- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Sic

Sic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi! Im new here, so as i was able to see thers no subjeckt like this! So, i have diabetes for 6 months now and im in remision, age 20! I calculate carbs every day and eat about 150-200g for glucose lvl about 6.5 (120 on american). I saw that mcdonnalds food have pretty much carbs especially frise! Anybody have experiance to share with mcdonald food?! (Thanks, and sorry for my bad english...)

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,114 posts
Bienvenue!

McDonalds is not food. It is food-like, but I don't consider any of it food. There's nothing healthy about it.

The carbs included are like pure sugar. They will spike your BGs; however, the high fat will slow this down and lead you to believe things are fine.

Seriously. Avoid all fast food chains as much as you can.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
+1 on avoiding fast food as a general rule... maybe OK as an occasional "treat" but once you get used to "real" healthy food, fast food will not taste so good anyway :D

If you must go there is nutrition info available here: McDonald's :: Our Food :: Nutritionally Calculator

Same as most of these places you can get fairly healthy if you are careful... they do have salads if you avoid the dressings, baco-bits etc... trouble is they use that nutritional empty iceburg lettuce :o

I especially love the way they now pretend to cater for the health conscious and offer choices for children like apple slices... with caramel dip!

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,000 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
If I eat at McDonald's, i'll usually get 6 piece chicken nuggets (no dipping sauce) and side salad.

There are 47 carbs in a Big Mac, 18 gms carbs in chicken nuggets, 72 carbs in Fish-Filet, 68 carbs in large fry, 28 carbs in the grilled chicken wrap. So..if you ate a big mac and fries...you'd have tons of carbs.

McDonald's French Fries - Large French Fries nutrition information - Food Labels - DietFacts.com

dietfacts.com is a website that lists different foods by brand name and common restaurants and lists nutritional information.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Sic

Sic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was thinking like eating double cheeseburger and fries! Its about 65 carbs for meal, witch i can "survive" if GI(glycemic index) is not too high! I know its very unhealthy food but i ws thinkin like going once every month or 2, couse i loved it, and now i realy miss it :)

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
Diabetes doesn't mean that there are foods you can never have again :) Of course you can fit an occasional Big Mac in with an otherwise healthy diet... same as you can have chocolate, ice cream etc... it's just that you have to be aware of what you are eating and how it affects your blood glucose; which you can only find out by testing :top:

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,166 posts
  • I am a:Type 2

There are 47 carbs in a Big Mac, 18 gms carbs in chicken nuggets, 72 carbs in Fish-Filet, 68 carbs in large fry, 28 carbs in the grilled chicken wrap.

Holy Moly, I haven't had a McDonalds in years but can't believe that there are so many carbs in the fish, I was right real meat is the only way to go! :D

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,196 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Double cheese burger and small fries is about 67 carbs. You are absolutely right about that. However, these foods are very high on the glycemic index and they are full of fat. When you combine the high glycemic foods with fat, you will get a blood sugar rebound. You may test at two hours and your blood sugar will be good, then three hours later you will be high. Make sure to test after the two hour mark and see what your blood sugar is doing. If you are type one and on insulin, you can then make a correction.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,114 posts

I was thinking like eating double cheeseburger and fries! Its about 65 carbs for meal, witch i can "survive" if GI(glycemic index) is not too high! I know its very unhealthy food but i ws thinkin like going once every month or 2, couse i loved it, and now i realy miss it :)

Stay away from all fast foods for three months, stick to a healthy diet, then report back with your experiences when you return.

I used to love them too; now I can't stand them. I had a McMuffin for breakfast on the road recently. I used to love their BFs. I felt like puking the rest of the trip :(

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,196 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Stay away from all fast foods for three months, stick to a healthy diet, then report back with your experiences when you return.

I used to love them too; now I can't stand them. I had a McMuffin for breakfast on the road recently. I used to love their BFs. I felt like puking the rest of the trip :(

EXACTLY!!! I don't eat fast food as it makes me feel so sick. The last time I ate FF was when I was on the road (horrible highway 5) with no other place to get food. I felt sick for two days after eating it.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kim_in_TN

Kim_in_TN

• 500 plus
  • 766 posts
I have sworn off McDonalds or any other hamburger joint! I used to be a frequent drive-thru customer but now I don't miss them at all and actually the thought of them turns my stomach! My advice would be to wean yourself off of them as well! ;)
Type 2 - Dx 9/11/03 - A1c 8.3
2/01/08 - A1c 6.3
4/01/08 - A1c 5.9 :)
10/07/08 - A1c 5.4 :)
2/16/09 - A1c 6.4
2/04/10 - A1c 6.7 :(
8/26/11 - A1c 7.0 :( - Falling off the wagon!
12/02/11 - A1c 6.2

Started Insulin 12.12.2011
Novolog - lunch and supper;
Levemir - bedtime.
Benazepril - 10 mg.
Crestor - 10 mg.
Citalopram - 40 mg.
Aspirin - 81 mg.

Alice

Alice

• 500 plus
  • 1,587 posts
A single hamburger (no cheese) is not a terrible "fast meal" if you are in a pinch..or if you just love McD's. It's about 30 g carb or two carb servings.

The Big Mac is about 45 g carb but with a lot of sodium.

I have ordered their Asian Grilled Chicken Salad (vs the fried chicken) and they are pretty good. Watch out for the dressing...it's pretty high in carbs. You can pretty much have a Big Mac for the amount of carbs that dressing adds...

They provide nutritional info on the back of some of the "tray covers"...or just ask at the counter.

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,761 posts
I use to eat McDonald's at least 2-3 times a week (either breakfast, lunch, or dinner) and it never caused havoc with my BGs. I actually had it under great control. The problem is it caused my cholestrol to go up and by cutting it out it's dropped about 20. I will say I miss the taste though and hate spending twice as much to eat healthy now.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

shiftzor

shiftzor

• 500 plus
  • 1,019 posts
omg @ nutritional calculator, my "meal" that I might have had:

1% Partly Skimmed Chocolate Milk - 200 ml
French Fries - Large
Bacon Cheeseburger

1050 calories and 138g of carbs :( my mum would only allow me to eat at mcdonalds as a "treat" as a kid and now I wouldn't even touch one with a barge pole. Even chocolate would be better for you and won't make you feel like c**p after woulds :D

Pumping 20/05/2009 Animas 2020

CGMS coming soon...

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
I very rarely eat at any fast food restaurants, but when I do, I usually order a 4-pc chicken nugget with NO sauce. If I'm not mistaken, the nutritional info listed on the McD's box is 10g of carbs. I do, however, have to bolus for 15g because of the fat in the nuggets.

Karen

Scrabblechick

Scrabblechick

• 500 plus
  • 1,084 posts
McDonald's was a treat to us when we were kids, too. With my Dad having "D" we didn't do that sort of thing very often. I still eat the VERY occasional Egg McMuffin, but that's really it.

My fast food cravings (usually unsatisfied. LOL.) generally involve a chicken and biscuit from Jack's. Heh.
Glycemic impact diet; exercise (jujitsu, walking); Metformin 2000 mg;
Victoza, 1.2 mg per day; Enalapril 40 mg; Prevachol
A1C, 11-10: 5.2!:elefant:
A1C, 9-1-09: 5.3!!; A1C, 5-19-09: 5.1!; A1C, 2-12-09: 5.3!; A1C, 11-14-08: 5.2!; A1C, 8-7-08: 6.3; A1C, 5-1-08: 5.6; A1C, 2-5-08: 7.4

jacobsam622

jacobsam622

• 500 plus
  • 635 posts

Hi! Im new here, so as i was able to see thers no subjeckt like this! So, i have diabetes for 6 months now and im in remision, age 20! I calculate carbs every day and eat about 150-200g for glucose lvl about 6.5 (120 on american). I saw that mcdonnalds food have pretty much carbs especially frise! Anybody have experiance to share with mcdonald food?! (Thanks, and sorry for my bad english...)

Remission you dont go into remission Diabetes progressively gets worse. Lets see you can lose a foot or leg, go blind, have kidney and or liver failure, teeth fall-out, lose feeling in feet hands and stomach etc.

get on a good diet the life you will be saving is your own.

There are several diets you can follow south-beach, Atkins, sugar-busters, etc, etc,

None of these diets are totally correct.

When determining carbs subtract the fiber from total carbs. You can also subtract artificial sweeteners.

portion control is a must and do not get seconds

foods you can eat:

Meat, = Beef well trimmed, chicken, fish broiled or baked, eggs

Nuts - most nuts are low in carbs, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, any that have total carbs of less then 10g

spread buy no sugar added jelly or there are several reduced sugar, no sugar added Peanut butter

vegetables = almost anything but corn If you eat corn stick
with the small kernel corn on the cob.

sugar free ice cream, sugar free jello chocolate that has a
cocoa % >= 60%

Breads = whole grain or low carb whole grain.

pasta = whole grain

rice = brown rice

sodas = diet only

alcohol = Low carb beer, brands like Mich ultra, miller-lite, there is at two others. Red wine or wine that is at least 13% alcohol
tequila

avoid high carb food any anything with a lot of refined sugar

Fruit = try different ones to see how they effect your BS

Apples should not be eaten at meal time.

general rule if its brown then its OK for diabetes
Byetta 5mcg twice a day
Sugar busters life style
Exercise = cardio and running after twins Ben & Josh

"Oh for Pete's sake" -Ben "Let me think" - Josh

Ok Wildcards watch your six.

You too will be assimilated! You will become one with the Borg. You will all become one with the borg."

To lose this war means more than defeat. To surrender is to never go home. All of us must rise to the call above and beyond". Lt Col TC McQueen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HelenM

HelenM

• 500 plus
  • 1,029 posts
You say that you are 'in remission' . I'm assuming that means that you are type 1 'on honeymoon'.
As others have said the real problem with Mcdonalds is the fat rather than the carbs and the fat can cause a problem by delaying delaying the carb increase until much later after your meal. Over time you may learn ways to manipulate your insulin injections to get over this. Nevertheless many people believe a high fat diet is not good for anyone and particularly for people with diabetes.
Having said that I've eaten at Mcdonalds a handful of times (in three years) and have not suffered any dire consequences as the majority of the time I try to eat very healthily.

One point, what you do with fibre in your calculations depends on where you live.
Jacobsam mentions that you should deduct fibre from the carb count. This is true if you live in the US (and I think Canada) but not in Europe where the fibre content has already been deducted from the carbs.
eg. A quarter pounder with cheese in the US is listed as having 40 gms of of carbs and 3 gms of fibre
In the UK it is listed as 36gms of carbs and 4 gms of fibre.
In the US you would deduct 3 gms making 37 gms carbs
In the UK you would leave it at 36gms carbs and not subtract the fibre.
(I expect the difference is due to rounding errors)

alicat61

alicat61

• 500 plus
  • 1,242 posts

Remission you dont go into remission Diabetes progressively gets worse. Lets see you can lose a foot or leg, go blind, have kidney and or liver failure, teeth fall-out, lose feeling in feet hands and stomach etc.

get on a good diet the life you will be saving is your own.

There are several diets you can follow south-beach, Atkins, sugar-busters, etc, etc,

None of these diets are totally correct.

When determining carbs subtract the fiber from total carbs. You can also subtract artificial sweeteners.

portion control is a must and do not get seconds

foods you can eat:

Meat, = Beef well trimmed, chicken, fish broiled or baked, eggs

Nuts - most nuts are low in carbs, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, any that have total carbs of less then 10g

spread buy no sugar added jelly or there are several reduced sugar, no sugar added Peanut butter

vegetables = almost anything but corn If you eat corn stick
with the small kernel corn on the cob.

sugar free ice cream, sugar free jello chocolate that has a
cocoa % >= 60%

Breads = whole grain or low carb whole grain.

pasta = whole grain

rice = brown rice

sodas = diet only

alcohol = Low carb beer, brands like Mich ultra, miller-lite, there is at two others. Red wine or wine that is at least 13% alcohol
tequila

avoid high carb food any anything with a lot of refined sugar

Fruit = try different ones to see how they effect your BS

Apples should not be eaten at meal time.

general rule if its brown then its OK for diabetes

:) Hi
The above diet choices are good but you also have to remember
that type 2 is slightly different to type 1 as in the fact insulin is used to cover extra carbs. Also weight loss is usually not an issue
Also at 20 were do all your mates eat so the occasional Macdonalds isn't the end of the earth. Diabetes causes major changes in your life and to totaly give up everything you enjoy will cause you to go into denial mode.( and you shouldn't have to give up everything)
as long as you calculate the extra carbs and correct them with exercise and insulin.
Also I'm just curios as why you can't eat apples with meals I have been diabetic for nearly 26 years and have never heard that one before. (sorry my spelling is not good )

Take care from Alicat61:)

On 5th May 2010 had a Lap Band fitted
Has changed my life
Humalog only if needed. (BGL above 6mmols)
Lantus daily
Metformin 1gm 3x a day
Propranalol 40 mgs 2 x a day

Emm

Emm

• 500 plus
  • 803 posts
McDonalds here in New Zealand must be a bit different - our Filet-O-Fish is 30.5g carb. Which to me is just too much, mainly because it's hard to eat a little burger like that without the chips!

The kiwi nutritional info is here

I don't mind splurging every now & then, but 30g on one thing is too much for me! I try to stick to around 30g of carb or less per meal, and it's sooo much easier if that's slower acting carbs.

Taking on diabetes one meal at a time.
.....and winning :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users