insurance company won't pay for ANYTHING doing with diabetes. That's would be the problem. I just don't understand why. I will definitely call again and talk to whoever can actually give me straight answers.

Welcome Cindel!

Most insurance companies will provide a meter of their choice and then only charge the minimum copay for the strips. Did they offer you a meter or are they just refusing to pay for anything dealing with your diabetes?

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,590 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Cindel, does your insurance pay for any medications or is it a hospital or doctor's office only type insurance?

If you don't have drug coverage, i'd suggest getting one of the "generic" meters from some place like Walmart, as they are much less expensive. Also, some use E-bay to buy strips, but be care of expiration dates.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
Welcome to the forum, Cindel

Wow........I can't believe your insurance company won't pay for anything diabetes related. That makes no sense at all!

Karen

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,758 posts

Thank you for the welcome everyone. :)

My insurance company won't pay for ANYTHING doing with diabetes. That's would be the problem. I just don't understand why. I will definitely call again and talk to whoever can actually give me straight answers.

Depending on the state, I don't think that's legal. Most states have mandates for diabetes supplies. Maybe they'll only cover it if you mail order?

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,753 posts
Cindel, I agree with Linda. I'm assuming you don't have prescription coverage with your insurance and that's why they won't cover it. Or is there some other reason that you know of?

Depending on the state, I don't think that's legal. Most states have mandates for diabetes supplies. Maybe they'll only cover it if you mail order?

If his company doesn't have a prescription rider attached to the insurance plan that's perfectly legal. If they do have one, they may simply be stating you must only use this brand and/or order it from here, again, totally legal with regards to the law.
●Blue Ash, Ohio Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

pegasus

pegasus

• 500 plus
  • 205 posts
Hi, Cindel,
A few thoughts:
* Ask your doc about meters/strips. The comp reps often give them away and they fill up storage rooms--my doc gave me *2* One-touch Ultras (I like to carry one around and leave one at home). And, of course, they all come with extra strips.
* The meter companies also often offer "rebates" that result in them being free--the recurring need for strips is where they make your money--so if you call and ask the company for a rebate-eligibile meter, you'd get one with more strips.
* Depending on how you get your insurance, see if the insurance company has a different plan you can rollover to that will upgrade you to one that covers your diabetes supplies. Make sure it's something like a "rollover" that doesn't result in a pre-existing condition "look back"--those won't cover your diabetes for a period of time. If they do, it will of course depend on whether you can afford the new plan ... :confused:
* Ask the meter company about "compassionate use" programs. Like insulin companies, there are some companies that have programs to diminish their bad rep for price gouging and excessive profits by providing some free or low-cost supplies to people who truly can't afford it. It may not be easy to find, but if you call and are persistent, you may find it. It also may mean calling another company and getting a completely new meter, but if you can get free strips out of it, it would be worth it.
* If you happen to be in the state of NY, then your insurance company is lying to you, because they're required to cover all diabetes supplies.

Good luck!

EDIT:
The American Diabetes Association may have a state-by-state guide on which states are required to cover diabetes supplies

patricia52

patricia52

• 500 plus
  • 2,506 posts
You may still be able to get a free Accu Chek Aviva with 60 strips by calling 1-800-456-3431. It comes with the MultiClick lancing device and 2 drums.
Check out some of the other posts to find other free meter offers. They come with a few strips. This could help until you can find a better solution.
Good luck. (((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))).
Patricia

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Lantus
Apidra
Diet & Exercise
Most recent A1C 5.6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users