What can I drink and how much?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

shutterbug

shutterbug

• 500 plus
  • 778 posts
I'm not a big alchol drinker, but I occassionally do have a bear or two or wine.

I'm a new type 2. I've read in this forums about wine etc. So drinking wine doesn't increase the BS that much. What about low carb beers? (like budlight or coorslight). How many beers (say in a can) do you drink and not worry about BS levels? :cheers:
Posted Image

Diagnosed - 02/28/08

A1C - (8/10/2009= 5.7; 03/02/09 = 5.6 ; 12/29/08 = 5.8 ; 09/17/08 = 5.5 ; 05/27/08 = 5.7 ; 04/03/08 = 7.7 ; 02/29/08 = 10.1)

matingara

matingara

• 500 plus
  • 2,175 posts
i am not a huge beer drinker. never have been. but i was delighted to find lots of low carb beers in australia! i find these do not affect BG if kept to say 2 bottles.

that said, dry red wine and hard liquor (in my case Wild Turkey) seem to bring my BGL down.

:)

-- Joel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
May 2010 : A1C (home) 5.5%: Feb 2010: A1C (home): 5.2% Oct 2009: A1C: 5.7%;
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,982 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Not a beer drinker, but do have the occ. glass of red wine with no problems. I will also occ. have vodka or rum mixed with a s/f soda, again with no problems. I don't notice much difference in my blood sugars afterwards, good or bad (maybe i'm not having enough? :confused: ;) )

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Dimes

Dimes

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
I drink 2 beers and I don't worry. I drink Canadian beer usually labatts, moosehead, sleemans, rickards. It tends to raise me a bit over the first 2 hours, then drops me a bit afterwards. The amount it drops me down seems to be directly in relation to how much I've drunk. 4-6 drinks has a much stronger effect on me, and requires a snack or small late night meal.. usually that is not a problem with me;) I haven't really pushed past there, so I don't have much to report, but my understanding is you have to be very careful.

The only beer I found that screwed with me was Guinness so I've been avoiding that one, and other dark beers as well. I'm sure one would be fine though.
Chris
Dx'ed Nov/2007

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts
I'm also a new Type 2 on diet and exercise only. I like beer a lot, mostly ales, local microbrews, Guinness and stuff like that. I'm not really a "low carb" beer kinda guy.

Now I was putting away 12 per week for a long time but cut way back on beer when I decided to lose some weight - two weeks before Dx.

I have 1-2 drinks about 5 days per week. Mostly red wine, whiskey etc. But I'll still have 2-3 beers per week. I could probably do a bit more but I'm still losing weight.

Here's the thing. You gotta test to know. Do some quasi scientific sampling. Eat and exercise so that you know pretty well what to expect and let your meter decide how much of which and what you can do. That's all. :cheers: Start slow and test a lot, answers will come.

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,114 posts

Here's the thing. You gotta test to know. Do some quasi scientific sampling. Eat and exercise so that you know pretty well what to expect and let your meter decide how much of which and what you can do. That's all. :cheers: Start slow and test a lot, answers will come.

Ya. :stupid1:

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

ohcarolina

ohcarolina

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Watch out for delicious microbrews- especially unfiltered ones! It's like eating a bagel! The beer snobs make fun of my Coors Lite until I tell them I'm diabetic. Then they feel bad and buy me drinks... heh heh. :cool:

I find that a glass of dry wine or some scotch before bed helps dampen my dawn phenomenon.

matingara

matingara

• 500 plus
  • 2,175 posts
Here is a link to the "Pure Blonde" low carb beer ad.

it is quite a hoot (IMHO).

:)

-- Joel.

YouTube - Pure Blonde beer ad
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
May 2010 : A1C (home) 5.5%: Feb 2010: A1C (home): 5.2% Oct 2009: A1C: 5.7%;
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,686 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1
I like Coopers Sparkling Ale, Stout, Pale Ale, And there is one other too.
The amount of whatever you drink is not affected until you see the hard stuff. Like Rum for instance, Then you will see a drop in BG real quick. Vodka is even faster!! :eek:
Hik*** Err whare is that beer... Arr there you are. :T

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,156 posts
As Evermont and Xmenace have said, the only way to really know is to test. Suppose it gives you a reason to have a couple of beers!

I had "some" beer last weekend and it worked out okay for me, but generally I stick to red wine as it works really well for me.

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,114 posts

The amount of whatever you drink is not affected until you see the hard stuff. Like Rum for instance, Then you will see a drop in BG real quick. Vodka is even faster!! :eek:
Hik*** Err whare is that beer... Arr there you are. :T

Wrong Peter. Alcohol from any drink can drop you low. I've had beer hypos. But you're probably right that hard stuff is more noticeable as there's next to nothing to bolus for.

I used to let beer's calories compensate for the low, but now I bolus for the carbs and reduce basal for the alcohol.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Emm

Emm

• 500 plus
  • 803 posts
I have no answer - other than to agree wholeheartedly with what Evermont says here:

You gotta test to know. Do some quasi scientific sampling. Eat and exercise so that you know pretty well what to expect and let your meter decide how much of which and what you can do. That's all.

I think that's the best advice you could ever get on the matter :)

And while we're talking about beer and funny commercials...
YouTube - Best Beer Commercial ever

Taking on diabetes one meal at a time.
.....and winning :)

buddy7

buddy7

• 500 plus
  • 2,526 posts
Don't drink my-self, I've always believe in the theory, alcohol and med's are a bad mixed, I suppose some harm can be caused, if you're habitual, and makes it a practice of becoming constantly paralytic.

B/7 ESSEX UK.

jerryn

jerryn

• 500 plus
  • 634 posts

I'm not a big alchol drinker, but I occassionally do have a bear or two or wine.

I'm a new type 2. I've read in this forums about wine etc. So drinking wine doesn't increase the BS that much. What about low carb beers? (like budlight or coorslight). How many beers (say in a can) do you drink and not worry about BS levels? :cheers:

Are you on Bayetta or Metfomin? Both don't mix well with alchohol. I haven't had a bear for a while now. Bayetta has been know to cause pancreatitis for patients that only had a few drinks. Also metformin is brutal on the liver. I actally want to reduce my metformin intake and check to see if a glass of wine before bed will reduce my fasting glucose levels. I think the wine is easier on the liver than the metformin is.
My liver is ok, but it is getting beat up by the Metformin. The Albumin is on the high side of normal. It used to be just below mid-normal.

shutterbug

shutterbug

• 500 plus
  • 778 posts
Jerry,
I'm taking metformin. From what you are saying, I guess beer and metformin doesn't go well together!
Posted Image

Diagnosed - 02/28/08

A1C - (8/10/2009= 5.7; 03/02/09 = 5.6 ; 12/29/08 = 5.8 ; 09/17/08 = 5.5 ; 05/27/08 = 5.7 ; 04/03/08 = 7.7 ; 02/29/08 = 10.1)

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,686 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1

And while we're talking about beer and funny commercials...

OK Emma, You know what I like, Can you see a particular beer comercial that I would pick?
MMmm... I need some beer to go with dinner.

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

williamcrawford

williamcrawford

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
If you're not a "heavy" drinker, you probably don't drink a lot of liquor. Yet, from a standpoint of carbs, it's your best option. Basic "hard" liquors like vodka, whiskey, gin, even rum are distilled. The end product has no sugars left because they are used up in the distilling process. So, if mixed with diet soda, soda water, or low sugar mixers they are fine.

Dryer wine equal less sugar, though tread lightly, there are so many different wines and wine makers, they vary.

Beer is the same way. "So many beers, so little time."
A regular beer, like Budweiser or MGD, has about 1 carb per 1 ounce. The light version of these beers has about about half of that. BEWARE, MICRO BEERS AND SPECIALTY BEERS CAN HAVE UP TO 25 CARBS FOR A 12 OUNCE BOTTLE. For example, Guiness, Sam Adams, Newcastle and many more. You can google it to find out more specifics about certain beers and wines.

Well I hope that helps.
Just because you're diabetic it doesn't mean you're not human.
CHEERS!!!!

solox316

solox316

• 500 plus
  • 522 posts
Article in last week's Diabetes Forcast spoke of benefits for people with diabetes to drink 2-3 drinks per day. This was as long as alcohol was a part of your lifestyle already. I thought that was a bit much... I have a beer with dinner/prep 4-5 nights per week.
scott

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts

I used to be a Mountain Dew fiend. Are you saying that I should have been an alcoholic instead? ;)

amandadawn222

amandadawn222

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Chris,

I was just at my endocrinologists the other day and she states that women should have no more than 9 drinks a week and men should have no more than 14 drinks a week...she also stated that these shouldn't be saved for 1 time :T

I drink red wine and white wine and I find that my blood levels don't go up or down....margaritas and pina coladas on the other hand will make my sky rocket!

Another thing, regarding a good light beer.....when I do drink beer I will have Sleeman Clears, they are not only a lo-carb beer, it's one of the best tasting beers I have ever had!

Hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users