When will the tingling in my feet stop?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
That's the reason I went to the dr was because of the tingling in my feet and hands. She said it was related to the diabetes. When will it stop? It's driving me nuts! It's not severe, but it keeps me from sleeping well and it's bothersome during the day. :(
Please bare with me... I am struggling over here.

Gordonm

Gordonm

• 500 plus
  • 1,512 posts
Your blood sugar has most likely been out of control for quite a while. You need to get your blood sugar back in the normal range and keep it there. Even at this it will take a long time if ever to get rid of the tingling. Diabetes is a long progressive disease and you cannot undue years of problems in just days. It will get less and less with controlled blood sugars and hopefully go away in the long run. Good luck and keep a close watch on your blood sugar.
Type 1 since 4/74
Pump user since 10/17/06!
MM 523 pump
Bike miles
2013 3196
2014 2151 miles

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,114 posts
Seriously. The best thing for neuropathy is Yoga.

Posted Image

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
Ok, I can see me doing a mean face plant into the yoga mat if I tried that position! I'll look into yoga classes around here and see what I can find. It'll have to be very basic as I've never done that before.

Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily

• Validating
  • 162 posts
i see my post to this thread has been deleted, and i have no idea why

is this a big HINT to me?

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
I'm a leg crosser when sitting down. Not the normal way a female would, but more like the guys I guess. I like to put an ankle over the top of my knee instead of tucked alongside like women do. Should I stop? Does crossing my legs cause more neuropathy problems?

jacobsam622

jacobsam622

• 500 plus
  • 635 posts

That's the reason I went to the dr was because of the tingling in my feet and hands. She said it was related to the diabetes. When will it stop? It's driving me nuts! It's not severe, but it keeps me from sleeping well and it's bothersome during the day. :(

I have had tingling in my hands and feet now for five years and my bg is pretty well under control right now. the hands are almost back to normal but the feet have been getting worse.
Byetta 5mcg twice a day
Sugar busters life style
Exercise = cardio and running after twins Ben & Josh

"Oh for Pete's sake" -Ben "Let me think" - Josh

Ok Wildcards watch your six.

You too will be assimilated! You will become one with the Borg. You will all become one with the borg."

To lose this war means more than defeat. To surrender is to never go home. All of us must rise to the call above and beyond". Lt Col TC McQueen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real4

Real4

• 500 plus
  • 459 posts

That's the reason I went to the dr was because of the tingling in my feet and hands. She said it was related to the diabetes. When will it stop? It's driving me nuts!

Alpha Lipoic Acid and keeping your blood glucose under control will help your neuropathy, but will not cure it. There are some other palliatives for nerve pain available under prescription.

You don't want to know what would make it "stop."

Puppypants

Puppypants

• 500 plus
  • 165 posts
A combination of good control and two medications - Lyrica and a low dose of Methadone - have really diminished the tingling and numbness in my feet. It did not happen overnight, but happened over the course of about 6 months.

I know how disruptive the tingling can be to your sleep. You should talk to your doctor about some medications to help control it.
Diagnosed Type 2 February 14, 2007

A1C 2/07 11.8
A1C 4/07 7.4
A1C 9/07 6.5
A1C 2/08 6.4
A1C 2/09 7.0
A1C 05/09 6.1
A1C 11/09 5.9

glyburide 2.5 mg x 2
Metoporol 100 mg x 2
Hydrochlorothiazide 50 mg x 1
Aspirin 81 mg x 1

blight275

blight275

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi, I recently thought I had neuropathy....It turned out to be a trapped nerve, I was quite depressed for 5 months and did a lot of research on the subject.

Alpha lipoic acid seemed promising along with keeping bloodsugars stable

Alpha lipoic acid - If you do get alpha lipoic acid get R-lipoic acid, it is more expensive but has more benefits, the usual alpha lipoic acid is S-lipoic acid and is 50% synthetic which nullifies some of the benefits, R-lipoic acid is also 3x as powerful so you need a lower dose

Benfotiamine - This is basically vitamin B but it is fat soluble instead of water soluble, which is useful because type 2 diabetics loose vitamin B 75% faster than non diabetics (type 1 is 76%) and fat takes longer than water to be absorbed. This is used as standard treatment for neuropathy in Germany.

Both my R-lipoic Acid and Benfotiamine where made by Doctor's Best, I bought them through a UK online supplier.

I also found a gel which seems amazing if it works, I didn't buy this because I found it quite late on and it was hard to find a UK supplier although I did in the end:

Neuragen or NeuraGEL from Origin Biomed

I was going to get Neuragel because it sounded more easy to apply in this form.

I've not tried this but if it works, which it claims has a 70% success rate then it looks good. There is also a video on you tube which used to be on their site, go to youtube and search for

"Scott Lawson's Story"

I hope all this helps

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts

Hi, I recently thought I had neuropathy....It turned out to be a trapped nerve, I was quite depressed for 5 months and did a lot of research on the subject.

Alpha lipoic acid seemed promising along with keeping bloodsugars stable

Alpha lipoic acid - If you do get alpha lipoic acid get R-lipoic acid, it is more expensive but has more benefits, the usual alpha lipoic acid is S-lipoic acid and is 50% synthetic which nullifies some of the benefits, R-lipoic acid is also 3x as powerful so you need a lower dose

Benfotiamine - This is basically vitamin B but it is fat soluble instead of water soluble, which is useful because type 2 diabetics loose vitamin B 75% faster than non diabetics (type 1 is 76%) and fat takes longer than water to be absorbed. This is used as standard treatment for neuropathy in Germany.

Both my R-lipoic Acid and Benfotiamine where made by Doctor's Best, I bought them through a UK online supplier.

I also found a gel which seems amazing if it works, I didn't buy this because I found it quite late on and it was hard to find a UK supplier although I did in the end:

Neuragen or NeuraGEL from Origin Biomed

I was going to get Neuragel because it sounded more easy to apply in this form.

I've not tried this but if it works, which it claims has a 70% success rate then it looks good. There is also a video on you tube which used to be on their site, go to youtube and search for

"Scott Lawson's Story"

I hope all this helps

I watched the video and went to the Neuragen site and it looks promising. Have any idea of if/when the US will start selling it?

archimeech

archimeech

• 500 plus
  • 1,514 posts
If it's truly Neuropathy and you've gone too far. The tingling may be with you forever. Another item to try is Benfotiamine. Lipid Soluble B1

I get mine at Benfotiamine.net and it's pharmaceutical grade and the cheapest and easiest place that i've found to buy it from. I take 600mg of it daily and it's helped my neuropathy greatly.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,176 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
If the tingling and numbness is in your feet only, have your doctor also check for neuromas. I also thought that the numbness in my feet was neuropathy and it actually turned out to be neuromas from wearing boots while I was in Italy and hiking around cobblestone streets. Neuromas can be uncomfortable, but there are ways to relieve it with surgery or cortisone.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,161 posts
:topic:

i see my post to this thread has been deleted, and i have no idea why

is this a big HINT to me?

No, and I see no record of it being deleted. For some reason it did not go through. Try again.

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,161 posts

It will take several weeks for the metformin to take full effect, and up to a few weeks for the Actos to kick in. Then after you gain control and keep your bg's below a 100 as much as you can it will probably take some more time for your nerves to recover.
BTW we are in the same city.

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts
Damaged nerves can take a LONG time to recover. Eighteen months is considered quick. Hang in there. Tingling at least indicates they are functioning!
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts

If the tingling and numbness is in your feet only, have your doctor also check for neuromas. I also thought that the numbness in my feet was neuropathy and it actually turned out to be neuromas from wearing boots while I was in Italy and hiking around cobblestone streets. Neuromas can be uncomfortable, but there are ways to relieve it with surgery or cortisone.

Would this also include chronic leg crossing? I am really trying to stop doing this. I cross at the ankles and knee tops. Maybe this is my problem?

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts

It will take several weeks for the metformin to take full effect, and up to a few weeks for the Actos to kick in. Then after you gain control and keep your bg's below a 100 as much as you can it will probably take some more time for your nerves to recover.
BTW we are in the same city.

Well hello neighbor! :D

blight275

blight275

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

I watched the video and went to the Neuragen site and it looks promising. Have any idea of if/when the US will start selling it?

It's available in the US in quite a lot of places, check out the Origin BioMed site and go to "buy it" then either "stores near you" or you can order online direct from them.

Its reeeaaally hard to get it in the UK, there's only 1 online supplier :S

Good luck :)

Achilles

Achilles

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Debbie Sue. In my case, my tingling in the feet caused me to go to the doctor too. It has gone down considerably in the past couple of weeks. I've been on Metformin for about 7 weeks now. As others have mentioned give it some time. If it is too uncomfortable for you to wait, talk to your doctor.

Oh I am also exercising 30 - 40 minutes / day about 5 times per week to help blood flow.
low carb diet / exercise / Metformin ER 1000 mg/day / HbA1C 6.1%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users