Why drink lots of water?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
I have sometimes seen advice on this forum that if a Type 2 finds their BG high, they should make sure to drink lots of water. What is the rationale to that? Is the hope that the glucose will be more easily or quickly urinated away if lots of water is consumed?

Real4

Real4

• 500 plus
  • 459 posts

I have sometimes seen advice on this forum that if a Type 2 finds their BG high, they should make sure to drink lots of water. What is the rationale to that? Is the hope that the glucose will be more easily or quickly urinated away if lots of water is consumed?

It will let you feel like you are doing something useful and it is as about as harmless as you can get. A perfect placebo!

jacobsam622

jacobsam622

• 500 plus
  • 635 posts

You find this advice in most books and web sites dealing with high bg and Its what my diabetes educator told me three years ago.
Drink plenty of fluids when the blood glucose is high-water or diet (sugar—free) drinks. This helps to lower the blood glucose and prevent dehydration.
Byetta 5mcg twice a day
Sugar busters life style
Exercise = cardio and running after twins Ben & Josh

"Oh for Pete's sake" -Ben "Let me think" - Josh

Ok Wildcards watch your six.

You too will be assimilated! You will become one with the Borg. You will all become one with the borg."

To lose this war means more than defeat. To surrender is to never go home. All of us must rise to the call above and beyond". Lt Col TC McQueen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

matingara

matingara

• 500 plus
  • 2,175 posts

This helps to lower the blood glucose and prevent dehydration.

the body has an excellent dehydration warning system. it is called "thirst".

funny that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
May 2010 : A1C (home) 5.5%: Feb 2010: A1C (home): 5.2% Oct 2009: A1C: 5.7%;
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

BlueSky

BlueSky

• 500 plus
  • 2,566 posts
The benefit of drinking water is to avoid dehydration. It can become an issue with very high blood glucose, like 400+. But I can't see that drinking water would have much effect on blood glucose at lower levels. The renal threshold for most people is about 180. There is no point in drinking water if BG is below this level as glucose is not spilling into the urine and you don't dehydrate. As matingara points out, if you need to replace water, you will get thirsty.
In my humble opinion :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 since 1977
MDI using Lantus, Novorapid and Actrapid

Beowulf

Beowulf

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Another benefit to drinking water is helping get out of DKA. If you are throwing keytones in your urine drinking lots of water will not only help bring down your BG (albeit very little) but it helps flush your system.
Fortune favors the bold. ~ Virgil

Carwy

Carwy

• 500 plus
  • 1,991 posts
I was told by a urologist to drink lots of water. Your urine should be clear. This keeps you hydrated and help to prevent kidney stones, which hurt like heck.
A1c 02/2009 5.2
A1c 08/07/2009 6.4

The_QUIET_one

The_QUIET_one

• 500 plus
  • 119 posts
Hmm I dunno if this is true but I heard someware that drinking water might thin the blood and make the sugar less concentrated? I dont know, your probably right though, cant see why that would really effect it very much...
over 4 years with diabetes

Pumping over 3.5 of them and loving it

Cloudedbrains

Cloudedbrains

• 500 plus
  • 210 posts
I was told to drink to plenty of water as it helps to shift the ketones that show up when I get very high :)
Cloudedbrains aka Donna

Dx'd: T2 - 6th August 2006
Newest hba1c: 5.5%
New hba1c: 5.1%
Last hba1c: 5.5%
Regime: levemir & novorapid

"If I listed all my medications here you would still be reading the list next yr lol"

bryan42

bryan42

• 500 plus
  • 918 posts
I read that when anyone, not just diabetics, dont feel good, at least 1/2 the time, it was because we are dehydrated and are not aware of it? It makes sense to the point, where are bodies are made up of so much water,and if we dont keep hydrated, things would start not working right. (just a thought)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Diagnosed Type 2 April '07
(April '07-A1C= 6.9)
(August '07 A1C= 6.4)
(March '08 A1C= 6.4)
(June '08 A1C= 6.3)
(Sept '08 A1C= 7.4)
(Dec '09 A1C= 8.0)
(Nov '10 A1C= 8.6) whoops! :o
(Sept '11 A1C= 10.9)
(March '12 A1C=6.9! BOOYAH)
(October '12 A1C=7.1 )
(April '13 A1C=7.6 )
(Sept '13 A1C=6.6 ) hard work is paying off!

Phil 4:13

Real4

Real4

• 500 plus
  • 459 posts

Hmm I dunno if this is true but I heard someware that drinking water might thin the blood and make the sugar less concentrated? I dont know, your probably right though, cant see why that would really effect it very much...

There's a set of major physiological system and sub-systems to control the ion balance in blood and other body fluids. It is just about impossible to "thin the blood."

BlueSky

BlueSky

• 500 plus
  • 2,566 posts

... I heard someware that drinking water might thin the blood and make the sugar less concentrated? ....

I have also heard that one. And it really doesn't make much sense. Consider the background. We have about 5 litres of blood in our bodies. At normal BG levels, there is the quivalent of about 1 teaspoon of sugar disolved into all this blood. If you are not dehydrated, drinking water is not going to affect the volume of your blood by much. So it won't make a noticeable difference to the concentration of glucose in it. But even if you are dehydrated, you would need to drink a huge amount of water to make a noticeable difference.

About ketones, it is useful to understand where they come from. Ketones are produced when you are burning fat. And they only become dangerous when this happens on a large scale. Typically, it happens when there is inadequate insulin. High blood sugar, by itself, will not cause ketones to be produced. So if your blood sugar goes high because of the big meal you have just consumed, there is really no need to drink lots of water. It won't make any difference.
In my humble opinion :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 since 1977
MDI using Lantus, Novorapid and Actrapid

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts
Drinking water displaces other beverages. Can anyone here think of any beverage healthier than water?

Posted Image

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,085 posts
My DE is adamant that dehydration can cause liver dumps. It's always her first suggestion for preventing high BGs: drink lots of water and make sure you eat lots! Pffft!
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts
It is also commonly suggested that water aids in digestion and lubricates the joints which is important to avoid injury in frequent exercise.

Drinking water is also important to hydrate before and rehydrate during vigorous exercise, so if you think you're drinking too much water - just exercise more!

Water is also lost just exhaling and also through imperceptible perspiration both while awake and while sleeping. Think of it as basal dehydration.

Of course many foods and most beverages contain water so part of the total requirement is acquired that way.

About 6 years ago I made a conscious effort to drink more water. I guess I reacquired a liking for it before too long. I don't need anymore ideas about why water is important now, I just plain LIKE water. It makes me feel good.

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,079 posts
I really don't know if or how drinking water would directly reduce somebodies BG, I do think Keith has a point about it replacing other drinks and that may be part of the thinking. I wonder if another consideration is many (I didn't say all) Type 2's can benefit from losing weight and it is often recommended to drink plenty of water while trying to lose weight. I have heard two reasons, that would appear to have some logic to them for doing so, (1) Drinking water can give you a full feeling when eating less and (2) It's said that the consumption of the water keeps your digestive system working.

Personally, I do find I lose weight better when drinking water.
Posted Image

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 14u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.
Most recent A1c 20/11/13: 11.6% <= back where I started

BrianSCohen

BrianSCohen

• 500 plus
  • 645 posts
Drinking water to keep blood sugar low. That is crazy. Drinking vast amounts of water will leach things out of the blood, that is the bodies way of dealing with fatally dangerous conditions like high blood sugar. This is not a good blood sugar management tool. Drinking too much water is not good. You will lose sodium, potassium and other things that you need for balanced electrolytes in your body. Drink enough to satisfy thirst, at least a half gallon or so a day. If your urine is dilute (not bright yellow) you are probably fine. Drink more than two gallons a day and you may have problems. Still thirsty on two gallons a day and you definitely should see a dr. Personally, I drink on the high end, generally getting a least a gallon a day or more. However, I have at times felt at risk of overhydration and during long days outside I know I am at risk from electrolyte problems.
...brian

T2 since 7/05. 48 yrs. 5'11 195 lbs.
Exercise, very low carb diet
HbA1c 9/07 - 6.3%, 3/08 - 6.2%, 6/08 - 6.2%

jacobsam622

jacobsam622

• 500 plus
  • 635 posts
If you have water in your blood stream you may be drowning and I would guess in fresh water. I here it can be very painful.:eek: That being said Drinking water keeps the body hydrated. If you lose to much water because of the high blood sugar you risk damage to your body like coma.:eek: So yes you should drink lots of water when your bg get over 275. The best remedy for high bg( > 275 ) is exercise and drink plenty of water.
Byetta 5mcg twice a day
Sugar busters life style

You too will be assimilated! You will become one with the Borg. You will all become one with the borg."

To lose this war means more than defeat. To surrender is to never go home. All of us must rise to the call above and beyond". Lt Col TC McQueen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jacobsam622

jacobsam622

• 500 plus
  • 635 posts
Drinking more water is suppose to delute the content of your stomach. Does it work who cares if your mind believes maybe your body will follow. placebos work on a large percentage of the population.:D
Byetta 5mcg twice a day
Sugar busters life style

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts

Drinking more water is suppose to delute the content of your stomach. Does it work who cares if your mind believes maybe your body will follow. placebos work on a large percentage of the population.:D

Does it work for what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users