Is Crystal Light a safe drink?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
I really like the flavors of this drink, but not real sure if it's safe to drink. I posted the ingredients below. Could someone tell me if it contains any sweeteners that would raise BS?

Ingredients: CITRIC ACID (PROVIDES TARTNESS), CALCIUM CITRATE, MALTODEXTRIN, MALIC ACID, ASPARTAME (SWEETENER), ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), MAGNESIUM OXIDE (PREVENTS CAKING), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (SWEETENER), SOY LECITHIN, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, YELLOW 5, RED 40, BLUE 1.
Please bare with me... I am struggling over here.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,052 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I drink several Crystal Light and other generic sugar free water add-ins daily without problem. Have for many years now.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,118 posts
Definately a no no for me. It has more than five ingredients, comes in a sealed package, has unpronounceable ingredients, and contains aspartame - a nasty. It's not food.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Olidus

Olidus

• 500 plus
  • 541 posts
It will/should not affect your BGs.
I drink it all the time - its the closets to "purple drink" I can get without drinking the real deal.
Mark K~
Type 1
Dx June 21st 2007

HbA1c
-June 22, 07 - 12.8 - _ -Jan 23, 09- 5.8 - _ - _ - May 16, 2011 - 7.8
-Sep 27, 07 - 6.6- _ - _ -Aug 4, 09 - 6.2 - _ - _ - Nov 2, 2011 - 7.4
-Jan 3, 08 - 6.0 - _ - _ - Nov 3, 09 - 6.5
-April 16, 08 - 6.1 - _ -_Mar 8, 10 - 6.8
-July 21, 08 - 5.5 - _ - _ July 23, 10 - 6.8
-Oct 8, 08 - 6.1 - _ - _ - Nov 29, 10 - 6.9

MDI - NovaRapid & Levemir

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Diabetes is for the intelligent and disciplined."

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,052 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
Walmart brand has an apple flavored drink that tasts very close to real apple juice. I have it with my b/fast many mornings...just like I used to do with regular apple juice. Its my favorite add-in so far.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

bryan42

bryan42

• 500 plus
  • 918 posts

Walmart brand has an apple flavored drink that tasts very close to real apple juice. I have it with my b/fast many mornings...just like I used to do with regular apple juice. Its my favorite add-in so far.

I can back Linda up on that!!! Ever since she recommended them, I have been buying 3 boxes every week!! They are the best thats out there. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Diagnosed Type 2 April '07
(April '07-A1C= 6.9)
(August '07 A1C= 6.4)
(March '08 A1C= 6.4)
(June '08 A1C= 6.3)
(Sept '08 A1C= 7.4)
(Dec '09 A1C= 8.0)
(Nov '10 A1C= 8.6) whoops! :o
(Sept '11 A1C= 10.9)
(March '12 A1C=6.9! BOOYAH)
(October '12 A1C=7.1 )
(April '13 A1C=7.6 )
(Sept '13 A1C=6.6 ) hard work is paying off!

Phil 4:13

Mich

Mich

• 500 plus
  • 2,242 posts
Goodness, I hope so.

One of the prioblems of being a diabetic is sometimes when you need a sweet fix, anything that is "free" is also what John calls NOT FOOD.

I prefer to just not go overboard, but use them anyway. However, Crystal Light Peach Tea is one of my favorites and I have used all of their products for years without apparent harm.

I've been using artificially sweetened things for a long time. Ask me in another 49 years and I'll tell you if they had any bad effect.:)

Mich

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,226 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I would drink it in MODERATION. Anything with Aspertame gives me a headache. I used to drink a hot apple cider with aspertame. If you heat it, it really gives me a whopper headache.

If you have no problems, I would drink it occassionally. I would not use it as a replacement for water which is the best drink for you of all.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
I buy the "On The Go's" and add them to bottled water, especially during the hot Summer months.

Karen

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
Thanks for the feedback. :)

I have been reading, Dr. Bernstein, about hidden sweeteners in some of my favorite products that raise BS. Splenda and SF Jell-O, in powdered forms, have those hidden sweeteners. I am going to replace the packets with the tablets and the boxed Jell-O with premade SF type from the store. I tested the Jell-O theory and my BS went from 156 to 165 in 2 hours! Wow!!!

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,052 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
A 9 point rise 2 hrs after eating is not bad at all, though both numbers are certainly higher than you'd want them to be.

Before you make a lot of decisions, step back and give your blood sugars time to normalize on your medications. I take the pre-made Jello brand s/f jello to work and make the s/f boxed jello at home and haven't noticed a different, though YMMV.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
Does the bottle have a nutrition label? You need to learn how to read those. Yes the ingredients are important for evaluating if it is "real food" but if you are counting carbs you really need to learn how to read the nutrition label. Many stores here have on-staff dietitians who will give you a free tour of the store and help you get started with label reading.

If it is not on the product you can usually find it on-line. For example: Calories in Kraft Foods, Inc. - Crystal Light Sugar Free Low Calorie Iced Tea Mix,...

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
Oh yes there's nutrition labels... tiny print too. I used to have no problem reading them until lately. My DH is having to read these for me now since my sight is blurry. Going to have to buy a magnifying glass for the trips to the store.

HelenM

HelenM

• 500 plus
  • 1,029 posts
Thats not a drink its a laboratory experiment. Sorry I agree with John. I wouldn't drink it but it shouldn't affect your BS.

I was going to suggest a flavoured water but to checked out the ingredients first. It meant interesting reading because I checked out a similar drink from the same producer in France and the US.
The French version has only water and fruit (lemon, raspberry or grapefruit (presumably a tiny amount since it has less than 1 carb )
Volvic lemon in the US has water, sugar, citric acid, natural flavour, natural lemon flavour, potassium benzoate (though not much sugar as it still comes in at 1 carb for 240ml).
Its still a bit chemical but not as many as the crystal light.I have a feeling it will cost a lot more than here.

Alternatively you could just add a squeeze of lemon or other fruit juice to some water with a bit of splenda if you need the sweetness.

UpNorth

UpNorth

• 500 plus
  • 1,393 posts
I drink just plain water, or water with taste in. The taste stuff is called Fun Light here and comes in many different flavours. It's decent enough, but I do prefer just water most of the time, and for soda COKE ZERO :D
Posted Image

Type1 since october 2004.

MDI: Novorapid and Levemir with Novopen4

Main BG meter: Accu-Chek Compact Plus

BrianSCohen

BrianSCohen

• 500 plus
  • 645 posts
I drink the crystal light. Some think the artificial sweeteners are bad for you, moderation is ok. What I do tho is drink it in weak form. I buy it in the bulk form and add a half teaspoon to my water bottle. I probably drink a half gallon of the stuff every day. It has not caused me any problem.

The stealth sweeteners that Dr. B discusses are things like the maltodextrin that is put into splenda packets. This is carb. Turns out, if you have less than a gram, you can consider it zero in the nutrient label. A packet of sweetener is so small that you are allowed to list everything as zero.
...brian

T2 since 7/05. 48 yrs. 5'11 195 lbs.
Exercise, very low carb diet
HbA1c 9/07 - 6.3%, 3/08 - 6.2%, 6/08 - 6.2%

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
+1 for just plain cold water... pretty much all I ever drink these days

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
I mainly drink ice water, but an occasional Crystal Light is such a refreshing change. I like Splenda in packet form too, but one packet is almost too 'sweet' for me.

Real4

Real4

• 500 plus
  • 459 posts

Definately a no no for me. It has more than five ingredients, comes in a sealed package, has unpronounceable ingredients, and contains aspartame - a nasty. It's not food.

Any thing you eat or drink (with a few exceptions like absolutely pure water) has more than five ingredients that have chemical names. What do you think is in an apple? How many different chemicals -- just because something was "naturally" produced does not meant it's not a chemical--would a strawberry have?

iDream

iDream

• 500 plus
  • 338 posts

Yeah that aspartame is baddddd

A1C Pre-Pump: 6.1

Posted Image

A1C Post-Pump: 5.4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users