- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Yoboney

Yoboney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello, I am supposed to get an A1C tomorrow and I was not told if I have to fast or not? My Fasting blood glucose has been normal but I think the A1C may be helpful. Thanks

Brad

Hammer

Hammer

• Seniors
  • 5,760 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
No you don't need to fast before an A1c test. The test measures the amount of glucose in your system over a 3 month period, not how much is in your system when they do the test, so don't worry about fasting.

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

Yoboney

Yoboney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

No you don't need to fast before an A1c test. The test measures the amount of glucose in your system over a 3 month period, not how much is in your system when they do the test, so don't worry about fasting.

Thanks. I appreciate the helpful info. I always hear about this test. I hope it gives me some informative input.

Brad

jacobsam622

jacobsam622

• Seniors
  • 635 posts

Hello, I am supposed to get an A1C tomorrow and I was not told if I have to fast or not? My Fasting blood glucose has been normal but I think the A1C may be helpful. Thanks

Brad

Whenever I get blood work done they do an A1C and a fasting bg,so it depends on whether your doctor ordered the full diabetes tests or just the A1C. The doctor gives me a sheet that he fills out with the different test marked on it and tells me to have the blood done in three months. They check FBG A1C, Cholesterol, etc, etc.
Byetta 5mcg twice a day
Sugar busters life style
Exercise = cardio and running after twins Ben & Josh

"Oh for Pete's sake" -Ben "Let me think" - Josh

Ok Wildcards watch your six.

You too will be assimilated! You will become one with the Borg. You will all become one with the borg."

To lose this war means more than defeat. To surrender is to never go home. All of us must rise to the call above and beyond". Lt Col TC McQueen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

davef

davef

• Seniors
  • 8,192 posts
  • I am a:Type 2

Whenever I get blood work done they do an A1C and a fasting bg,so it depends on whether your doctor ordered the full diabetes tests or just the A1C. The doctor gives me a sheet that he fills out with the different test marked on it and tells me to have the blood done in three months. They check FBG A1C, Cholesterol, etc, etc.

Ditto

It really does depend if you are just getting A1c or A1c and other blood work. My Doctor general takes the opportunity for the Lab to check my Fasting Blood Glucose and Cholesterol at the same time (as a minimum). So I always fast before blood tests from 9pm the previous evening, I had been previously told from midnight but my GP said lets be careful and go from 9pm. I only drink water after 9pm. It's not all that difficult to fast as I schedule my blood to be taken around 8.30am-9.00am. In keep with Doctor's idea of being careful I'll be sure to start eating by 7pm the night before.

Good luck with the test.

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

Evermont

Evermont

• Seniors
  • 3,368 posts
Last time I got blood tests I asked why they had me fast. It was not for the A1c which they were doing, and there was no fasting blood sugar test. They specifically told me that the fasting was for the cholesterol tests.

Scratch

Scratch

• Seniors
  • 2,088 posts
You don't need to fast for an A1c test.
MDI, Lantus and Novolog
A1c 2/12 -- 5.9%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users