Photo

What did your first bottle of insulin cost?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Jan B

Jan B

• Seniors
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
Honestly, I don't even know what one bottle of insulin costs these days . . . . the last I knew, a bottle of Humalog cost $29.00. I don't even know if the different insulins have different prices. Sandi paid over $100 recently, but I don't know how many bottles that was.

I do remember when I first starting taking insulin in 1979, it was $4 per bottle (without insurance).
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

Scratch

Scratch

• Seniors
  • 2,088 posts
I can remember without insurance a vial of NPH costing around $18 or so around 1990.
MDI, Lantus and Novolog
A1c 2/12 -- 5.9%

Penny

Penny

• Seniors
  • 6,653 posts
I do not know what my first bottle cost as I always had insurance....I had a $5 copay then. A few months ago when I thought I needed to buy a vial because I was out, a kid at either Walmart or Kroger, told me it would be "about $40"....I don't think he really knew, he told me I needed a prescription for it. He also told me a 5 pack of Novolog was $36????
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

camjen1

camjen1

• Seniors
  • 3,658 posts

Honestly, I don't even know what one bottle of insulin costs these days . . . . the last I knew, a bottle of Humalog cost $29.00. I don't even know if the different insulins have different prices. Sandi paid over $100 recently, but I don't know how many bottles that was.

I do remember when I first starting taking insulin in 1979, it was $4 per bottle (without insurance).

Jan, it was one vial only. Sad! :(

My mom says to me what happen to paying $20 a vial, she was referring to when she purchased my first vial back in 99. I started on a mix and I do believe those are dirt cheap.
~Sandi~
Pumping for almost 6 years
MM Purple 722 with Humalog
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

camjen1

camjen1

• Seniors
  • 3,658 posts
I just came across a Canada site that says Humalog is non prescription and is only $43.99. I should have searched the internet before giving Walgreens the time of day. :mad:
~Sandi~
Pumping for almost 6 years
MM Purple 722 with Humalog
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

Jules49

Jules49

• Members
  • 170 posts
I have been on Medicare since I was 45 years old. I just found some receipts from insulins that I bought this year. Part D pays 75%, I think. My part on Humalog was $22.36. Lantus was $21.14. I normally hit the gap in Nov and pay full price. I will start on Forteo when the pharmacy gets my co pay. They waited until the insurance paid before asking for my co pay. I will pay $196.57. I will hit that gap and pay full price at least two month. Not sure how we will pay for that. My disabilty check is not very much. My husband has always been self employed so no benefits. I am talking close to $800 a month for the Forteo. I have other things wrong with me besides diabetes.

Brettt333

Brettt333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I don't remember the cost back in 1963 for NPH but after leaving home, I did not mind not having insurance because all my supplies were so inexpensive. It cost more for the insurance than what my costs were. Now with my high deductable, I see that Humolog is $89.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type 1 Jan 1963
Cozmore:s: Now OneTouch Ping:smile: Dexcom :top: Lasered Out:mad:
We're rootin' for ya Dr Faustman!

Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily

• Validating
  • 162 posts
1987.......... Regular or NPH....... $12.95 a vial

1993.......... Humalog......... $56.XX a vial

2006..........Levemir............$142.XX for 5 cartridges

just a bit of an increase, eh?

sigh

grace girl

grace girl

• Seniors
  • 1,500 posts
When I started insulin 6 years ago I was on mixed insulin and it was $65.00 a bottle. Now I pay $93 for humalog and $96 for lantus.
~Holly~
Incorrectly dx'ed type 2 7/00 :eek:
Correctly dx'ed type 1 5/01
MDI
Lantus 2x daily & Humalog

Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily

• Validating
  • 162 posts

When I started insulin 6 years ago I was on mixed insulin and it was $65.00 a bottle. Now I pay $93 for humalog and $96 for lantus.

it that for vials? or cartridges?
have you thought of using a pen for your insulin? they are really convenient :)

Tattoo azz

Tattoo azz

• Seniors
  • 1,991 posts
Being a brit i've always had free medication :D
Posted Image:fight:
It's ok you'll just feel a small prick[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"DUUUUDE Where's my carbs??"

T1 since oct '82
A1C 6.8 :D
Novorapid using Novopen4 (silver)
Levemir using Novopen4 (blue)
Metformin 2x500mg daily
Thyroxin 175mg once daily.

Gordonm

Gordonm

• Seniors
  • 1,515 posts
Lets see, 1974 a bottle of NPH as I remember was around 6 dollars. My mom was buying it at that time and no insurance. At 6 dollars a bottle and it lasted me probably 2 months insurance was not needed for it.
Type 1 since 4/74
Pump user since 10/17/06!
MM 523 pump
Bike miles
2013 3196
2014 2790 miles

Gary_W

Gary_W

• Seniors
  • 1,335 posts

1993.......... Humalog......... $56.XX a vial

2006..........Levemir............$142.XX for 5 cartridges

just a bit of an increase, eh?

sigh

I am very, very glad to be living on this side of the pond. I'm pretty sure the price to the NHS for 5 Apidra cartridges was around £35, which is only $68. So either I'm mistaken or I've found the one thing that we get cheaper over here (and I certainly get it cheaper as it's free of charge to the patient). Only reason I know was because I was looking through the drug book with my GP when we were finding Solostar pens and I recall their price being more or less the same as the cartridges so I didn't feel bad about it.

Gary
The people of the Village call me 'The King and Queen of Fajitas'. I know not why....

Mich

Mich

• Seniors
  • 2,242 posts
Wow Jan, funny you should ask. My mom just mailed me (who KNOWS where she had them) the family Girl Scout Calendars from 1960 and 1961. She wrote everything on them re my diagnosis and supplies and costs. We had no insurance.

I was diagnosed Jan 6, 1960.

NPH was $2.83 per vial.

Regular was $1.56 a vial.

Clinitest kit for testing urine (glass vial, reagent tablets) was $4.50

Acetest tablets for testing ketones were $4.56

Test Tape (just became available was $1.98

Needles (came with wires to clean them) were $.52 I have no idea how many that was. They were used with a glass vial which we had to boil before using.

At diagnosis, I was so tired I fell asleep every time I sat down. Blood sugar at doctor's was 1300. He sent my mom to the drug store for insulin and gave me 80 units of regular. When we got home, my urine sugar was 6+ (high) That night, my mom gave me 80 units of regular. I was scared to death. I hated shots!
The next day, 80 in AM, 80 in PM. We had no idea about lows except I had to drink orange juice all day.
My urine tests showed various amounts of sugar all day.

On the (Jan 8th) I passed out cold at 12 Noon. (Had been drinking OJ all morning. Urine sugar was .5%.) My parents took me to the emergency room where my blood sugar (after they started the IV) was 37. So much for the value of urine testing. The hospital began NPH treatment with regular on a sliding scale according to urine tests, which was just a big guessing game.

Four days in the hospital with all treatment and meds cost $115.

mcgriff

mcgriff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
My pens have a retail price of $250-$260. Each pen contains 300 units so that's roughly $0.83 per unit. I think back to a few years ago when there was a 4 month gap where my wife and I didn't have insurance (job changes). Yes I know about COBRA, but it was almost $1400 per month to cover us! Had I been diagnosed then it would have bankrupted us for sure. My blood is starting to boil thinking about our health care system and how it is managed...

RobiJo

RobiJo

• Seniors
  • 968 posts

So a few years earlier in 1984 it was probably around $10 I'm guessing. I've always had insurance and my mom always got my supplies from the hospital that she works at, so I'd say she probably paid less than 10 for each vial back then.

The prices these days are outrageous. Look at the packing list for your pump supplies... usually well over $500 each shipment. It all adds up very quickly. If you don't have insurance you are really in a bad position. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 Est.1984
MM 722 and CGMS; Novalog
Vitrectomies May 2007 & July 2007
Had a Baby Girl 7/2010! She is perfect!

varminteer

varminteer

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My first bottles of insulin back in 1958 cost 75 cents without insurance. Today that same bottle costs around $90.00. Unbelievable:mad:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users