- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Dumb_Don

Dumb_Don

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am very concerned that since starting metaformin a year ago 500mg and in the last 5 months 500x2 mg I have lost nearly 8 Kg with no change in diet!!! There is no medical reference to this 'side - effect'!!!! I know it is a good thing to loose weight but not knowing why when I am in PR from a HCL-V a very rare leukemia.

I was first alerted to HCL-V when I lost weight and night sweating.

My A1c is 7.6% - still high.

mzteacher

mzteacher

• 500 plus
  • 2,146 posts
hi don,
i don't have any answers for you...but glad you found us...a terrific source of information and inspiration!! i am very sorry for your health issues...good luck in finding the answers you seek...
welcome!
susan

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,079 posts
Hey Don,

Welcome to the forums, its a great place for information. The only thing I can offer in relation to Metformin is that it has helped me lose weight as I honestly feel it is working as an appetite suppressant. I used to be constantly hungry (possibly due to undiagnosed diabetes?) but since I started on Met I don't get hungry, I now eat because it's mealtime and not because I'm hungry.

You mention your A1c is 7.6 and still high, how long are you on Met, what was your first A1c, are you watching carbs etc?
Posted Image

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 14u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.
Most recent A1c 20/11/13: 11.6% <= back where I started

shutterbug

shutterbug

• 500 plus
  • 778 posts
Don,
Welcome to the forum. I was recently diagnosed and my nurse practitioner told me that metformin helps in weight loss

Metformin (Glucophage) for weight loss

I understand that metformin apart from being prescribed for type 2 diabetes, is also prescribed for weight loss for obese people. I'm on metformin for the past 1 1/2 months and have lost 10 lbs. But, I was on a diet control too so I'm not sure if and what role metformin played in my diet. But, I don't carve for food as I used to.
Posted Image

Diagnosed - 02/28/08

A1C - (8/10/2009= 5.7; 03/02/09 = 5.6 ; 12/29/08 = 5.8 ; 09/17/08 = 5.5 ; 05/27/08 = 5.7 ; 04/03/08 = 7.7 ; 02/29/08 = 10.1)

Dumb_Don

Dumb_Don

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Don,
Welcome to the forum. I was recently diagnosed and my nurse practitioner told me that metformin helps in weight loss

[url=http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/N117.htm]Metformin (Glucophage) for weight loss[/url]

I understand that metformin apart from being prescribed for type 2 diabetes, is also prescribed for weight loss for obese people. I'm on metformin for the past 1 1/2 months and have lost 10 lbs. But, I was on a diet control too so I'm not sure if and what role metformin played in my diet. But, I don't carve for food as I used to.

Thanks for the information - 10lbs is equivalent to 4.5kg so my weight loss is possible.

Another problem which may be related to rapid weight loss is that I appear to have gout - not in the large toe but my elbow - looking into this!!!!

Dumb_Don

Dumb_Don

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hey Don,

Welcome to the forums, its a great place for information. The only thing I can offer in relation to Metformin is that it has helped me lose weight as I honestly feel it is working as an appetite suppressant. I used to be constantly hungry (possibly due to undiagnosed diabetes?) but since I started on Met I don't get hungry, I now eat because it's mealtime and not because I'm hungry.

You mention your A1c is 7.6 and still high, how long are you on Met, what was your first A1c, are you watching carbs etc?

I was diagonised with diabetes type 2 ten years ago - it was related to my leukemia treatment at the time to reduce the size of my spleen (was still 3.3kg when removed!!!) - with the chemo was large doses of prendislone - my oncologist kept checking for diabetes as this could be caused by prendislone and he was right.

I could keep A1c about 6% with diet and exercise but last year as A1c reached 7.6% he started me on 500mg of metaformin XR but A1c is still about 7.6% with 500x2mg per day.

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,079 posts
Don,

When did you last see your Doctor, have you seen him since you starting losing weight. As I'm sure you are well aware, diabetes is progressive, perhaps you need to review where you are and if you need to change meds or up the dose your are on and at the same time talk about the weight loss.
Posted Image

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 14u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.
Most recent A1c 20/11/13: 11.6% <= back where I started

patricia52

patricia52

• 500 plus
  • 2,506 posts
When I first started Metformin, my doctor told me it would cause me to lose weight. I was happy to hear that but so far it has not worked for me.
Patricia

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Lantus
Apidra
Diet & Exercise
Most recent A1C 5.6

TeeJaxx

TeeJaxx

• 500 plus
  • 176 posts

When I first started Metformin, my doctor told me it would cause me to lose weight. I was happy to hear that but so far it has not worked for me.

Me Too! I'm on 5 Metformin a day - 2 with breakfast, and 3 with supper. Although I do admit that I have very little interest in food. I only eat because I know I have to. I know I've reduced my portions ALOT, but I can't say that I've lost any weight!:(
Diagnosed in Jan. 2004
Currently on Metformin x5 a day
Avapro x 1 a day
Diamicron x 1 a day

POSTCARD EXCHANGE ROUND 2
20 SENT
7 RECIEVED

Thank you : Kathi
Vickie
Val
Keith
Gretchen
David
Ellie

Dumb_Don

Dumb_Don

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Don,

When did you last see your Doctor, have you seen him since you starting losing weight. As I'm sure you are well aware, diabetes is progressive, perhaps you need to review where you are and if you need to change meds or up the dose your are on and at the same time talk about the weight loss.

Been to the doctor once a week for the last three weeks- going tomorrow - since I may have gout - waiting the results of a 24 hour urine test. Blood test last week - cholesterol 3.0, kidney and liver functions OK, A1c 7.6%. I talk about the weight lose but he just said 'Good'. Full Blood test in Dec 2007 shows same results as I get every year - Lymphocytes about twice normal.

Just to complete the story I have an under active thyroid - take Oroxine and high blood pressure treated with Avapro.

This morning on getting out of bed BG 5.9mmol/L three hours after breakfast 5.3mmol/L (x18 to get to mg/dL) - looks good!!!

Thanks everyone for your interest.

jacobsam622

jacobsam622

• 500 plus
  • 635 posts

I am very concerned that since starting metaformin a year ago 500mg and in the last 5 months 500x2 mg I have lost nearly 8 Kg with no change in diet!!! There is no medical reference to this 'side - effect'!!!! I know it is a good thing to loose weight but not knowing why when I am in PR from a HCL-V a very rare leukemia.

I was first alerted to HCL-V when I lost weight and night sweating.

My A1c is 7.6% - still high.

Yes there is they and I quote, "Less serious side effects may include:
headache or muscle pain;
weakness; or
mild nausesa, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, stomach pain."

My twins had the flu for five days and lost 5 pounds and they didnt have half these symptoms.;)
Byetta 5mcg twice a day
Sugar busters life style
Exercise = cardio and running after twins Ben & Josh

"Oh for Pete's sake" -Ben "Let me think" - Josh

Ok Wildcards watch your six.

You too will be assimilated! You will become one with the Borg. You will all become one with the borg."

To lose this war means more than defeat. To surrender is to never go home. All of us must rise to the call above and beyond". Lt Col TC McQueen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dumb_Don

Dumb_Don

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Yes there is they and I quote, "Less serious side effects may include:
headache or muscle pain;
weakness; or
mild nausesa, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, stomach pain."

My twins had the flu for five days and lost 5 pounds and they didnt have half these symptoms.;)

I am aware of the 'side effects' you have listed but no mention of weight lose!!!!

jacobsam622

jacobsam622

• 500 plus
  • 635 posts
I think you missed the point or at least the irony of it all:D . If all the food is coming back out you are going to lose weight. I dint recommend this course of action if you are trying to gain weight. "mild nausesa, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, stomach pain"
Byetta 5mcg twice a day
Sugar busters life style

You too will be assimilated! You will become one with the Borg. You will all become one with the borg."

To lose this war means more than defeat. To surrender is to never go home. All of us must rise to the call above and beyond". Lt Col TC McQueen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dumb_Don

Dumb_Don

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I think you missed the point or at least the irony of it all:D . If all the food is coming back out you are going to lose weight. I dint recommend this course of action if you are trying to gain weight. "mild nausesa, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, stomach pain"

Sorry for taking it too serious - the gout treatment my doctor told me to do was "Take two tablets immediately and one every 2 hours until you get diarrhea then stop." Now that is a side effect!!!!

Lloyd

Lloyd

• 500 plus
  • 1,867 posts
Metformin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It also does not cause weight gain, and may indeed produce minor weight loss.[13]

It's pretty much weight neutral, most other oral t2 meds promote weight gain.

-Lloyd

2014 A1c 5.4 5.6   2013 5.3 4.9 5.2 5.2
2012 5.3 5.2 5.1 5.0
2011 5.0 5.0 5.2 5.0 2010 5.3 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4
2009 5.4 5.4 5.3 5.2 2008 5.0 5.1 5.2 4.9 4.9
2007 5.3 5.5 5.7<---Pump 6.9 (Mix)
2006 (Lantus) 7.8 8.5 8.7 7.1
2005 8.4 6.9 7.4 2004 6.2 5.6 6.4 6.0 (Pills)

dangerkitty

dangerkitty

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
When I first started Metformin, my body freaked out and lost around 10kgs. Mostly from the side effects I think. It really suppressed my appetite plus I was having poo issues too. So it can cause you to lose weight. I have been on it for a few days again and have noticed a 1 kg drop.

"Often the test of courage is not to die but to live." ~Conte Vittorio Alfieri
Type II Insulin Dependent w/Metformin 1000mg 2xdaily
Dx April 2002 A1c--17.5%
Feb 06 A1c-- 10.2%
October 06 A1c--6.8%
Current A1c--5.8%

Dumb_Don

Dumb_Don

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

When I first started Metformin, my body freaked out and lost around 10kgs. Mostly from the side effects I think. It really suppressed my appetite plus I was having poo issues too. So it can cause you to lose weight. I have been on it for a few days again and have noticed a 1 kg drop.

Thank you for your reply - I have not noticed a large change in the poo department - I have had slightly loose bowels ever since I had my spleen removed 10 years ago. I am convinced Metaformin is the cause of the weight loss and may also be part of the gout story ie joint pains.

I have changed to taking metaformin at night instead of the morning - BG this morning 6mmol/L which is OK!!!!

jacobsam622

jacobsam622

• 500 plus
  • 635 posts
Diabetes medicine does not cause you to gain weight your body does. When you start losing weight because of the diabetes its because you dump out all the calories into your urine so you start to lose weight. Diabetes meds does one of about three things two of which will make you gain weight. Actos and meds of its kind sensitize the cells so they will accept glucose. Meds like Amaryl tell your pancreas to produce more insulin. Metformin Sensitizes and stops glucose production by your liver. The only way to keep from gaining weight once you start on the meds is to burn the same amount of calories your body was dumping into the urine. Metformin also decreases the amount of sugar the intestines absorb. So some sugar may still be getting dumped into the urine. Just a thought!
Byetta 5mcg twice a day
Sugar busters life style

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leavenfish

Leavenfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Over almost 6 months, I've lost almost 14 lbs. I'm on 500mg Metformin once a day. I really think the weight loss however is a result of a reworking of my diet and about 45 min exercies -brisk walking, hilly landscape 5 days a week. I weigh 145 lbs. I really eat plenty...and more often during a day, just less at one time and I probably take in 45 grams of fiber a day. I do have rather a lot of gas.

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,418 posts
  • I am a:Type 2

I really eat plenty...and more often during a day, just less at one time and I probably take in 45 grams of fiber a day. I do have rather a lot of gas.

If you're getting your fiber by eating a lot of vegetables and the gas bothers you, you might try Beano. Beano provides your body with enzymes that you need to help digest certain foods like vegetables and beans.. If your body is lacking these enzymes, it doesn't digest the food properly and gas results.
You can get Beano at most food stores and pharmacies.
Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(If at first you don't succeed, give up. The d*mn thing probably wasn't worth it anyway.):D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users