Photo

hot/sweaty while/after eating?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: hot/sweaty while/after eating? (53 member(s) have cast votes)

hot/sweaty while/after eating?

1. Type 1 / not resistant. Never hot/sweaty. (16 votes [30.19%])

Percentage of vote: 30.19%

2. Type 1 / not resistant. Sometimes hot/sweaty. (15 votes [28.30%])

Percentage of vote: 28.30%

3. Type 2 / resistant. Never hot/sweaty. (11 votes [20.75%])

Percentage of vote: 20.75%

4. Type 2 / resistant. Sometimes hot/sweaty. (11 votes [20.75%])

Percentage of vote: 20.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts
This thread

[url]http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/type-2-diabetes/29295-s-kind-embarrassing-but.html[/url]

has me curious. Is feeling hot/sweaty while eating characteristic of insulin resistance?

With smaller meals, I notice no such symptoms. When I have one of my monster lunches, I often feel hot afterward... and also have an increased basal requirement.

Anyone else care to chime in?

(I'm type 1, and generally not resistant. However, my hot/sweaty episodes go along with high-carbohydrate meals where I exhibit increased postprandial basal requirements. I voted option B.)

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
I posted in that thread. I (T2) do have enough insulin resistance that I manage through two prescribed orals, plus r-ALA, plus exercise, plus low carb eating. But I do not sweat when eating.

I think there is likely vagal stimulation/signaling involved in causing the sweating. I think there are also non-diabetic people who sweat when eating. Just one of the human body's peculiarities.

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts

I posted in that thread. I (T2) do have enough insulin resistance that I manage through two prescribed orals, plus r-ALA, plus exercise, plus low carb eating. But I do not sweat when eating.

I think there is likely vagal stimulation/signaling involved in causing the sweating. I think there are also non-diabetic people who sweat when eating. Just one of the human body's peculiarities.

D'oh. I shouldn't have snubbed non-diabetics in my poll wording.

I'll have to read up on vagal stimulation. Perhaps I just need a larger meal to notice it...

I'm still curious, though, if anyone feels like voting. :)

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts
In another thread, REDLAN is again sharing valuable knowledge:

[url]http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/type-2-diabetes/29436-elevated-liver-enzymes-what.html#post346051[/url]

grace girl

grace girl

• 500 plus
  • 1,500 posts
I'm type 1, and I don't think I've actually broken a sweat more than 5 times in the past 8 years since dx. Even if I'm outside, working in the heat. Weird.
~Holly~
Incorrectly dx'ed type 2 7/00 :eek:
Correctly dx'ed type 1 5/01
MDI
Lantus 2x daily & Humalog

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
I've never experienced getting hot/sweaty when eating unless I'm eating very spicy food (or yellow mustard).

I do get cold when I drink an iced drink, and hot when drinking a hot drink.
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

Leadfoone

Leadfoone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
What if you are hot/sweaty type 1 and insulin resistant?
●Bowie, MD IT Director
●Type 1 diabetic since 10/15/75
●Animas pumper since December of 2000
~IR 1000 (Dec. 2000-Feb. 2006)
~IR 1200 (Jan. 2006 - ?)
●Dexcom CGM (Nov. 2007 - ?)
●LifeScan OneTouch UltraSmart
●LifeScan OneTouch Ultra

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts

What if you are hot/sweaty type 1 and insulin resistant?

If "resistant enough" to match a type 2, vote that way. If not, stick with the "only type 1" crowd.

Yeah, I worded the poll badly. I probably should have skipped the "type x" altogether.

I'm trying to see if insulin resistance correlates with the hot/sweaty bit. Although not a scientific poll, it appears thus far as if there's no connection.

poppa

poppa

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
I chose the last one, but it's not sometimes...

I'm ALWAYS hot and I sweat at every meal!

I'm diagnosed as type 2 by my Dr. since 96, but I'm now insulin dependant and am about to have my first visit with an endo.

TeeJaxx

TeeJaxx

• 500 plus
  • 176 posts
I also get hot & sweaty after eating. I just always ASSUMED it had something to do with D. Now, maybe I'm not so sure....?
Diagnosed in Jan. 2004
Currently on Metformin x5 a day
Avapro x 1 a day
Diamicron x 1 a day

POSTCARD EXCHANGE ROUND 2
20 SENT
7 RECIEVED

Thank you : Kathi
Vickie
Val
Keith
Gretchen
David
Ellie

Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily

• Validating
  • 162 posts
i'm often hot/sweaty after eating hot food or spicy food

when eating these types of food, my nose will also run.........most annoying

when i go for a walk, especially if it's cold out, my nose will run as well (can you tell i carry kleenex everywhere) sigh

there is a name for this condition (i learned it a long time ago) but there is no treatment for this condition, so i just forgot what the 'name' for it is

[url=http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9270]Gustatory sweating definition - Medical Dictionary definitions of popular medical terms easily defined on MedTerms[/url]
gustatory sweating is apparently a complication of diabetes (read the link above, hope the mods allow this post)

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts

I also get hot & sweaty after eating. I just always ASSUMED it had something to do with D. Now, maybe I'm not so sure....?

According to REDLAN's post elsewhere, I guess not.

So far, there seems to be no correlation between insulin resistance and the phenomenon.

peej07

peej07

• 500 plus
  • 308 posts
I just tend to be hot and sweaty.:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DX type 1 11/12/1979
Paradigm 512
Diovan htc 320mb
Lipator 10mg
Niaspan 750mg
Efexor XR 150
Too many laser blasts to remember :mad:
Victerctomy 4/3/2008 I can see clearly now that the rain has gone!

Better life through Chemistry......:cool:

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts

I just tend to be hot and sweaty.:D

Heh. Actually, if my BG runs too high, that happens to me. Pre-DX, I was just plain gross all the time. :(

Bucky53

Bucky53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I sweat while eating something very spicy and think this is normal, but lately, I have started feeling hot and sweating after eating a healthy bowl of oatmeal. As with others in this thread, I don't know why this might be. I haven't noticed it after eating bacon and eggs, so I am thinking it might be Celiac disease. I will have to mention it to my doctor the next time I see him.

WendyL10

WendyL10

• 500 plus
  • 211 posts
I just saw this thread (it is old). However, I have this issue big time and actually have it on 'my list' to discuss with my Endo next week. I keep thinking there's something going on or wrong.

I sweat 1 hour or so after nearly EVERY meal if my blood sugars move at all, it seems. It doesn't have to do with lows, it seems, it happens when they start to go up at all. I was thinking maybe it was just the insulin starting to work? It's actually starting to concern me. I sweat terribly when my blood sugars start to go above 140's, I get very hot..when I start to get to normal, 70's I get cold. But this sweating thing, it's just a rush of heat, sweat around my face, chest, sometimes my entire body just breaks out in sweats and I'm not even hot. I do low carb, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Does anyone have any insight around this. I was thinking it was my novolog and maybe changing to another fast acting...?

Thanks!

Momoftwinboys

Momoftwinboys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Ask your physician about damage to the vagus nerve. It causes gustatory sweating. Whenever I eat something that would cause me to salivate, e.g. Fresh fruits and veggies, sour, spicy, etc. I sweat profusely especially around my hairline. It's a type of neuropathy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users