- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,105 posts
Hi,

I'm having a bit of neck and shoulder pain at the moment, it occurs maybe once or twice a year. I get it across my shoulders and sometimes up into the back of my head and down the top of my arms. I went through a barrage of tests with my Doctor a few years ago and we could not find any cause, Doc suspects it may be stress, he might be right ;)

Anyhow, Sunday night I had a bad nights sleep, woke at about 2.30am and slept badly for the rest of the night, I could feel the neck pain starting. Guess that's what I get for going to be too early (10.30pm) on Sunday. I was so tired yesterday morning I took a day off work.

One of my work colleagues is a Type 1 and said that his wife had been told by a pharmacist that diabetics should not take ibuprofen. I would normally take ibuprofen to get some relief when this pain hits, I'm not a big pill taker (other than the ones I have to take ;) ) but I did find that the ibuprofen worked for me for this pain.

Now I'm a little confused, because my colleague was fairly certain that I should avoid ibuprofen, yet I know I saw posts here where people had mentioned using it.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks
Posted Image

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 14u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.
Most recent A1c 20/11/13: 11.6% <= back where I started

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,813 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I think it can be a problem if you have any kidney compromise, then you should avoid ibuprofen and other anti-inflammatories. When my mom was in renal failure, she wasn't supposed to take any of these type meds.

I still take ibuprofen whenever my neck/shoulder acts up with no problems. I think most of the problems come from chronic use of these meds.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Scrabblechick

Scrabblechick

• 500 plus
  • 1,084 posts
I try not to take any more pills than necessary, myself. However, I have periodic flare-ups of pain in my shoulder, from constant computer use. The ONLY thing that gives me relief is naproxen (another NSAID like ibuprofen). It's a trade-off to me. I'd rather risk it now and be able to sleep than lose sleep because I'm hurting, which in turn runs up my blood pressure, and eventually, my BG, because of the stress of the pain.

I just try to take it at the lowest effective dose for the shortest possible amount of time. Oh--and get a heating pad if you don't have one. They're great for this kind of pain. Also, see if your dear wife will be willing to rub your neck and shoulders for you. That's also a help.
Glycemic impact diet; exercise (jujitsu, walking); Metformin 2000 mg;
Victoza, 1.2 mg per day; Enalapril 40 mg; Prevachol
A1C, 11-10: 5.2!:elefant:
A1C, 9-1-09: 5.3!!; A1C, 5-19-09: 5.1!; A1C, 2-12-09: 5.3!; A1C, 11-14-08: 5.2!; A1C, 8-7-08: 6.3; A1C, 5-1-08: 5.6; A1C, 2-5-08: 7.4

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
I'm a type 1 pumper and my doctor prescribes me 800-mg of Ibuprofen for lower back pain that I get on occasion.

As Princesslinda mentioned, it may not be recommended if a person has kidney problems.

Karen

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,105 posts
Thanks guys, as I said I'm not a pill-popper, but could do with some relief, I've no kidney problems so I think I'll take some before bed, want/need a good nights sleep tonight.
Posted Image

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 14u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.
Most recent A1c 20/11/13: 11.6% <= back where I started

pdxdennisj

pdxdennisj

• 500 plus
  • 578 posts
The only thing that I can think of is that Ibuprofen blocks the helpful action of aspirin (as does naproxen). Since Diabetes increases the chances on heart attacks, many D docs suggest taking an 81mg tab of aspirin a day. Acetaminophen allows the aspirin to do its thing.
PDXDENNISJDx 1/92
2x 850mg Metformin
2x 15u NPN
2x 10 Byetta

volleyball

volleyball

• 500 plus
  • 2,040 posts
I 've not heard anything either. Maybe you could find this person and ask why. Maybe they have insight or else you could debunk their myth
Diabetes is a condition that you have to manage or it will manage you. The care team is only there in a supporting role

JoanW

JoanW

• 500 plus
  • 157 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • I am a:Type 2
At my last check up at the end of February, my doctor asked me if I had been taking any ibuprofen and I said I had been using a couple of tablets occasionally when neuropathy was bothering me, so that I could get to sleep. She told me that my creatinine level was elevated indicating possible kidney problems, and has suggested that I take another blood test in early May after abstaining from taking any ibuprofen. So far I have managed with taking only two Tylenol (which she said was OK). So I think the warning of using ibuprofen as a diabetic is that it can be damaging to the kidneys more than other things like acetaminophen. Probably occasional use doesn't harm one, as long as the kidney function is healthy.

Kim_in_TN

Kim_in_TN

• 500 plus
  • 766 posts
It sounds like you've gotten good advice here and again I learned something new! I just wanted to say that I hope your pain has now subsided and you are getting restful night's sleep!
Type 2 - Dx 9/11/03 - A1c 8.3
2/01/08 - A1c 6.3
4/01/08 - A1c 5.9 :)
10/07/08 - A1c 5.4 :)
2/16/09 - A1c 6.4
2/04/10 - A1c 6.7 :(
8/26/11 - A1c 7.0 :( - Falling off the wagon!
12/02/11 - A1c 6.2

Started Insulin 12.12.2011
Novolog - lunch and supper;
Levemir - bedtime.
Benazepril - 10 mg.
Crestor - 10 mg.
Citalopram - 40 mg.
Aspirin - 81 mg.

clintr55

clintr55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am T1 and have degenerative Joint disease. NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, etc.), are a concern for diabetics because of the potential for kidney issues. You should always clear any medications you take, including OTC meds with your diabetes team to assure no negative effects. There are, by the way, TOPICAL NSAIDS that are very effective in reducing pain and inflammation and do not have the renal side effects. Ask your doctor for a trial. I use Voltaren gel for by knees and ankle.

Clint
T1
Ping and Dexcom

HealthierMe

HealthierMe

• 500 plus
  • 144 posts
Ibuprofen also can raise blood pressure. I was told not to use it for that reason. I switched to tylenol or generic which works just fine.
Type 2. Living in the 5% club. 1 year since dx.
daily low dose aspirin and carb counting
Goals for 2010 - gain muscle
biking, resistance training, light weights, walking
new fave low carb - George Stella cookbooks, Jude Theriot Low Carb Cajun cookbook, ice cream maker, sf jello, sf LandoLakes whipped cream, SmartCarb sf ice creams, dark baking chocolate, fresh thin asparagus, fresh avocados, butternut squash,cauliflower, baked mahi mahi, natural almonds, truvia, carbmaster yogurt

Byron B

Byron B

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Just the opposite here. Had major lung surgery last summer and the hospital would not give me tylenol. After discharge the Dr. said only use ibuprofen. Both the hospital and the Dr. warned about kidney problems with the tylenol. Have een taking the ibuprofen since with no problem. Since I have had kidney stones in the past I now have a phobia about tylenol which used to be the main pain reliever I took. There seems to be conflicting opinion on the interaction with kidney function.
8/1/2009 DX BG over 400 Glipizide
11/23/2009 A1C 5.8 1000 Metformin 2X
2/23/2010 A1C 5.3 500 Metformin 2X
6/12/2010 A1C 5.7 500 Metformin 1X

mavisdavis

mavisdavis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tylenol is hard on the liver.
Ibuprofen is hard on the kidneys.

Having said that, the occasional use of either should create no problem in an otherwise healthy adult.
Diagnosed 6/28/09 A1c 6.8
Follow-up 10/15/09 A1c 5.3
Metformin 500 mg qd
Lost: 62 lb.

killerleaf

killerleaf

• 500 plus
  • 537 posts
my doc knows that I use iboprofen to head off migraines, and occasional aches and pains...no worries! I think the big thing is to check with your doctor....and what works for you, also... tylenol does nothing for me; iboprofen kicks pains' "butt".

And a rice sock works wonders!! fill an old but still intact tube sock with regular uncooked rice. heat in microwave 1 minute. put on achy shoulder, neck....bliss! and can be used over and over...when the sock starts getting dirty looking, I just dump the rice in a bowl, wash the sock, and refill it when the sock comes out of the dryer!
beware, for beyond there be dragons
Lantus 48 units twice a day
Latest A1C 7.1

sparrow1

sparrow1

• 500 plus
  • 327 posts
I have a friend who went into kidney failure. The doctors said it was due to the combination of her blood pressure meds and ibuprofen.

That being said, I have never worried about the effects of an occasional Ibuprofen or Naproxen even though I am on blood pressure meds.

Perhaps a relaxing massage would help. And sitting at a computer causes tension around the neck and shoulders, so make sure you have good back support and keep your shoulders down.

Hope you feel better soon.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dx'd Type 2, 1989
Meds: Metformin 2500, Lantus 24, NovoRapid 1:4, Victoza 1.2, Lipitor, Inhibace, Remeron, Celexa
Mulitvitamin, Omega 3, Calcium/Magnesium, Vitamin C , Vitamin D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users