Overnight BS Ups and Downs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
2 hours after dinner last night, my BS was 133. I had nothing else to eat until this morning after my fasting BS of 156. Why did my BS go up overnight instead of hanging steady or going down? Is it just the nature of the beast? My/PA's goal is 120 or less for fasting BS.

My BS is down quite a bit since starting meds a week ago. From 300+ to 100+ and getting lower daily. :)

I'm still looking for a diabetic breakfast smoothie recipe. I miss my smoothies!
Please bare with me... I am struggling over here.

Scrabblechick

Scrabblechick

• 500 plus
  • 1,084 posts
Could be a little minor Dawn Phenomenon (DP) in action. Our livers have Attention Deficit Disorder and must have something to occupy them or they start misbehaving by dumping glucose.

Try eating a small, protein-ish snack before bed, like a piece of cheese or peanut butter on a cracker. Some DF members swear by a glass of red wine. This gives your liver something to do at night besides make more glucose. This has really, really worked for me, as does taking my exercise (walking) at night. I rarely wake up over 120-- usually it's down near 100.

Glad to hear your numbers are starting down in just a week on meds! Awesome! Good post-meal numbers, too.

Keep up the good work! :)
Glycemic impact diet; exercise (jujitsu, walking); Metformin 2000 mg;
Victoza, 1.2 mg per day; Enalapril 40 mg; Prevachol
A1C, 11-10: 5.2!:elefant:
A1C, 9-1-09: 5.3!!; A1C, 5-19-09: 5.1!; A1C, 2-12-09: 5.3!; A1C, 11-14-08: 5.2!; A1C, 8-7-08: 6.3; A1C, 5-1-08: 5.6; A1C, 2-5-08: 7.4

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts

Could be a little minor Dawn Phenomenon (DP) in action. Our livers have Attention Deficit Disorder and must have something to occupy them or they start misbehaving by dumping glucose.

Lol! Thanks for brightening my day with that!

I will try a snack tonight and see what happens. It hadn't even occurred to me about the PDP. I bet that's what it was. I will give the peanut butter a try, but it'll be on celery since crackers cause my BS to skyrocket. Thanks again! :D

mzteacher

mzteacher

• 500 plus
  • 2,149 posts
hi debbie sue...
sure is a lot to learn and take on isn't it??
a smoothie i like is using hood milk product...{tastes great and tastes like milk to me even in cereal)
2-3 strawberries, ice and some sweetner like splenda...and blend...i used to make if for my kids with milk in the morning or for snacks...also good with 1/2 a banana instead if you can tolerate it and with that i like to put in a tsp or so of malt flavor....little carb makes a big flavor difference...much like a milkshake taste for either of them....only more refreshing with the ice iin it...i am sure you can get creative from here!
byt the way hood chocolate milk is an amazing treat!!
susan

Scrabblechick

Scrabblechick

• 500 plus
  • 1,084 posts
And if you can't find the chocolate Hood (can't seem to get it around here), you can make chocolate milk by mixing 2 tsp Splenda, 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa and a dash of salt in a cup. Add 2 tsp water and a smidge of vanilla and stir it into a paste. Then, add milk and stir until combined! Easy!

You're very welcome for the smile. Glad I could help. :)
Glycemic impact diet; exercise (jujitsu, walking); Metformin 2000 mg;
Victoza, 1.2 mg per day; Enalapril 40 mg; Prevachol
A1C, 11-10: 5.2!:elefant:
A1C, 9-1-09: 5.3!!; A1C, 5-19-09: 5.1!; A1C, 2-12-09: 5.3!; A1C, 11-14-08: 5.2!; A1C, 8-7-08: 6.3; A1C, 5-1-08: 5.6; A1C, 2-5-08: 7.4

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
THANK YOU for the smoothie recipe! I thought I was going to have to give up milk until I checked it's GI and found it's on the low end. I'm still not too sure about fresh fruits yet, but this is only week 2 of my new way of life. I may invest in some Da Vinci sf syrups and bottled fruit flavorings.

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
About the smoothie- Experiment with using cucumber to substitute for one of your higher glycemic fruits.

Debbie Sue, actually it sounds like you are getting those BGs down pretty quickly. That cannot be just the metformin doing that. You must be doing some other things. Very good. You are on your way! How are you feeling physically?

jerryn

jerryn

• 500 plus
  • 634 posts
Debbie Sue,

Maybe your glucose is higher in the morning due to the same cause as I have. At wake up time my liver dumps a cocktail of glucose and adrenalin into my blood stream, alittle too much glucose. My numbers are always the highest in the morning.

BrianSCohen

BrianSCohen

• 500 plus
  • 645 posts
Debbie Sue,

You are doing great!! Just cut yourself some slack. It took you years to get where you are and it is just going to take some time to get things back on track. You have made outstanding progress already. Getting your numbers down to target just takes some time. In my case, I was diagnosed in full in early Dec with an HbA1c of 8%. I first got a meter on Feb 28th and my fasting readings were 150-160 mg/dL. It took me until June before I could get then down to an average in the 120s and October before I was able to get it to an average below 120 mg/dL.

You are doing great, just give it some time so that you can learn about all this stuff.
...brian

T2 since 7/05. 48 yrs. 5'11 195 lbs.
Exercise, very low carb diet
HbA1c 9/07 - 6.3%, 3/08 - 6.2%, 6/08 - 6.2%

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts

About the smoothie- Experiment with using cucumber to substitute for one of your higher glycemic fruits.

Debbie Sue, actually it sounds like you are getting those BGs down pretty quickly. That cannot be just the metformin doing that. You must be doing some other things. Very good. You are on your way! How are you feeling physically?

Oh, well, hmmm... cucumber? We aren't the best of friends. lol! Any other subs for cukes or fruit? (someone please say chocolate!)

Physically I feel fine. I do get woke up during the night, sometimes, feeling hungry, but otherwise, I'm feeling fine. Actually I feel better than I did when i was eating sugar and high fat every day. I'm exercising regularly and that's helping a lot.

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts

Debbie Sue,

Maybe your glucose is higher in the morning due to the same cause as I have. At wake up time my liver dumps a cocktail of glucose and adrenalin into my blood stream, alittle too much glucose. My numbers are always the highest in the morning.

Is that acceptable to your doctor? I just don't want to be put on any more meds.

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,085 posts

2 hours after dinner last night, my BS was 133. I had nothing else to eat until this morning after my fasting BS of 156. Why did my BS go up overnight instead of hanging steady or going down?

There's no proof it did. 133 156 are basically the same reading, and once is not a trend. Repeat it many times; then you can start worrying about it.

Don't ever make a regimen change based on a single test! A one-time adjustment yes, a permanant change no.
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,594 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
You've not been on the meds you're on long enough to see if your morning #s will stay high or not.

That being said, my doc set a goal of 110 or less fasting...and I rarely meet that goal. However, my other numbers throughout the day are much lower than the goal set, and until this bout of shingles, my A1Cs have been good, so I don't worry too much.

After your meds get in your system, you can try taking your metformin later in the evening (still not on an empty stomach though) and this might help with morning #s. Taking it at bedtime instead of dinner will keep it in your system longer and the a.m. numbers may come down that way.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

EllieK

EllieK

• 500 plus
  • 228 posts
For a breakfast smoothy -
1/4 c. frozen berries (makes it seem more smoothy like)
Protein powder (look for one with low carb, no nasty chemicals)
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 Tblsp. flax seed
1 c. Almond milk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users