Abstain from coffee before lab tests?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
Are you advised to abstain from coffee during your fasting hours before lab tests for any of the following? A1c, liver enzymes, microalbumin, cholesterol & lipids, CBC.

I got myself addicted to coffee in the time since my last round of tests. :o I thought in the past I had been told that black coffee or plain tea was okay before those labs. But once when I went the lab worker asked the usual question about my intake of food and drink and then said I should not have my tests as I'd had coffee.

Addicted as I am, I sure would like to have a cup before I go in tomorrow morning.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,162 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
;) I am afraid you will have to go to the lab early and take your coffee with you for after your test. I understand your pain!
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Phonelady61

Phonelady61

• 500 plus
  • 110 posts
I was told nothing before tests at all not even water. so yeah you are going to have to wait untill after the test before you hit coffee. good luck with your test by the way .

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,109 posts

;) I am afraid you will have to go to the lab early and take your coffee with you for after your test. I understand your pain!

Pffft! My hospital has a Tim Hortons!
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

RobiJo

RobiJo

• 500 plus
  • 968 posts
I've always been told "only water"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 Est.1984
MM 722 and CGMS; Novalog
Vitrectomies May 2007 & July 2007
Had a Baby Girl 7/2010! She is perfect!

RobiJo

RobiJo

• 500 plus
  • 968 posts
I've always been told "only water"

As a kid I loved it, right after my labwork I'd get to eat at the really cool cafeteria. (My mom worked at the hospital and I thought eating there was SOOO cool.)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 Est.1984
MM 722 and CGMS; Novalog
Vitrectomies May 2007 & July 2007
Had a Baby Girl 7/2010! She is perfect!

grace girl

grace girl

• 500 plus
  • 1,500 posts
Only water...then head to starbucks!:D
~Holly~
Incorrectly dx'ed type 2 7/00 :eek:
Correctly dx'ed type 1 5/01
MDI
Lantus 2x daily & Humalog

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
I have to get up quite a bit earlier than normal to make it to the lab. That is going to make it extra hard without coffee. Hope I can drive alright! :D

Not having a thermos is a bummer, but I'm not going to get one just for tomorrow.

Maybe this is my cue to kick the habit....again. I was off coffee for four years and then somehow it just crept back into my life.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,162 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1

What the heck is a Tim Hortons? Coffee place? Donut shop? Us West Coasters go to Java City. :D
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts
I love coffee - and don't believe that it's unhealthy, but I quit drinking it for the same reason I quit smoking. I resent the addiction.

Of course now that I don't drink coffee, except maybe once a month, I can count other reasons to avoid it. It's expensive and stains your teeth too. It's also a diuretic so you should increase water intake along with it which leads ultimately to: don't drink a lot of coffee.

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,109 posts

Hmmm, Tim's .... it finally made it to Ireland last year, darn another Franchise I should have gone for!

For me I tend to not eat after 9pm and only drink water after that.
Posted Image

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 14u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.
Most recent A1c 20/11/13: 11.6% <= back where I started

BrianSCohen

BrianSCohen

• 500 plus
  • 645 posts
I also have a dependence on coffee and tea, starting the morning right off with a cup. On days when I have tests, what I do is heat up a hot cup of water and pretend it is coffee or tea. I know. Not exactly the same. At least it is something.
...brian

T2 since 7/05. 48 yrs. 5'11 195 lbs.
Exercise, very low carb diet
HbA1c 9/07 - 6.3%, 3/08 - 6.2%, 6/08 - 6.2%

sprzepiora

sprzepiora

• 500 plus
  • 359 posts
I was always told coffee is ok, but only black without sugar, which ironically is how I now (almost) drink it :)

I drink so much of it I am trying to cut the splenda out as it is kind of expensive.

w5wjp

w5wjp

• 500 plus
  • 769 posts

What the heck is a Tim Hortons? Coffee place? Donut shop? Us West Coasters go to Java City. :D

Not only a donut shop but THE donut shop. Coffee is god but the donuts are fantastic.
Posted Image
Cozmo 1800
Volcano Black
Pumping since Jan 4 2007
A1C: 7.0 on 7/28/08:top:

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts

What the heck is a Tim Hortons? Coffee place? Donut shop? Us West Coasters go to Java City.

Nancy..........it's a coffee place, similar to Dunkin Donuts, which I believe started in Canada and then bought out another chain here in the US. We have them on the East Coast, but I'm not a fan.

Karen

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,158 posts
Was told I could have one cup black unsweetened. It may depend on the lab tests requested by your doc. My tests are usually only for A1c and Lipids.

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
Turns out it was no problem skipping the coffee this morning. :)

I originally gave up coffee because it was inconvenient to have to look for coffee every morning of my life. If I was camping or spent the night on the boat, it was a problem. I was badly addicted and would feel sick, head-achy, stuffy-headed and my eyes sensitive to light without it.

During those four "good years" I drank a lot of tea instead. I'm still drinking a lot of tea, so that cuts down on the amount of coffee I might otherwise drink. Maybe that is why it was no problem after all to skip the java this morning. I do the hot water thing as well. In fact the last thing I drank to day was a mug of hot water. Weird, huh? "White tea."

Oh, I find tea stains my teeth worse than coffee.

tanyatype1

tanyatype1

• 500 plus
  • 1,889 posts
LOL! I'm actually overdue (for the first time) in getting my labs/a1c done because I just dread having to go without my sleepymorningwakeupcoffee! Ugh.....I think I'm going to try the hot water thing:)
:coffee:

Happiness isn't getting what you want.....
It's wanting what you've got.

pokie

pokie

• 500 plus
  • 115 posts
Our lab says black coffee and tea are OK; no carbonated beverages. I guess every place is different. It's kind of my ritual to have a nice hot cup of black coffee to take with me to my labs; I hate the blood draw and it calms me down!
[SIGPIC]http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10467&dateline=1204011885[/SIGPIC]

Robbie
Type2, diagnosed 2004
Metformin 2000mg

Lantus at night
Novolog Flexpen before meals

"But Mama, that's where the fun is..."

BrianSCohen

BrianSCohen

• 500 plus
  • 645 posts
I have to weigh in on this one. For quite a while my Dr. suggested simply not eating anything in the morning before a fasting test. Of course, crazy me, I would stuff myself at midnight before more first thing in the morning test and darn it, my cholesterol (actually tris) came in high. Well at least in the case of triglycerides, 12 hours really means 12 hours, it takes a while to clear them out of your blood.

The whole thing about whether coffee or tea is ok is problematic. All I know is that medline suggests no (MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Cholesterol test) and mayo suggests no (Cholesterol test: Sorting out the lipids - MayoClinic.com). I hate having a cholesterol test come in and having to argue with my Dr. that I don't want the *&%^%^& statin. Hence, I always err on the side of caution. In either case, I certainly would not add sugar or cream, this would definitely blow away any cholesterol test, and blood sugar test.
...brian

T2 since 7/05. 48 yrs. 5'11 195 lbs.
Exercise, very low carb diet
HbA1c 9/07 - 6.3%, 3/08 - 6.2%, 6/08 - 6.2%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users