Post-op vitrectomy

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Lisa971

Lisa971

• 500 plus
  • 102 posts
What are the typical restrictions (of daily activities) are there after vitrectomy surgery? I know it depends on the individual surgery, but in general....?

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,109 posts
Nothing that would bust a vessel: any exercise or lifting. I was down for three months, out of work two or three weeks
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Lisa971

Lisa971

• 500 plus
  • 102 posts
What was the purpose of your surgery? How long did it take, for vision to be clear enough to see to read? what about to drive? Is vision only affected in the eye that undergoes the surgery, or are both eyes numbed and/or dilated?
Also, did you need to have help (from family/close friends) in doing some things afterwards, and if so, how long?

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,109 posts

What was the purpose of your surgery? How long did it take, for vision to be clear enough to see to read? what about to drive? Is vision only affected in the eye that undergoes the surgery, or are both eyes numbed and/or dilated?
Also, did you need to have help (from family/close friends) in doing some things afterwards, and if so, how long?

I had a pars plana membrane peel. I had menhoraging in my let eye that was clotting up and well, blinding me. I've written a lot about it on here.

I was in when the doors opened at 6am and I was in line for a coffee around 10am, maybe 10:30.

http://www.diabetesf...html#post244867

http://www.diabetesf...html#post154920

I see from old posts you've been fighting this for quite awhile. When do you go?
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Lisa971

Lisa971

• 500 plus
  • 102 posts
Thanks. I will read some of your previous posts (no use in repeating yourself over and over :)
My doc is closely monitoring my right eye -a line of scar tissue on the new membrane (?) is causing wrinking on the macula. And, I have continuous hemorrhaging into the vitreous, some of which has not cleared in the 6-8 months that it has been there. I call these people my little black ghosts.... in cognito
-one of them appeared in the form of a nice beard on people's faces haha
Anyway, doc keeps mentioning the surgery, but has still not decided whether or not it is neccessary, so I guess that's good! I've just been obsessing and anxious about it and if I have it because I'm not sure of the inconvenience as well as the results on vision...(but right now I am anticipating the inconvenience of post-op restrictions)

RobiJo

RobiJo

• 500 plus
  • 968 posts
Lisa, unlike some of the others here, I was completely knocked out for surgery. Not sure if that's what made the difference but I went back to work in a week, driving and all (though my drive is not too rough and low traffic) The restriction I had was no heavy lifting or exercise (walking was fine---though tough because the bright light bothered me) the first few weeks.

After my second surgery (other eye) I went white water rafting, repelling, and rock climbing about 3 1/2 weeks later.

A year later both my eyes are in stable condition and I've not had any further bleeding or floaters. I was very scared and nervous about the surgeries. Afterwards--while expensive and a bit more inconvenient...the laser treatments were far worse and more demoralizing. Keep in mind the long term goals, rather than the short term inconvenience.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 Est.1984
MM 722 and CGMS; Novalog
Vitrectomies May 2007 & July 2007
Had a Baby Girl 7/2010! She is perfect!

Cinnabon

Cinnabon

• 500 plus
  • 3,291 posts
I wish u the best. I have had 3 myself. Have you heard of Avastin? its a wonderful medication that is shot into the eye ane does great with hemmorrages (sp)
T1- 27 yrs
MM-522

A1C steady @ 6.9 for 1.5 yrs. Endo decided to keep me there after a severe hypo causing car accident.
10-2010- 7.1:eek: Due to Ayestin, a medication for an Ovarian Cyst. Its gone but Very BAD side effects, such as constant HBS.

Posted Image
I see thru God's eyes!!!!

http://www.facebook....Leon/1068478571

peej07

peej07

• 500 plus
  • 308 posts
I had what you have about a year ago. This April I had a victerctomy done and it has gone very well. I took a week off of work and the day after the surgery I was seeing 20/80, the following week I was 20/30 and the next week I was 20/20. After a month my doc lifted all restrictions and told me to have a nice summer. Of course as fate would have it my good eye had a bleeder yesterday so I'm afraid I might have to go through it all over again in my other eye. We'll see.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DX type 1 11/12/1979
Paradigm 512
Diovan htc 320mb
Lipator 10mg
Niaspan 750mg
Efexor XR 150
Too many laser blasts to remember :mad:
Victerctomy 4/3/2008 I can see clearly now that the rain has gone!

Better life through Chemistry......:cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users