'Proper' Fish and Chip shop chips...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Gary_W

Gary_W

• Seniors
  • 1,335 posts
My question is how to bolus for them? It's not a meal that I do often and when I do it does tend to give me problems, despite the fact that I generally cope really well with potatoes no matter what you do to them.

For the non-Brits, these are thick cut real potatoes that are deep fried in oil. The oil will usually be block vegetable oil these days, but traditionally it's beef dripping. They are very unlike the processed potato object that is sold as the 'French Fry'.

All the carb books I can find seem to suggest that home-made chips contain around 30g of carbs per 100g. When I weighed them at home and used this formulae, I was high at 2 hours. And 4 hours :mad:

I then applied the USA logic of 40g of carbs per 100g, which seems accepted wisdom on French Fries. I was in range at 2 hours, high at 4 hours and generally STILL needed more insulin to cope with them.

Since pumping, I've also tried doing an extended bolus. Again, the sheer amount of insulin doesn't seem to work for them (just in range at 2 hours, still too high at 4). I am thinking that doing the maths at 50g of carbs per 100g of chips, coupled with a combo bolus, is the formula I need. Any thoughts (apart from 'give them up', as it's not an overly regular thing anyway).

Gary
The people of the Village call me 'The King and Queen of Fajitas'. I know not why....

poppa

poppa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Perhaps it's the fish and not the chips...
How are you cooking the fish? Fried? What's in the coating??

AND If these are "Proper" Fish & Chips an extra splash of vinegar might help! :T :D

adiantum

adiantum

• Seniors
  • 4,739 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • I am a:Type 2
Oooooh I really miss fish n chips.

are you allowing for the batter?

They cook them in palm oil here

sprzepiora

sprzepiora

• Members
  • 359 posts
chips are crunchy and usually dunked in dip What you are talking about are home fries.:)

I haven't had those in a while, however I had baked steak fries tonight and I weighed them on a scale. The only thing I had to do was to bolus 15 minutes early and walk for 30 minutes.

I had eaten a few extra carbs to cover the walk though, generally I do not have a problem with baked fries if I weigh them.

volleyball

volleyball

• Seniors
  • 2,040 posts
Yes, over this side of the pond, we do call them steak fries. Our french fries are usually cut whole potatoes, not processed into shape.
The batter on fish can be very bad for us.
Diabetes is a condition that you have to manage or it will manage you. The care team is only there in a supporting role

Tattoo azz

Tattoo azz

• Seniors
  • 1,991 posts
Gary, i would bolus for the batter as well and if you have mushy peas don't forget that some producers put sugar in to sweeten them a touch. Try asking your local "chippy" for an extra small portion of chips, i do and they are fine about it. I only have a "chippy tea" once or twice a year now cos i am getting rather "calorifically challenged".
Posted Image:fight:
It's ok you'll just feel a small prick[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"DUUUUDE Where's my carbs??"

T1 since oct '82
A1C 6.8 :D
Novorapid using Novopen4 (silver)
Levemir using Novopen4 (blue)
Metformin 2x500mg daily
Thyroxin 175mg once daily.

SueM

SueM

• Seniors
  • 1,413 posts
Gary, 6 chips work out to 10 carbs.
It's the batter or the bread crumbs you have to watch for.
I find that it's a better idea to make sure at the 3 hr mark you need to have an extended bolus kick in.
There always seems to be a very slow release of carbs with anything fried/fatty.
I have found I get the same effect when eating pasta. So if you have pasta sussed try the same routine.
Sue
Pumping using bovine insulin. (Pump kindly donated by Solox)

volleyball

volleyball

• Seniors
  • 2,040 posts

Gary, i would bolus for the batter as well and if you have mushy peas don't forget that some producers put sugar in to sweeten them a touch. Try asking your local "chippy" for an extra small portion of chips, i do and they are fine about it. I only have a "chippy tea" once or twice a year now cos i am getting rather "calorifically challenged".

For us yanks, what are mushy peas and chippy tea?
Diabetes is a condition that you have to manage or it will manage you. The care team is only there in a supporting role

SueM

SueM

• Seniors
  • 1,413 posts

For us yanks, what are mushy peas and chippy tea?

Mushy peas :) Mushy Peas - Icons of England
Sue

Gary_W

Gary_W

• Seniors
  • 1,335 posts
Thanks for the replies, all.

I did bolus for the batter too, but on that score I must confess I winged it. I guess that might be what did it... Sue - I have tried extended boluses as well, and they help. It just seems that I still underestimate the sheer amount of insulin I need for this meal (about twice that of any other!)

Any tips for bolusing for batter? Apart from 'put in the amount you think and then add the same again for good measure?' :D

Gary
The people of the Village call me 'The King and Queen of Fajitas'. I know not why....

SueM

SueM

• Seniors
  • 1,413 posts

I did bolus for the batter too, but on that score I must confess I winged it. I guess that might be what did it... Sue - I have tried extended boluses as well, and they help. It just seems that I still underestimate the sheer amount of insulin I need for this meal (about twice that of any other!)

Any tips for bolusing for batter? Apart from 'put in the amount you think and then add the same again for good measure?' :D

Gary

Try the supermarket freezer dept and eyeball whats in there all carb values on the pkts so that will help :)
I would also try dif timeings for the bolus or even what about increasing basal for a few hrs? Not sure how practical that would be.
Sue

shabbie

shabbie

• Members
  • 473 posts
gary,
chip shop chips is the one food that still gives me problems! i can give myself the correct bolus over different periods of time and STILL need to correct later!
i just take it for granted that i will have to correct spikes all afternoon with chips at lunchtime. i NEVER eat them in the evening as i seem to be more resistant then.

chip shop meals, i can take a 'naked fish' (no batter) with peas and curry sauce and have no problems at all with that. (i hate batter~ yuk!)

i recently had a large homebaked meatpie with coleslaw and pickles, i took my bolus spread over 4 hours and it did the trick with no corrections afterwards. ;) i guess you could try that with chipshop foods.
Sharon :)

shabbie

shabbie

• Members
  • 473 posts

Gary

gary, remember the batter is a 'fat' sponge, so bolusing should reflect that more than carbs imho ;)
Sharon :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users