Photo

difference between "A1c" and "glycated hemoglobin"?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts
While going through my time-of-DX hospital records, I noticed "glycated hemoglobin" of 19.0%. The reference range was <I forget the low end> to 7.8%, so it's apparently different than A1c... but I was even more over-the-top on that value.

Web searches tell me "glycated hemoglobin = A1c"... but the paperwork does not corroborate.

This perplexes me. Any thoughts?

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,111 posts
It's your A1C.

Glycosylated hemoglobin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts

It's your A1C.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HbA1c]Glycosylated hemoglobin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Ehhh... I did the Google/Wikipedia thing already, looong before posting, and would tend to believe that... except one test showing 12.9% and another test showing 19.0%? That seems to be a bit of a divergence, even accounting for different methods...

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,111 posts

Ehhh... I did the Google/Wikipedia thing already, looong before posting, and would tend to believe that... except one test showing 12.9% and another test showing 19.0%? That seems to be a bit of a divergence, even accounting for different methods...

I hope you don't put 100% faith in any lab test. I sure don't. lab test errors - Google Search
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts

I hope you don't put 100% faith in any lab test. I sure don't. [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=lab+test+errors&rls=com.microsoft:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1]lab test errors - Google Search[/url]

Nope.

But both tests were performed at the hospital, within 24 hours of one another. And 12.9 and 19.0 are very different numbers. And, again, the reference ranges differed significantly...

...so I wondered if anyone else had any clues. I thought that I might be overlooking something simple and obvious.

Lloyd

Lloyd

• 500 plus
  • 1,902 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
There ARE 2 sets of numbers. One is a percentage, the other a raw number.
The percentage is what gets used.

2014 A1c 5.4 5.6 5.8   2013 5.3 4.9 5.2 5.2
2012 5.3 5.2 5.1 5.0
2011 5.0 5.0 5.2 5.0 2010 5.3 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4
2009 5.4 5.4 5.3 5.2 2008 5.0 5.1 5.2 4.9 4.9
2007 5.3 5.5 5.7<---Pump 6.9 (Mix)
2006 (Lantus) 7.8 8.5 8.7 7.1
2005 8.4 6.9 7.4 2004 6.2 5.6 6.4 6.0 (Pills)

BlueSky

BlueSky

• 500 plus
  • 2,566 posts
The only other test I know of is the fructosamine test, but I would have expected it to be referred to as a "glycated protein" test.
In my humble opinion :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 since 1977
MDI using Lantus, Novorapid and Actrapid

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts

There ARE 2 sets of numbers. One is a percentage, the other a raw number.

I thought both numbers were expressed as percentages. (Where did I put that packet?)

The only other test I know of is the fructosamine test, but I would have expected it to be referred to as a "glycated protein" test.

I'm certain that it said "hemoglobin".

I'll dig out the packet, reread to see if I'm in error about percentage/"hemoglobin", and take it from there. Thanks for the leads, guys! :)

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts
I wonder if both numbers were indeed A1c tests, performed via different methods.

I should mention that, during the two months prior to DX, I'd been taking large quantities of vitamin C -- 55-80 g/day, with 65 g/day on average. Perhaps the high ascorbic acid consumption affected different tests differently.

[url=http://www.groupsrv.com/science/about14670.html]Vitamin C, glycation, glycohemoglobin and aging[/url]

Or, maybe it was what Lloyd said. Where did I put that packet?

jacobsam622

jacobsam622

• 500 plus
  • 635 posts
There are several types of hemoglobin in a red blood cell. The glycosylated Hemoglobin measures how much sugar is stuck to all of The different kinds of hemoglobin in a red blood cell while the hemoglobin A1c measures how much sugar is stuck to a particular kind of hemoglobin - hemoglobin A1. The normal range for the A1C is about 2% lower then the total glycosylated Hemoglobin Levels.
Byetta 5mcg twice a day
Sugar busters life style
Exercise = cardio and running after twins Ben & Josh

"Oh for Pete's sake" -Ben "Let me think" - Josh

Ok Wildcards watch your six.

You too will be assimilated! You will become one with the Borg. You will all become one with the borg."

To lose this war means more than defeat. To surrender is to never go home. All of us must rise to the call above and beyond". Lt Col TC McQueen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts

There are several types of hemoglobin in a red blood cell. The glycosylated Hemoglobin measures how much sugar is stuck to all of The different kinds of hemoglobin in a red blood cell while the hemoglobin A1c measures how much sugar is stuck to a particular kind of hemoglobin - hemoglobin A1. The normal range for the A1C is about 2% lower then the total glycosylated Hemoglobin Levels.

This meshes well, considering that the top end of the "glycated hemoglobin" range was 7.8% -- which is indeed about two percentage points above the top end of the A1c range.

Thanks. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users