- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

oregonfran

oregonfran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 1999. I would like to know How many carbs people eat, each meal and total for the day. I have seen several amounts suggested. I usually try for 30 to 40 carbs per meal....
Thanks,
Fran

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,118 posts
Welcome. :D

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Tashia

Tashia

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Hello!

I personally try not to eat over 25 per meal and 15 for snacks. I'm sure everyone is different. I notice that anything over 25 carbs gives me a huge spike.
[SIGPIC]http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11411&dateline=1207357240[/SIGPIC]

jacobsam622

jacobsam622

• 500 plus
  • 635 posts
I don't count carbs.

I do not eat foods that have a lot of sugar and I don't eat any white foods. I don't eat white rice, white bread of any-kind (bagels, English muffin, muffins, white sandwich bread , hot-dog rolls, Hamburger rolls etc. ) or regular pasta. :(

What I can eat; any kind of meat, eggs, sugar free jello and sugar free or no sugar added ice cream, an veggies except corn, (I will eat small kernel white corn on the cob) brown rice, whole wheat bread (low carb when I can find it). whole grain pasta. Nuts of all kind:D Basically I follow a modified sugar busters diet.
Byetta 5mcg twice a day
Sugar busters life style
Exercise = cardio and running after twins Ben & Josh

"Oh for Pete's sake" -Ben "Let me think" - Josh

Ok Wildcards watch your six.

You too will be assimilated! You will become one with the Borg. You will all become one with the borg."

To lose this war means more than defeat. To surrender is to never go home. All of us must rise to the call above and beyond". Lt Col TC McQueen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shutterbug

shutterbug

• 500 plus
  • 778 posts
Carbs intake is recommened based on your weight (and BMI) and how much you are trying to loose etc.

Here's what my nutriotionist gave me:

Breakfast - 15-20
mid-morning snack < 15
Lunch and dinner 45-60 (I usually stay with-in 30-45)
mid afternoon snack < 15

This is working for me so far :)
Posted Image

Diagnosed - 02/28/08

A1C - (8/10/2009= 5.7; 03/02/09 = 5.6 ; 12/29/08 = 5.8 ; 09/17/08 = 5.5 ; 05/27/08 = 5.7 ; 04/03/08 = 7.7 ; 02/29/08 = 10.1)

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,044 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Hi Fran, welcome. You'll find lots of different answers here to your question on carbs. Perhaps the easiest way for you to determine what will best work for you is to test your blood sugar 2 hrs after your first bite of food and see how various foods affect you. You'll be able to make smarter food choices this way. We're all different in the foods we can tolerate, so eating "by your meter" is a good way to go.

Like the above poster, I avoid the "white" foods and usually have a very low-carb breakfast (as my morning #s are always a few points above what they should be). Carb-wise, I'm usually between 75-100 carbs/day....sometimes less.

I pretty much eat a lot of the same things every day....i'm a "picky" eater, so it works well for me.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
Hi Fran & Welcome!

As you will find, no two diabetics are alike, therefore, carbohydrate intake varies from person to person. I'm a type 1pumper and I limit my carb intake to under 100g a day.

Karen

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1

Hi Fran & Welcome!

As you will find, no two diabetics are alike, therefore, carbohydrate intake varies from person to person. I'm a type 1pumper and I limit my carb intake to under 100g a day.

Karen

Hi Fran,

Very true what Karen said . . . . I limit my carbs more strictly than most. Usually 40 or less per day.
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

natayo

natayo

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Fran,

I try to keep it around 100 grams a day. Following advice from other posts, testing after each meal helps find out what you can and cannot get away with. For example, after breakfast numbers are my highest of the day. So I try to avoid carbs in the morning. But I am able to eat more carbs at dinner. So 0-10 at breakfast, 30 at lunch, and 50 for dinner, with an apple or veggies for snacks.

art

art

• 500 plus
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
  • I am a:Type 2
My Doc told me 60 carbs per meal 3 times a day.
I usually eat around 30-40 per meal.

Art

Scrabblechick

Scrabblechick

• 500 plus
  • 1,084 posts
Welcome to the forums, Fran and Debbie!

Debbie, if you asked for a show of hands of who actually LIKES this disease, you wouldn't get many takers on this forum. LOL.

Night sugar is a problem for many of us. Some people swear by a small glass of wine before bed. Others (like me) eat a protein-y snack before bedtime. I have found that helps. Why? It gives your liver something to do besides dump glucose. Diabetics have very confused, mixed-up livers, I've found. Our livers tend to want to dump glucose at the most inappropriate times, and usually when it is least needed.

Here's something I've learned, from this forum, and by experience: change doesn't happen overnight with this thing. It took me about 6 weeks on Metformin to really start seeing good numbers, and I was following my diet and exercising. You may not see instant improvement in your morning BG levels even after improving your diet. Give it some time. I know what you mean. When I make a change, I want to see the results YESTERDAY! But that's not how this thing works, unfortunately.

For both Fran and Debbie, "eating by your meter" as they say, is BY FAR the best way to get a handle on things. When you know what your body is doing, you then know how to deal with it.

For instance (I've posted this before), rice bugs me. Big time. Sends my BG right into orbit. French fries, however, don't bother me, as long as I don't eat the whole container. I can split an order of fries with my DH and eat my burger with no bun, and not suffer too much. Did that tonight, in fact, and my 2 hour post meal (PP) was 116. Not too shabby! Of course, I'd rather eat rice, but what affects one diabetic immediately may have little or no effect on another one. Nature of the beast. That's why eating by your meter is so helpful. Shows you right away what bothers you, so you can avoid that food, or have it only as a treat once in a while.

I'm one of the 100 or so carbs per day people. I find that's an attainable goal for me that doesn't make me feel too deprived or cranky, leaves me a smidge of wiggle room, and works well with my BG levels.

Help, advice and encouragement are available here, just for the asking. Especially the encouragement part. Crucial.

Glad you both found us! :)
Glycemic impact diet; exercise (jujitsu, walking); Metformin 2000 mg;
Victoza, 1.2 mg per day; Enalapril 40 mg; Prevachol
A1C, 11-10: 5.2!:elefant:
A1C, 9-1-09: 5.3!!; A1C, 5-19-09: 5.1!; A1C, 2-12-09: 5.3!; A1C, 11-14-08: 5.2!; A1C, 8-7-08: 6.3; A1C, 5-1-08: 5.6; A1C, 2-5-08: 7.4

kstreeter513

kstreeter513

• 500 plus
  • 283 posts
I'm a type 1 pumper, and a heavy carber. I eat from 70-100 grams of carbs for each meal, and 15-40 carbs per snack. (big appetite). Unfortunately for you though, I can cover carbs with insulin and maintain good control. Find out what works best for you and stick with it. Thats the key to success.:)

pdxdennisj

pdxdennisj

• 500 plus
  • 578 posts
I aim for 40 per meal.
PDXDENNISJDx 1/92
2x 850mg Metformin
2x 15u NPN
2x 10 Byetta

Phonelady61

Phonelady61

• 500 plus
  • 110 posts
I aim for less than 40 per meal it is so hard to find any foods that we can really eat and every party I go to is a bummer cause they dont bother to put food on the table we can eat and there excuse is well we did not think you would really come . sorry .

forlornjohn

forlornjohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This little calculator may be useful...it is only approximate.

[url=http://www.healthcalculators.org/index.html]UMMS: Health Calculators[/url]

Dan Gato

Dan Gato

• 500 plus
  • 458 posts
Fran,

Welcome to DF !!
You received good advise from the above posters.
Controlling carbs is a key to good A1C's.
How was your latest A1C?
Latest A1C
Aprl '10...5.8
Feb '09 ..5.4
Aug '08...5.2
Feb '08...5.5
Dec '07...5.2

pegasus

pegasus

• 500 plus
  • 205 posts
This can help calculations also:

NutritionData BMI & Calories Burned Calculator

jaime7803

jaime7803

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
this also brings to mind another carb quandary, in foods such as saltines, when they state the carbs on the box as per container, is that a package or the entire box????? i'd say logically they mean per package, but i dunno? thanks!!!! ;)

Kubilee

Kubilee

• 500 plus
  • 477 posts

I don't count carbs.

I do not eat foods that have a lot of sugar and I don't eat any white foods. I don't eat white rice, white bread of any-kind (bagels, English muffin, muffins, white sandwich bread , hot-dog rolls, Hamburger rolls etc. ) or regular pasta. :(

What I can eat; any kind of meat, eggs, sugar free jello and sugar free or no sugar added ice cream, an veggies except corn, (I will eat small kernel white corn on the cob) brown rice, whole wheat bread (low carb when I can find it). whole grain pasta. Nuts of all kind:D Basically I follow a modified sugar busters diet.

This is basically my plan of attack, and it works for me... I was never much of a "sugar" freak anyway so I do pretty good following something very similar to this......rice and bread were easy to cut, I didn't like them anyway..... lol

But I go crazy if I try and start counting carbs, most of the time, in fact, about 80% of the time, my carbs are so low it doesn't even matter and it was stressing me out FAR more trying to keep count of them and I just stopped doing it and have been doing a LOT better since.... just keep out the "whites" except once in awhile..... I AM a pasta freak, so I can't cut them out completely. lol
I am a Type II, DX - 5/11/07
Meds - Metformin 425MG 3x daily

JohnHenry

JohnHenry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm Type 1, so my answer might not be relevant. I'm pretty active and I have a hefty appetite. I'll usually have 70-110g of carbs for lunch and dinner, and around 60g for breakfast. Since eating any carbs without insulin seems to send my glucose sky high, snacks are always 10g or less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users